Post-Game Talk: Habs beat Wings in shootout !

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
We did not look good. The D did not look good except Guhle having a bright moment in OT and Kocacevic with a few good poke checks. Our asses were saved by Allen. Drouin looked lost, and couldn’t keep the puck. And in the OT, we could not get the puck out of our end. When there was forechecking we looked like panicked children. The good part was the SO where Caufield and Suzuki looked like total pros.

The good part for me was I got to watch an entertaining hockey game, Allen played great, lots of chances on both ends, refs favored DET and our PK won, and a wicked shootout to finish it.

I did not feel like I wasted my time watching this game tonight, which happened too often last year under DD. I'm also not a tanker though, I cant root against my team.

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
Well he’s saying what anyone could see in this game.
This isn't the first time. He was saying the same thing before the game. He kept saying things like "sure, they're scoring more goals, but they can't keep playing like that. They have to tighten up defense."

Canad13ns

Nov 6, 2018
The good part for me was I got to watch an entertaining hockey game, Allen played great, lots of chances on both ends, refs favored DET and our PK won, and a wicked shootout to finish it.

I did not feel like I wasted my time watching this game tonight, which happened too often last year under DD. I'm also not a tanker though, I cant root against my team.
I get what you’re saying, it was nerve-wracking and we came out with a win. But I prefer the games where it looks like we know what we’re doing. That OT. 🤮The only time we had puck possession we were behind our own net.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Stripes did everything they could to give that game to the Wings. We did get outplayed overall but the penalty minutes were 27 to 4. That's insane.

Kudos to Jake Allen and the penalty killers tonight.

Edit: Oh yeah, and the penalty shot call AFTER the guy got a clean breakaway shot. Larkin went 0/3 on breakaways tonight. Scrub.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
This isn't the first time. He was saying the same thing before the game. He kept saying things like "sure, they're scoring more goals, but they can't keep playing like that. They have to tighten up defense."

Another Quebec coach still living decades ago. This province really needs to go scorched earth when it comes to its approach on hockey. It's becoming embarassing at this point. In any case, he's been envious about MSL since the hiring. He's having a hard time dealing with the fact a guy with no experience is just plain better than he was and will likely be able to coach a team for longer than a year without losing the room.

Apr 28, 2010
Slick Nick & Goal Caufield - what beauts. They're freaking scary in shootouts.

Drouin's move absolutely worked. Husso was beat out of his ass. Just no hands anymore from Drou. He couldn't get it up high enough.

PK was monstrous tonight. Eddie, Savard & Kovacevic were just workaholics out there. Blocked a ton of shots. Helped that Kubalik shot way wide 100% of the time. :laugh:

Solid game by Montreal. This is a hard working group.

Hoping Slafkovsky isn't suspended, but if he is, it gives him time to work on his game again. Really liked him with Money that needs to be full-time.

Fun game to watch even if refs sucked balls.
I missed the game. Was Eddy actually good tonight? He looked bad vs Vegas and a minus 2 tonight.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Jake Allen won't - and shouldn't be - the guy when the Canadiens try to do some real damage but he'll have been a part of that potential success.
Why? It's the exact opposite. The more he plays like this the worse Habs first round pick will be. This is not helping potential habs success at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: HabsCowboysOwn

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I missed the game. Was Eddy actually good tonight? He looked bad vs Vegas and a minus 2 tonight.

I only saw the 3rd period, so I can only comment on the 2nd wings goal. I thought WiFi got caught in no man's land in the neutral zone which allowed the wings entry into the zone, and things never really got set for them defensively after that.

It should have been a nothing play, but WiFi was just caught snoozing a bit.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

He played a better game than against Vegas. Montreal had 34 minutes in penalties tonight, although that includes a 10 minute misconduct to Savard, so 24 minutes of actual pk time. That's a period+ just in killing penalties.

Eddie, Kovacevic, Savard & Guhle were effective down low, although we were actually pretty weak on our clearing attempts - forwards included.

It was an overall gutsy effort by the team, and Allen deserved the win. He was outstanding after being below average versus Vegas.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I think I had a revelation in the shower. I was thinking how Detroit doesn't look that good despite them supposedly being ready to leave their rebuilt and same for the Sens. Then I realized that they were both diving clubs.

They are in the wrong sport!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad