Confirmed with Link: Guy Boucher 2: The Guy-quel

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Well, if Ottawa draft McLeod this yr where he is expected to be there at 12, we would have McLeod, Zibanejad, Paul, Turris & maybe Lazar or Smith.
And White ,i see we have some decent ones .We just need that one more guy like Turris in the top 6 ,just to give us a bit more possession ,and allow our bigger slower wingers like Stone and Ryan to set up for plays

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
And White ,i see we have some decent ones .We just need that one more guy like Turris in the top 6 ,just to give us a bit more possession ,and allow our bigger slower wingers like Stone and Ryan to set up for plays

and pageau

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
How are they going to keep all those guys with

An expansion draft coming
A salary cap

Fair enough but that's a problem you deal with when you get there, not really sure it's an indictement of the team's future.

I mean look at Chicago, they dismantled the team a bunch of times and they've stayed at the top of the League.

The expansion draft is definitely going to be a problem for teams like Florida and maybe even ourselves however, that will be interesting to see.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Fair enough but that's a problem you deal with when you get there, not really sure it's an indictement of the team's future.

I mean look at Chicago, they dismantled the team a bunch of times and they've stayed at the top of the League.

The expansion draft is definitely going to be a problem for teams like Florida and maybe even ourselves however, that will be interesting to see.

Compared to Chicago - Florida has all their young future stars on the roster at once and over a ~3 year period they're all going to be up for new contracts.

It's not a horrible problem to have but I just don't see how they'll stay as a fixture in the East.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Compared to Chicago - Florida has all their young future stars on the roster at once and over a ~3 year period they're all going to be up for new contracts.

It's not a horrible problem to have but I just don't see how they'll stay as a fixture in the East.

Well if the Cats are ****ed... Then Ottawa is not in any better shape with that logic.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Well if the Cats are ****ed... Then Ottawa is not in any better shape with that logic.

They're going to lose Jagr, Campbell and Mitchell to retirement within the next 3 years. Make no mistake those three are big pieces for Florida.

While they lose those guys - they will also need to negotiate new contracts with their top 4 young defensemen:
Kulikov, Ekblad, Gudbranson and Petrovic.

They will need to negotiate new contracts with Smith and Huberdeau that same off season.

And this offseason they need to sign Trocheck.

So 7 young players are likely to get substantial raises while Florida also loses 3 key pieces. And they did not look like a contender this year. Their position is much more precarious than it looks at first glance.

Last edited:

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
They're going to lose Jagr, Campbell and Mitchell to retirement within the next 3 years. Make no mistake those three are big pieces for Florida.

While they lose those guys - they will also need to negotiate new contracts with their top 4 young defensemen:
Kulikov, Ekblad, Gudbranson and Petrovic.

They will need to negotiate new contracts with Smith and Huberdeau that same off season.

And this offseason they need to sign Trocheck.

So 7 young players are likely to get substantial raises while Florida also loses 3 key pieces. And they did not look like a contender this year. Their position is much more precarious than it looks at first glance.

Couldn't all that money they will lose in vets be spent on the core young pieces in raises?

I don't think the Cats need to be worried about not having enough money to afford the core

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Couldn't all that money they will lose in vets be spent on the core young pieces in raises?

I don't think the Cats need to be worried about not having enough money to afford the core

The issue is those vets play key roles on the team. Campbell and Mitchell (when healthy) play significant minutes. Jagr plays a key winger role. It's not like they're dead weight.

Who is going to replace them for comparatively little while the young guys get raises? Think about Ekblad. His cap hit is like 900k, right? What do you think he'll ask for and get next offseason? More than Morgan Rielly IMO. That eats up all of Jagr's cap hit + a little more.

I understand they'll progress but most of these guys are in their early mid-20s and there's not that much further they can improve (IMO).

Sentron5000

Mar 24, 2010
The issue is those vets play key roles on the team. Campbell and Mitchell (when healthy) play significant minutes. Jagr plays a key winger role. It's not like they're dead weight.

Who is going to replace them for comparatively little while the young guys get raises? Think about Ekblad. His cap hit is like 900k, right? What do you think he'll ask for and get next offseason? More than Morgan Rielly IMO. That eats up all of Jagr's cap hit + a little more.

I understand they'll progress but most of these guys are in their early mid-20s and there's not that much further they can improve (IMO).

Mitchell is already done. He has to retire due to concusssions.

Florida has a lot of cap space and a very favourable tax environment.

They'll have Matheson, Crouse coming up as well.

If guys like Ekblad and Barkov can't improve at the age of 20, then no one can. That's a 1D and 1C right there. And they are both 20.

Provided they don't mess up with their change in management, they should be a factor moving forward.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Great point.

Florida is basically counting on all the kids progressing at a high rate to remain successful.....and we all know how risky that can be. Have one or two of the kids falter, and the team is sunk.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016

What did the Cats give up to get vets like Jagr, Campbell, Luongo, Jokinen, Mitchell in the first place?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Mitchell is already done. He has to retire due to concusssions.

Florida has a lot of cap space and a very favourable tax environment.

They'll have Matheson, Crouse coming up as well.

If guys like Ekblad and Barkov can't improve at the age of 20, then no one can. That's a 1D and 1C right there. And they are both 20.

Provided they don't mess up with their change in management, they should be a factor moving forward.

I'd say that guys like Barkov and Ekblad will be the one's who improve the least as they've already come so far. Elite players get close to their peak quickest, and Barkov and Ekblad are certainly elite players (or close to it).

Florida certainly has a great core going forward, but they will definitely miss Campbell and Jagr quite a bit when those guys retire. Luongo is another huge piece that may start to regress, or just hang them up in the near future, and will be extremely hard to replace.

The reason (imo) that they are good now is because they have great players in depth positions, which will be much harder to do when guys playing huge roles retire.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
Quote from Hoffman below about Boucher. I wonder if Boucher is finally the coach that can get Bobby Ryan into decent shape.

He’s tough. He doesn’t take any s - -t,†he said. “You’ve got to be working hard every practice, every game, otherwise you’re going to hear it. It makes you responsible, and that’s what makes you better and that’s what makes the team better.

“He’s excellent at figuring out players, whether to push them or just leave them alone. He’s very good at controlling his team. I think part of that comes from the psychology background and all that stuff he has his degrees in, which is extremely important in ports.â€

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Quote from Hoffman below about Boucher. I wonder if Boucher is finally the coach that can get Bobby Ryan into decent shape.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Bring a box of puppies to the rink and tell Bobby he can play with them after the game if he tries hard. Every player is different.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Bring a box of puppies to the rink and tell Bobby he can play with them after the game if he tries hard. Every player is different.

and tell zibby he can play with his turntables after he scores

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Loving the new avi, but it's no inflatable beard of bees

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Fixed. I think inflatable bee beards should be part of our team's playoff mantra.

You win at life. /thread

and I agree, inflatable beard of bee's should be out new playoff mantra

edit: I'm on board, officially bee bearded Arr2-D2

Last edited:

Babych Moustache

Don'tBashThe'Stache
Jul 4, 2008
Ottawa
You win at life. /thread

and I agree, inflatable beard of bee's should be out new playoff mantra

edit: I'm on board, officially bee bearded Arr2-D2

Trying so hard not to hijack this thread towards Lounge-ish topics, but this is some serious Beard Leadershipâ„¢

I hope that Guy gets on board too... although I love his menacing scar which strikes just as much (if not more) fear into opponents than inflatable beards I imagine...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Trying so hard not to hijack this thread towards Lounge-ish topics, but this is some serious Beard Leadershipâ„¢

I hope that Guy gets on board too... although I love his menacing scar which strikes just as much (if not more) fear into opponents than inflatable beards I imagine...

What's scarier? A bad-ass scar, or a swarm of killer bees hovering around your face?

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa

the most amazing part is the TM :handclap:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Got to say, it feels good to not have to go into next season and be forced to watch Cowen or Wiercioch try to play defense.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Got to say, it feels good to not have to go into next season and be forced to watch Cowen or Wiercioch try to play defense.
:handclap:So much this!!.Them being off the roster alone should ,give us enough wins to make the playoffs.They just killed any hope of us trying to compete,adding to the misery was by them sucking so hard meant we had to see far too much of Boro:cry:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad