Proposal: Habs & Devils

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Done from a Devils perspective. Wood's value will never be higher than it is right now and he's not worth all that. He's a 3rd liner with a 20 goal ceiling that plays nowhere close to his size, cash in on his hot start and get as much value as you can.

yeah

I mean, he's scored at a 16 goal pace over his career, I'd say he's an unusually good finisher for a player of his profile, but I also don't think this season is a breakout. I think he goes back to 10-15 goals a year soon enough. Doubt Fitz can get a 1st round pick for him, but I could see a team that likes his intensity and the odd goal that he can chip in. He's also gotten the penalties under control, which is a big plus.

I think the biggest problem with Wood as far as his value goes is that he's terrible defensively. That's hard to overlook, even if you like the other stuff.

Reactions: Puckclektr

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
huge pass for me as a devils fan. Would rather take the chance Wood continues this beast year in the future than trade him for a mid-late first in a crapshoot draft, a meh 3rd/wth liner that we dont need, and a prospect who has not improved

Except he has.
60 4-9-13
19 2-8-10

His game has been better all-around this year.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The winger from MTL does nothing for NJ. Brook isn't the prospect he was seen to be previously. Essentially it's a mid to late first round pick for Wood. The rest of it has little value for NJ. Most MTL fans won't want to move a first for Wood which I get, but it's not about the player's value in a vacuum, it's about what a team would want to actually trade him. NJ needs Wood's tenacity, speed, and physical play. He's the right age for the team he still has some term left and he's an RFA after that. FranklyNJ doesn't really need a lower first in an underscouted draft. NJ has to start moving forward. MTL has had success this season as is and according to capfriendly MTL has no real cap available at the TDL anyway. Nice idea but these two teams aren't a trade fit.

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006
in comparison to his past years? yes. Also, points arent everything
Sorry , I was comparing it to actual beast seasons and while I agree points aren't everything , nobody is offering the Devils a package like that for a career 25-30 point player .

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
As someone who is guilty of having compared the two players in the past, Miles is not on Blake's level.
Coleman didnt become good until like 24/25. He had a breakout year with the Devils last year, and was traded while playing very well on a contract with term for a good cap hit for a 1st and very good prospect. IDK why people think its crazy to compare the two....

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
The value is there for both teams. I will give the OP full credit here. The problem is that Montreal acquired Staal last week and the possibility of Caufield now that he has signed his ELC. The team has a glaring need at LD. If they are going to trade their 1st rounder it would either be for a LD or a legit top 6 forward with term.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
The winger from MTL does nothing for NJ. Brook isn't the prospect he was seen to be previously. Essentially it's a mid to late first round pick for Wood. The rest of it has little value for NJ. Most MTL fans won't want to move a first for Wood which I get, but it's not about the player's value in a vacuum, it's about what a team would want to actually trade him. NJ needs Wood's tenacity, speed, and physical play. He's the right age for the team he still has some term left and he's an RFA after that. FranklyNJ doesn't really need a lower first in an underscouted draft. NJ has to start moving forward. MTL has had success this season as is and according to capfriendly MTL has no real cap available at the TDL anyway. Nice idea but these two teams aren't a trade fit.

:huh:

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Coleman didnt become good until like 24/25. He had a breakout year with the Devils last year, and was traded while playing very well on a contract with term for a good cap hit for a 1st and very good prospect. IDK why people think its crazy to compare the two....

Because they're two completely different players. Miles Wood is fast and has big body but that's about it. He hasn't synergy with other players, that's why he always has to be used in bottom six because he will always drag down top players. He's also below average defensively and this phrase is actually very generous.

Coleman, on the other hand, is very good defensively, is a very smart player, who can virtually play in all situations. Sure, he had 25 points in his first full season but during that season he was glued to Gibbons and Noesen, both are no longer in NHL. His return was a result of a huge mismatch between his cap hit and actual value, which, in my humble opinion, isn't the case with Miles Wood.

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
Because they're two completely different players. Miles Wood is fast and has big body but that's about it. He hasn't synergy with other players, that's why he always has to be used in bottom six because he will always drag down top players. He's also below average defensively and this phrase is actually very generous.

Coleman, on the other hand, is very good defensively, is a very smart player, who can virtually play in all situations. Sure, he had 25 points in his first full season but during that season he was glued to Gibbons and Noesen, both are no longer in NHL. His return was a result of a huge mismatch between his cap hit and actual value, which, in my humble opinion, isn't the case with Miles Wood.
please, if someone proposed that Coleman trade last year you would be saying the same thing about Coleman as youre saying about Wood now. HFboards loves to pretend they know a players value and then when a trade happens that would be locked when proposed on here everyong claims it was a fair deal. the reality is you have your opinions, I have mine, and the GMs that actually make the reades have theirs

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Stefan Noesen eventually signed with the Sharks and has played 5 games so far this season.

Noesen actually played shockingly well for NJ until he got banged up at the end to the point that it effected his play. If you check out the 2017-18 stats, Wood and Zacha weirdly put up some of their best numbers ever playing with Noesen that season. Noesey was a excellent waiver wire pick up and I will defend his honor.

Reactions: MichaelJ

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
i like Wood but i'm not giving up the equivalent of 2nds and a 1st. 3 assets? no way. and lehkonen is undervalued in all these trade threads too.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Stefan Noesen eventually signed with the Sharks and has played 5 games so far this season.

Noesen actually played shockingly well for NJ until he got banged up at the end to the point that it effected his play. If you check out the 2017-18 stats, Wood and Zacha weirdly put up some of their best numbers ever playing with Noesen that season. Noesey was a excellent waiver wire pick up and I will defend his honor.

Gibbons was also excellent for us that year. I think he lead the team in goals for a month or two.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
huge pass for me as a devils fan. Would rather take the chance Wood continues this beast year in the future than trade him for a mid-late first in a crapshoot draft, a meh 3rd/wth liner that we dont need, and a prospect who has not improved
ya like we are going to give a 1st + for a guy to play on our 3rd line.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Gibbons was also excellent for us that year. I think he lead the team in goals for a month or two.
The 2017-18 Devils had a bunch of strong bottom six players who contributed a lot, Boyle also played very well, Stafford was surprisingly productive and Maroon was a helpful add. There just wasn’t a second scoring line, which is pretty important, and that was in part because Johansson only stayed healthy enough to play a whopping 29 gimpy games. But a great group of bottom lines guys, a couple who had career years (Gibbons, Noesen, as did John Moore on defense).

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I think Miles Wood would be a great LW addition next to either Danault or KK for a good push in the playoffs:

Devils
Miles Wood

Habs
2021 1st round pick
A. Lehkonen
Josh Brook

dunno.. you get a mid-late 1st and a coupla meh players... and hope the pick turns into a guy like the one ya just traded? doesn't make a lot of sense to me

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
The 2017-18 Devils had a bunch of strong bottom six players who contributed a lot, Boyle also played very well, Stafford was surprisingly productive and Maroon was a helpful add. There just wasn’t a second scoring line, which is pretty important, and that was in part because Johansson only stayed healthy enough to play a whopping 29 gimpy games. But a great group of bottom lines guys, a couple who had career years (Gibbons, Noesen, as did John Moore on defense).

This is all correct except for Stafford, who was pretty terrible save a few nice goals early on. I forgot they brought him back the following season, that's a head scratcher.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

Blake Coleman is arguably the best penalty killer in the NHL

Miles Wood has been tremendous this year and we all are loving him, but he is NOT on that level.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The value is there for both teams. I will give the OP full credit here. The problem is that Montreal acquired Staal last week and the possibility of Caufield now that he has signed his ELC. The team has a glaring need at LD. If they are going to trade their 1st rounder it would either be for a LD or a legit top 6 forward with term.

When was the last time a legit top six player with term went for a mid to late first? That’s not snark. In genuinely curious. My perception is that a mid to late first doesn’t really return that sort of player.

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
ya like we are going to give a 1st + for a guy to play on our 3rd line.
I just don’t know how many times this needs to be said. We aren’t actively shopping him. It’s not about what’s fair it’s about what it would take to acquire him. Fair value isn’t what moves Wood. He’s young, fits the age group nicely, and is still a RFA at the end of his contract. No need to sell at fair value

Reactions: AusDev

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
When was the last time a legit top six player with term went for a mid to late first? That’s not snark. In genuinely curious. My perception is that a mid to late first doesn’t really return that sort of player.
JT Miller was traded for Vancouver’s 2020 1st, 2019 3rd and some random BS signing right to Czech goaltender that didn’t matter. Miller was starting the 2nd year of his 5 year deal when Tampa traded him in June 2019. Is that what you mean?

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad