Post-Game Talk: Habs Bookend Tank Season with a loss to Trana, 4-3

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Game featured a play that epitomizes the Habs' season:

27y9ig.gif

Best news is how this horrendous season has finally ended. Some merchants have gotten a head start on the inevitable ...

27y4rq.jpg

We definitely have steam to blow ...

27y378.jpg

What awaits us now? Well, we're sure to see some of this coming our way, as we hit the off season. That's right, the same fans who assured us of a positive outcome this past season, are sure to be back with even more outlandish affirmations ...

27y2mo.jpg

And off to the Off Season's Year-End Presser presided by your Scowl Master, followed by the usual Triumvirate: the NHL Lottery, the Amateur Draft Cattle Call and UFA "Frenzy".

The Year-End Presser should be a predictable concoction of mangled expressions and disculpatory distractions ... I'll believe major changes when I see them. Only thing that we can count on are a whole new slew of Bergevinian nonsense en franglais s'il vous please ...

$

Unless, Bergevin is finally ready to can Lefebvre in favor of ...

Luckily (or rather unfortunately), we have a primer on what Wilde's tenure behind the Rocket bench is going to look like, with Brian bringing along his long time cue card guy from his CTV days and telegraphing his strategy to the other team by forgetting he's not supposed to use a mic. Same old Wilde, staring into the abyss ... a logical transition from Lefebvre whose abyss was inside his head ...

$

Hopefully the Lottery has a top 3 spot in store for us and the Habs won't be trading it as part of their "reset" strategy ...

27y3ht.jpg

As these events unfold, will we ever find out ...

27y4kv.jpg

Off to your summer reading. Plenty of good books to keep your attention as you await next training camp ...

27y3jm.jpg

27y5vu.jpg

27y6ym.jpg

One thing is more than certain, we need a break from this team ... as they hopefully get the hint and DO SOMETHING ...

27tz7r.jpg

27y6ph.gif

Getting our minds on other stuff will help. Sarah McDaniel will do the honors (racier pics online, if your interest is piqued) ...

27y5z2.gif

27y7jg.gif

27y7pi.gif

Discuss!!

p.s. Last but not least ...
Tough night on many fronts. But the most important is the Humboldt Broncos and we wish all the parents, grieving families and friends, our heartfelt condolences. Props to the Habs, Leafs, Hawks and Jets for their moving commemorative efforts on behalf of the victims and their community.

p.p.s.: here are tonight's highlights, if you missed the game: Spoiler Free NHL Highlights

EPIC post gamer Runner. Had it on in the background, because why waste my time. Had I watched properly we would have won and slipped, or perhaps gained, in the standings more. Ready for our post season disaster should purple pants not be fired. Hang out tight people this could be a bumpy ride. Though I am sure there are some that think this was planned and we shouldn't worry about the weather.

depositphotos_22222965-stock-photo-airplane-in-the-storm.jpg

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
[MOD]doesn't mean montreal has to emulate the rangers, a pretty ****tily run franchise right now too

Corporations are not fans, if the team is generating revenue they are fine with bad seasons, the trick is offering hope after a ****storm like this year.

That's just simplistic and naive. For starters we assume the Habs are making a profit but we have no idea of their relative earnings year to year. Revenues may very well be dropping.

One of the most valuable assets of the Montreal Canadiens is reputation. If you think corporate entities only care about pennies, you're very much mistaken. Losing is bad for business. Declining is bad for business. Being publicly embarrassed by your management is bad for business. Criticism in the sports media, on social media, and in every damn place you can imagine is bad for business. Molson and Bergevin are bad for business.

Last edited by a moderator:

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I am hoping Molson's presser is to announce the firing of everyone and the hiring of a president. The binman's is a thank you to the Habs for giving him a chance, and that now he can move into his real calling, sorting shoes at the bowling alley.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
If i had to write a script on how our season should end, I could not come up with a better, more fitting, or more appropriate ending.....

That 4th Toronto goal was just the perfect ending to our season, both for Price and the entire team....that sums up the season perfectly in that one play....like a cherry on top,

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
That's just simplistic and naive. For starters we assume the Habs are making a profit but we have no idea of their relative earnings year to year. Revenues may very well be dropping.

One of the most valuable assets of the Montreal Canadiens is reputation. If you think corporate entities only care about pennies, you're very much mistaken. Losing is bad for business. Declining is bad for business. Being publicly embarrassed by your management is bad for business. Criticism in the sports media, on social media, and in every damn place you can imagine is bad for business. Molson and Bergevin are bad for business.

I mean, theoretically, sure, but Molson isn't selling an easily replaced product like...I dunno, toilet paper. He's selling the only major sports entertainment in town, to people who have a fanatical belief in the team which often times loses touch with reality. Moreover, a lot of his revenue sources are essentially locked in. The T.V. contract, for example, isn't up for renegotiation until like...2025 or 2026 or something like that. The networks are taking a bath, the ticket resellers are taking a bath, but Molson's accountants probably didn't notice a thing.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
I have to say that ending with Price was .... Priceless ahhahahahah
way to go 10.5M goalie

Yup!!...that's our 10 million dollar man proving his worth, and showing all the other teams how smart MB is,

"Nobody has a goalie like Carey Price" - MB

yeah, that's for sure! :rolleyes:

Reactions: mariolemieux66

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I mean, theoretically, sure, but Molson isn't selling an easily replaced product like...I dunno, toilet paper. He's selling the only major sports entertainment in town, to people who have a fanatical belief in the team which often times loses touch with reality. Moreover, a lot of his revenue sources are essentially locked in. The T.V. contract, for example, isn't up for renegotiation until like...2025 or 2026 or something like that. The networks are taking a bath, the ticket resellers are taking a bath, but Molson's accountants probably didn't notice a thing.

The overall value can diminish while the team is operating in the black. One reason investors become involved in pro sports is because, as you pointed out, there is substantial guaranteed income.

Revenue from all sources is not guaranteed and drops in ticket sales merchandise, food and alcohol, advertising, and any number of associated incomes are dependent on the product, its placement among competitors, and its reputation.

The greatest additional revenues come from winning games, winning divisions, and winning conferences, extended playoff revenues, and becoming Stanley Cup champion. The more the winning, the greater the interest, the better the reputation, and the more energy and impetus flow into all revenue channels.

The Canadiens' PR is moving quickly in the wrong direction. The team is a target in the local, national and international press due to mismanagement at all levels. No one talks about 24 Cups, you seldom hear the words Montreal and Classy together these days, and there are no qualities that can be singled out that counter the abject failure that the Habs have allowed themselves to become.

The world knows the Montreal Canadiens have incredibly put their future into the hands of a boor, an incompetent, a poseur, a nonentity - and sit idly by as the great CH becomes more tarnished by the day.

Molson may be blind to it, but I assure you his partners are not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

One of the advantages of being a team is that the blame can be displaced onto the management or players, the brand itself endures. I think the habs brand will do just fine with a nice draft pick and some hope for the future. Hopefully with changes in management too.

One of the worst things about the subban and sergachev trades is that they offer little to look forward to.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
The overall value can diminish while the team is operating in the black. One reason investors become involved in pro sports is because, as you pointed out, therethere is substantial guaranteed income.

Revenue from all sources is not guaranteed and drops in ticket sales merchandise, food and alcohol, advertising, and any number of associated incomes are dependent on the product, its placement among competitors, and its reputation.

The greatest additional revenues come from winning games, winning divisions, and winning conferences, extended playoff revenues, and becoming Stanley Cup champion. The more the winning, the greater the interest, the better the reputation, and the more energy and impetus flow
into all revenue channels.

That you might get more revenue if you go on and win the cup doesn't really imply that Molson or the Canadiens are taking a sizeable hit now. What they're losing is playoff revenue, which is a nice morsel that cuts into player expenses, but doesn't really contribute to the overall value of the franchise. That's all in stadium, and market (a sizeable amount of which is locked up, or growing).

The Canadiens' PR is moving quickly in the wrong direction. The team is a target in the local, national and international press due to mismanagement at all levels. No one talks about 24 Cups, you seldom hear the words Montreal and Classy together these days, and there are no qualities that can be singled out that counter the abject failure that the Habs have allowed themselves to become.

The world knows the Montreal Canadiens have incredibly put their future into the hands of a boor, an incompetent, a poseur, a nonentity - and sit idly by as the great CH becomes more tarnished by the day.

Molson may be blind to it, but I assure you his partners are not.

And think about how long it took us to get to this point. 3 years of total, unbearable, embarrassing irrelevance, and now the rumblings start. The fans have yet to storm the bastille, they haven't even taken the tennis court oath yet. All of this ill will (if you really want to call it that) can be reversed with the appearance of hope. Molson doesn't have to do anything differently. He just has to tell the useful idiots that they learned some hard lessons along the way, but now they're really on track to bring glory back to the city of Montreal. And answer honestly, do you not see people (you know the type) falling for that? People with nothing else to watch? People who think that we're only 5 games away from being 5 games out of the playoffs?

If Molson cared at all about the product on the ice, he would've fired Bergevin after the deadline. He's a cynical, price gouging trust fund baby, but I don't think his calculus is wrong.

Reactions: admiralcadillac

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
That you might get more revenue if you go on and win the cup doesn't really imply that Molson or the Canadiens are taking a sizeable hit now. What they're losing is playoff revenue, which is a nice morsel that cuts into player expenses, but doesn't really contribute to the overall value of the franchise. That's all in stadium, and market (a sizeable amount of which is locked up, or growing).

And think about how long it took us to get to this point. 3 years of total, unbearable, embarrassing irrelevance, and now the rumblings start. The fans have yet to storm the bastille, they haven't even taken the tennis court oath yet. All of this ill will (if you really want to call it that) can be reversed with the appearance of hope. Molson doesn't have to do anything differently. He just has to tell the useful idiots that they learned some hard lessons along the way, but now they're really on track to bring glory back to the city of Montreal. And answer honestly, do you not see people (you know the type) falling for that? People with nothing else to watch? People who think that we're only 5 games away from being 5 games out of the playoffs?

If Molson cared at all about the product on the ice, he would've fired Bergevin after the deadline. He's a cynical, price gouging trust fund baby, but I don't think his calculus is wrong.

100% agree

Only 8 wins against playoffs teams this season. :laugh:

Thank god or we'd be sitting in a pretty bad draft position

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

The 24 Cups is indeed an asset and will prevent the franchise from disappearing regardless of circumstances. The fact that some fans can be swayed by positive sound bytes from Molson isn't meaningful.

I can't stress enough that Molson isn't operating in a vacuum. He has obligations to his partners not just to generate income but to shepherd the team and maintain its health, financially and otherwise.

I see the Habs today much like Ford while they produced the Edsel. Bad decisions led to the production of an ugly, overpriced, poorly imagined line of vehicles. This is today's Habs, with Bergevin's vision being the Edsel.

There was interest in the beginning, which quickly waned due to the obvious design and marketing flaws that made it untenable as a production vehicle. Ford still stuck with the Edsel for 3 full years losing an era adjusted $2.3 billion dollars. It naturally damaged the companies reputation going forward until they retooled and produced more attractive, better designed and overall superior vehicles that eventually replaced it. It still took Ford 3 years to come to terms with the inherent failures and cut their losses.

Bergevin's vision is the hockey Edsel. It's a clear failure and ugly as hell to look at. There's no excuse for prolonging a demonstrable boondoggle, especially when the skill and resources are available to replace it with something more attractive, versatile and sturdy.

It's simply bad business.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
The 24 Cups is indeed an asset and will prevent the franchise from disappearing regardless of circumstances. The fact that some fans can be swayed by positive sound bytes from Molson isn't meaningful.

I can't stress enough that Molson isn't operating in a vacuum. He has obligations to his partners not just to generate income but to shepherd the team and maintain its health, financially and otherwise.

I see the Habs today much like Ford while they produced the Edsel. Bad decisions led to the production of an ugly, overpriced, poorly imagined line of vehicles. This is today's Habs, with Bergevin's vision being the Edsel.

There was interest in the beginning, which quickly waned due to the obvious design and marketing flaws that made it untenable as a production vehicle. Ford still stuck with the Edsel for 3 full years losing an era adjusted $2.3 billion dollars. It naturally damaged the companies reputation going forward until they retooled and produced more attractive, better designed and overall superior vehicles that eventually replaced it. It still took Ford 3 years to come to terms with the inherent failures and cut their losses.

Bergevin's vision is the hockey Edsel. It's a clear failure and ugly as hell to look at. There's no excuse for prolonging a demonstrable boondoggle, especially when the skill and resources are available to replace it with something more attractive, versatile and sturdy.

It's simply bad business.

About the Edsel comparison, one of the biggest problems with it was that it had competitors, including Ford's own mid-price range, Mercury. Where's the competition in Montreal? In a city where people pay $140 a pop to sit on a waiting list for seasons tickets (the most absurd gouging I've ever seen), I think waning interest will, at most, reduce that waiting list in size. Furthermore, to the extent that Molson has even noticed a decline in interest in his uncontested product, he knows full well that it can be won back in a second. What do you think will happen to interest if we win the draft lottery? Still bad business? Any remaining critics will be made to shut up if he tars and feathers a few assistant coaches/gms.

What I'm saying is that, as far as markets go, Montreal's sports market is relatively inelastic with respect to quality.

I didn't really think this way until I started going over to reddit. Holy shit, we are in a bubble here, man. Poor Whiskey is getting downvoted like an American Idol blooper. If we even squeak into the playoffs next season, all will be forgotten. There is no amount of embarrassment that would serve as an inflection point.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
About the Edsel comparison, one of the biggest problems with it was that it had competitors, including Ford's own mid-price range, Mercury. Where's the competition in Montreal? In a city where people pay $140 a pop to sit on a waiting list for seasons tickets (the most absurd gouging I've ever seen), I think waning interest will, at most, reduce that waiting list in size. Furthermore, to the extent that Molson has even noticed a decline in interest in his uncontested product, he knows full well that it can be won back in a second. What do you think will happen to interest if we win the draft lottery? Still bad business? Any remaining critics will be made to shut up if he tars and feathers a few assistant coaches/gms.

What I'm saying is that, as far as markets go, Montreal's sports market is relatively inelastic with respect to quality.

I didn't really think this way until I started going over to reddit. Holy ****, we are in a bubble here, man. Poor Whiskey is getting downvoted like an American Idol blooper. If we even squeak into the playoffs next season, all will be forgotten. There is no amount of embarrassment that would serve as an inflection point.

The problem with taking support for granted is that when it inevitably wavers and dimishes, it's that much more difficult to regain. There are by the day more people becoming disinterested, frustrated, angry and cynical. The reason is clear. Current management is abjectly incompetent and utterly unapologetic about it.

There are recent instances where NHL teams have issued mea culpas and made promises to their fanbases, notably Chicago last year and New York this season. These are proactive responses to failures not nearly as profound as what we're seeing today in Montreal.

This is how smart businesses are run. You evaluate and reevaluate constantly and adjust to improve your product as well as to prevent a calamity. When metaphorical bankruptcy is on the horizon, you've procrastinated far too long. The Habs know what the problems are and are choosing to ignore them. It is very bad business.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
The problem with taking support for granted is that when it inevitably wavers and dimishes, it's that much more difficult to regain. There are by the day more people becoming disinterested, frustrated, angry and cynical. The reason is clear. Current management is abjectly incompetent and utterly unapologetic about it.

There are recent instances where NHL teams have issued mea culpas and made promises to their fanbases, notably Chicago last year and New York this season. These are proactive responses to failures not nearly as profound as what we're seeing today in Montreal.

This is how smart businesses are run. You evaluate and reevaluate constantly and adjust to improve your product as well as to prevent a calamity. When metaphorical bankruptcy is on the horizon, you've procrastinated far too long. The Habs know what the problems are and are choosing to ignore them. It is very bad business.

IMO, what New York is doing is exactly what we should've done, but that's just because I care about winning a cup sometime in the not too distant future. Their two firsts last year are already playing in the NHL, they have 3 firsts this year, and probably another lottery pick next year. They'll be back in the picture sooner rather than later.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I am hoping Molson's presser is to announce the firing of everyone and the hiring of a president. The binman's is a thank you to the Habs for giving him a chance, and that now he can move into his real calling, sorting shoes at the bowling alley.

Don't forget lost items at the bowling alley as well. Very attractive job if The Great Lebowski (not the poster) is to be believed.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
IMO, what New York is doing is exactly what we should've done, but that's just because I care about winning a cup sometime in the not too distant future. Their two firsts last year are already playing in the NHL, they have 3 firsts this year, and probably another lottery pick next year. They'll be back in the picture sooner rather than later.

The rangers do have a distinct advantage though. Players flock to Manhattan. Whether it's pre cap or post cap era, whether they are winning or losing, they can pluck guys off the market better than anyone else.

So while the rangers accumulate picks and prospects, they can accelerate their process by grabbing more polished items off the market. Now, the one wrench in this plan is that the superstar players rarely make it to market anymore, but even grabbing a good player can go a long way.

It's just up to them to pick the right type of player without falling into a terrible contract, although they have shown a propensity to get out of bad contracts too.

I bet it never feels dull being a ranger fan, especially during silly season.

Reactions: groovejuice

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
The rangers do have a distinct advantage though. Players flock to Manhattan. Whether it's pre cap or post cap era, whether they are winning or losing, they can pluck guys off the market better than anyone else.

So while the rangers accumulate picks and prospects, they can accelerate their process by grabbing more polished items off the market. Now, the one wrench in this plan is that the superstar players rarely make it to market anymore, but even grabbing a good player can go a long way.

It's just up to them to pick the right type of player without falling into a terrible contract, although they have shown a propensity to get out of bad contracts too.

I bet it never feels dull being a ranger fan, especially during silly season.

Well, there's that, and it helps to not say shit like ''if you want loyalty, buy a dog.'' I've never heard slats say something that daft in the middle of ongoing negotiations. Like you say this is not the way to build a team, but an offensive talent like that helps to extend your ''top end.''

Personally, I find New York to be the most overrated city on the planet, but that's just an aside. I understand that it does have the pull you're describing.

Reactions: groovejuice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad