Speculation: Habs for Sale???

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I think Molson is being so silent after the stupid first round pick and how bad his initial response was to it.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
he management of the Montreal Canadiens has been accumulating bad decisions over the past few months and it is possible to see that Geoff Molson remains very silent despite his team's problems.
Martin Lemay of 91.9 Sports tried to explain Molson's silence and the host suggested that the Habs are currently on sale and the owner is looking for a new buyer for his business.
Lemay blew up social networks with his questioning and he gave a few examples including the odd contract management from Marc Bergevin for a few months as well as the situation surrounding Shea Weber.
The CH is currently worth 1.3 billion US dollars according to the famous Forbes magazine in addition to the many investments including land and buildings that belong to the CH Group.
Martin Lemay's storyline is highly implausible, but it could still explain why Geoff Molson is so inconspicuous in the media.
The Habs are a cash cow for Molson. Why would he sell now?

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
The Habs are a cash cow for Molson. Why would he sell now?
Sell high? Maybe he sees their value dropping as the team does not make the playoffs the next few years? And I don't know how much of a cash cow they have been over the last 20 months of so, if anything I would not be surprised like most other teams, they are running in the red thanks to the empty arenas.

Reactions: BLONG7

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Sell high? Maybe he sees their value dropping as the team does not make the playoffs the next few years? And I don't know how much of a cash cow they have been over the last 20 months of so, if anything I would not be surprised like most other teams, they are running in the red thanks to the empty arenas.
Before Covid Geoff was making $150 million a year on Habs. Plus club value was going up annually close to another million. It would take a mint for him to move the Habs.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Our best case is to get a very rich owner who sees the Montreal Canadiens not as an entity to make money, but to bring back their former glory. Recognizing it as a hobby and not a central source of income.

Then we can get in hockey minds that will take a patient approach instead of trying to maximize butts in seats and concessions.

Reactions: BLONG7 and MXD

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
We'd need a kind of Lawrence Stroll-like owner, minus the whole son thing and the tax evasion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad