Habs fans reaction in case of Nordiques return.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Nobody wants to live in Quebec city, nobody will want to be drafted there, no free agents will sign there, the whole thing is just stupid, be happy you have the Ramparts, you wanna cheer for an NHL teams then cheer for the stupid Habs like the rest of us.
In early 90s, they filled Le Coliseum 14,800 average with pathetic team. No doubt fans will support a team. But so much political uncertainty comes out of there, plus a small tv market, then our dollar is always up and down. Several small reasons why NHL is dragging its feet on returning to Quebec.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
In early 90s, they filled Le Coliseum 14,800 average with pathetic team. No doubt fans will support a team. But so much political uncertainty comes out of there, plus a small tv market, then our dollar is always up and down. Several small reasons why NHL is dragging its feet on returning to Quebec.
Fans would support it no question, but it would be a very undesirable destination for players to land.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Nobody wants to live in Quebec city, nobody will want to be drafted there, no free agents will sign there, the whole thing is just stupid, be happy you have the Ramparts, you wanna cheer for an NHL teams then cheer for the stupid Habs like the rest of us.

Obviously you dislike Québec, but know that economically, it might be the most booming city in the country.

How is Québec more uncertain politically than Montréal?

The size/currency arguments are also valid for Winnipeg.

I personally see two 'main' reasons why Québec is not back yet.

The first is that the conferences are uneven. Bettman wants to solve that first with Seattle.

The second is more murky, but was first mentioned by lesaffaires a few months ago, and it's that other Canadian owners don't want Péladeau at the owners table, because of his political views.

Québec is also convenient for him as a threat for owners who are not cooperative.

Last edited:

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Obviously you dislike Québec, but know that economically, it might be the most booming city in the country.

Many players will not want to live in Quebec city because it is 100% French, Montreal is a different animal, it's a world class city and you can get by without knowing barely any French.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

The first is that the conferences are uneven. Bettman wants to solve that first with Seattle.

The second is more murky, but was first mentioned by lesaffaires a few months ago, and it's that other Canadian owners don't want Péladeau at the owners table, because of his political views.

Québec is also convenient for him as a threat for owners who are not cooperative.

The biggest reason QC is not in is because there are simply bigger markets available for expansion/relocation.

Cities like Seattle automatically move to the front of the line when they are interested. Houston would be right there too, and I imagine KC would also be more enticing to the NHL.

QC has to wait for a perfect storm where there is a team in despair, and and none of the larger markets are tangibly interested at the moment. Case in point, Atlanta moving to Winnipeg. To this day, I still cant believe how everything just fell in place for that to happen.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
The biggest reason QC is not in is because there are simply bigger markets available for expansion/relocation.

Cities like Seattle automatically move to the front of the line when they are interested. Houston would be right there too, and I imagine KC would also be more enticing to the NHL.

QC has to wait for a perfect storm where there is a team in despair, and and none of the larger markets are tangibly interested at the moment. Case in point, Atlanta moving to Winnipeg. To this day, I still cant believe how everything just fell in place for that to happen.

Cheers to Atlanta for giving Canada 2 pretty damn good NHL teams! :cheers:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Montreal is a way bigger market. It can take a dramatic drop in our dollar and economical downturn associated with a separatist movement.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012

Is this a surprise? The guy who is a political leader of a movement to break up the country is unpopular with people who like the country.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto

Size of the city and size of the market are two totally different concepts.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Many players will not want to live in Quebec city because it is 100% French, Montreal is a different animal, it's a world class city and you can get by without knowing barely any French.

Again, you show that you don't know anything about Québec (the province nor the city). They have English elementary, high schools and a Cégep in Québec.

Additionally, stats canada has found that 44.5% of Québécois are bilingual. Recensement en bref: Un nouveau sommet pour le bilinguisme français-anglais

I suggest you visit the city for yourself and judge how good people there are in English. I don't think you'll have any problem to order food, go in shops or chat with your favorite barista in a café in shakespeare's language. Same in my hometown of Sherbrooke or pretty much anywhere in the province. Québec as a whole is by far the most bilingual province in the country. Stop with your non-sense.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Is this a surprise? The guy who is a political leader of a movement to break up the country is unpopular with people who like the country.

I don't think it's a surprise that some would be against him because of his political views. I'm just saying that very few people mention it as a reason why Québec doesn't have a team.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Again, you show that you don't know anything about Québec (the province nor the city). They have English elementary, high schools and a Cégep in Québec.

Additionally, stats canada has found that 44.5% of Québécois are bilingual. Recensement en bref: Un nouveau sommet pour le bilinguisme français-anglais

I suggest you visit the city for yourself and judge how good people there are in English. I don't think you'll have any problem to order food, go in shops or chat with your favorite barista in a café in shakespeare's language. Same in my hometown of Sherbrooke or pretty much anywhere in the province. Québec as a whole is by far the most bilingual province in the country. Stop with your non-sense.
I am 37, perfectly bi-lingual (hey le gros ca vas?, pas pire pis toi big?) and from Montreal, i know all about Quebec. I'm not speaking nonsense, most players will not want to live and start a familly in Quebec city, it's a French city and yes it's a beautiful place.

I don't know why you are trying to make this something it's not. Quebec city never has and never will be a desired landing spot for hockey players and the main reasons being language and taxes.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I am 37, perfectly bi-lingual (hey le gros ca vas?, pas pire pis toi big?) and from Montreal, i know all about Quebec. I'm not speaking nonsense, most players will not want to live and start a familly in Quebec city, it's a French city and yes it's a beautiful place.

I don't know why you are trying to make this something it's not. Quebec city never has and never will be a desired landing spot for hockey players and the main reasons being language and taxes.

Who besides Lindros refused to go play in Québec? Lindros refused to go there because of what Aubut did to his mother, by the way.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I want them desperately back just to hate them again, there won't be any build up time either.

I am 47 and went through all the battles with them and the minute it gets announced they are coming back I will be in 100% despise mode. The hate is already deep within my soul with those guys.

Hell, they don't even have a team yet and I hate their guts already.

Will be great to have them back, can't wait to stomp on them.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Who besides Lindros refused to go play in Québec? Lindros refused to go there because of what Aubut did to his mother, by the way.
Ok man, look, many of us will agree that it's an undesirable location to be drafted to or as a UFA to sign, if you don't wanna believe it then fine but there is something to it and many of us Quebequers understand it, we're not making it up out of nothing. If you wanna turn a blind eye and come up with statistics and articles that's your right. I'm done talking about it with you, your bias is too prevalent and that is clear by your user name, you have lots of Quebec pride and that is great but the homer glasses need to come off before you can look in from the outside and get a different view of things.

Reactions: lo striver

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
Dean Talafous. He retired instead, when he was traded to Quebec.

I'm from and in Quebec City, and am ashamed of a couple of things about my city, but as a player, I'd rather play here than in Winnipeg or Buffalo. It certainly wouldn't be a destination of choice for UFAs, and would be on a lot of NTC, but it wouldn't be worse than many teams in the league. My guess is that in general, Europeans would rather play here than in Carolina or Columbus.

By the way I hated the Nordiques and would still hate them, but they were one of the things that prevented the Habs from being mediocre for too long.

Reactions: QuebecPride

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Dean Talafous. He retired instead, when he was traded to Quebec.

I'm from and in Quebec City, and am ashamed of a couple of things about my city, but as a player, I'd rather play here than in Winnipeg or Buffalo. It certainly wouldn't be a destination of choice for UFAs, and would be on a lot of NTC, but it wouldn't be worse than many teams in the league. My guess is that in general, Europeans would rather play here than in Carolina or Columbus.

By the way I hated the Nordiques and would still hate them, but they were one of the things that prevented the Habs from being mediocre for too long.
played for us based teams his whole career.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Ok man, look, many of us will agree that it's an undesirable location to be drafted to or as a UFA to sign, if you don't wanna believe it then fine but there is something to it and many of us Quebequers understand it, we're not making it up out of nothing. If you wanna turn a blind eye and come up with statistics and articles that's your right. I'm done talking about it with you, your bias is too prevalent and that is clear by your user name, you have lots of Quebec pride and that is great but the homer glasses need to come off before you can look in from the outside and get a different view of things.

You have a bias against Québec, I have a bias for Québec. The way you depict it Québec would be the worst market in the NHL. There are worse destinations for NHL players, namely Winnipeg, Buffalo, Ottawa and Edmonton (yes, despite McDavid). My user name has nothing to do avec la Ville de Québec, but the province.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad