Confirmed with Link: Guy Boucher 2: The Guy-quel

TrueGrit

Jul 3, 2006
He was let go with the entire staff so unclear.

He had become more than a goalie coach, and had taken a role of coaching with Cameron's group teaching philosophy. Team wanted all fresh voices.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Supposedly Arturs Irbe would like to return as a goalie coach for the NHL.
I wouldn't mind him either. He was in Washington just as Holtby and Varlamov and all them were breaking out in initially as I recall, so seems to be good at getting goalies NHL ready. Maybe not finishing them (but really we just need to figure out when we can steal Mitch Korn from Washington).

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Supposedly Arturs Irbe would like to return as a goalie coach for the NHL.
I wouldn't mind him either. He was in Washington just as Holtby and Varlamov and all them were breaking out in initially as I recall, so seems to be good at getting goalies NHL ready. Maybe not finishing them (but really we just need to figure out when we can steal Mitch Korn from Washington).

As long as Irbe brings those pads with him. On a different not, what happened to Francois Aillaire? Is he still in the league?

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Lalime & Tugnut are still around aren't they? But it will be hard to replace Wamsley, he was very well respected around the league, not sure why he was fired. Where is Martin Brodeur these days or my favourite Tom Barasso ... best quotes in the business.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Brodeur is in the front office in St. Louis.
I think Barrasso appears to be doing a head coaching gig in Italy, after spending some time being a goalie coach in the KHL.
NHL coaching career appears to be solely with Carolina following their Cup win...

Lalime is an analyst on TVA?
Tugnut appears to be heavily involved in the Kemptville 73s

Last edited:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I've heard that Boucher wants an assistant who can be an eye in the sky. I wonder if this means 2 assistants will be hired. One more on the bench and one up top.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Anyone read keslers comments about wanting the next coach to be a better strategist? To make more changes on the fly and not just between periods? To hold everyone accountable and not just some guys?

Very telling comments about Boudreau if you ask me.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Didn't Selanne say similar things?

Either way, I'm happy with the coaching staff we chose. It is better than we've had in some time

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Anyone read keslers comments about wanting the next coach to be a better strategist? To make more changes on the fly and not just between periods? To hold everyone accountable and not just some guys?

Very telling comments about Boudreau if you ask me.

Could say the exact same things about Cameron

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Coach KK back to Bingo.

Great news to have him back in the organization.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/senators-sign-forward-tom-pyatt-one-year-two-way-contract/

An interview

Cory Conacher calling boucher the "least defensive coach hes ever played for" Saying Boucher does not believe in dumping the puck in and giving up possession

http://www.ottawasun.com/2016/05/13/guy-boucher-brings-creative-mindset-to-senators

Good. In this day and age, with so many highly skilled guys out there, there is no reason for a good team to have the 'dump and chase' as part of it's regular gameplay. Pass the puck, dangle for a few seconds, or do a curl back for the few seconds while guys change...seems to be much more productive than dumping the puck in the corner and hoping you get it back (especially for a team with average speed).

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Good. In this day and age, with so many highly skilled guys out there, there is no reason for a good team to have the 'dump and chase' as part of it's regular gameplay. Pass the puck, dangle for a few seconds, or do a curl back for the few seconds while guys change...seems to be much more productive than dumping the puck in the corner and hoping you get it back (especially for a team with average speed).

Key term in here was good team.

This style of play is very much like possession style in soccer. There's a reason why most teams don't do it. Because it's extremely deficit and requires talent in most positions. Do we have the talent to play keep away from most teams in the NHL? I don't think so.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016

This style of play is very much like possession style in soccer. There's a reason why most teams don't do it. Because it's extremely deficit and requires talent in most positions. Do we have the talent to play keep away from most teams in the NHL? I don't think so.

Maclean had the same philosophy which gradually fell apart after 2013 when Gonchar left and the younger guys (Cowen, Boro, Wiercioch) weren't what we thought they were. Hopefully the addition of Phaneuf, the continued emergence of Ceci and a bounceback year by Methot changes things and makes that philosophy viable. I still have my doubts as well though.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I agree for the most part. Maintaining puck possession is important for minimizing the other team's O-zone time and thus shots against, plus maximizing our team's O-zone time and shots for. However, I can see a use for it in situations where the other team is using a 5 man defensive line at or near their blue line. Sending two fast forwards after the puck is shot deep into the O-zone can break that line.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Sure, it's definitely a step up in difficulty compared to the dump and chase.

But, we have guys like Stone, Turris, Karlsson, Ceci, Hoffman, Mac, Ryan....who all have some high hockey IQ and good mitts.

I'm definitely not suggesting we have the Neil line or Boro out there trying to dangle. Those guys are definitely glass & out guys. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad