Confirmed with Link: Gustav Nyquist for a 2023 5th

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
He could easily get a 5x5M offer. He might love it here, but if it’s gonna cost him 10M? He hasn’t made that much money. His next contract is likely the best one he is going to get, going forward.
We'll find out I guess. I'm just saying, if he can be had for a bargain price, you have to consider it.

Reactions: MK9

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
He could easily get a 5x5M offer. He might love it here, but if it’s gonna cost him 10M? He hasn’t made that much money. His next contract is likely the best one he is going to get, going forward.
If he gets 5x5 wouldn't that be worse than the contract he has now? Considering it was a 5x6?

Reactions: TaLoN

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Another 2-point game for Nyqvist, he was +2 again and creates time and space for his linemates. Strong on the puck, smart plays and knows where to be on the ice.
5 games as a Wild, 8 points

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
Another 2-point game for Nyqvist, he was +2 again and creates time and space for his linemates. Strong on the puck, smart plays and knows where to be on the ice.
5 games as a Wild, 8 points
He should replace Zucc to give Kap some space. 36 has been very weak in all areas. Kap super frustrated with zero help.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
He should replace Zucc to give Kap some space. 36 has been very weak in all areas. Kap super frustrated with zero help.
I´m with you, he should play more minutes in a offensive role. At the same time his third line has been so effective and is the best Wild line over these first couple of games. Who will replace his shutdown role while at the same time producing at a first line rate?

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
Top two lines without their center is really hopeless. Hartman and Ek can’t get back soon enough. How hobbled will they be when and if they return?

I´m with you, he should play more minutes in a offensive role. At the same time his third line has been so effective and is the best Wild line over these first couple of games. Who will replace his shutdown role while at the same time producing at a first line rate?
Indeed. Where do you put Zuc then? He can’t check anything.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Top two lines without their center is really hopeless. Hartman and Ek can’t get back soon enough. How hobbled will they be when and if they return?

Indeed. Where do you put Zuc then? He can’t check anything.
Pressbox

Reactions: fgobuzz

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
If Ek can't go, I would put Nyquist on the wing with Boldy and Johansson. Foligno should be on the 3rd line.
Boldy as center? Then when Ek comes back we simply slide Boldy up to top line center and boom, we finally have our all-Swede line, just what we always wanted. Provided Hartman is still out, of course

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Boldy as center? Then when Ek comes back we simply slide Boldy up to top line center and boom, we finally have our all-Swede line, just what we always wanted. Provided Hartman is still out, of course

Not sure about that. Maybe. I still think Boldy is still more effective on the wing, for now. Maybe he can grow into the center position as his skating improves.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Nyqvist has been so good for the Wild. He is riding a 6 game point streak with 9 points and is +7. Never gone a game without a point for the Wild. 3 of those games was multi point games.
He is so smart, strong on the puck, plays in a shutdown line while producing at a first line rate. Shows great leadership on the ice and carries his whole line, makes his team mates better everytime he hits the ice. Coming back from injury he looked like a star his very first shift and every time after. Can´t even remember if he´s been on the ice for a goal against.
A great playmaker and high hockey IQ.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Already set a little franchise record, he became the first player in Wild history to pick up a point in each of his first three playoff games with the team.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Agreed. If we find away to sign him, Gus, and Marjo I'd be thrilled
I believe the easiest, most logical, would be to trade Zucc. It would likely free up enough space and we’d only have 1 spot to fill. Whereas trading Foligno and Fluery has more spots to fill while getting about the same salary relief

Last edited:
Reactions: Soldier13Fox

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
I believe the easiest, most logical, would be to trade Zucc. It would likely free up enough space and we’d only have 1 spot to fill. Whereas trading Foligno and Fluery has more spots to fill while getting about the same salary relief
I'm hoping that just resolves itself with him retiring during the off season.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm hoping that just resolves itself with him retiring during the off season.
I have little hope of that. Keep having flashbacks to Backstrom, and how he kept hanging on, and on, and on.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You're likely correct. I guess I'm just hoping that MAF has a bit more self awareness than Backstrom did.
Oh, i think Backstrom was very aware of what he was doing....taking the Wild for every cent he could, even though he wasn't playing.

I also think that Fleury feels he took a pay cut to stay here, rightly or wrongly, and that he deserves to be paid next year.

We could also buy him out, couldn't we? That we save 2.3M next year, but we'd have to find a backup and pay him out of that, and we would still have a 1+M cap hit the year after, also.

I think we might be better off trying to move Zucc, and keep Nyquist and MoJo...there is a lot more $$ to be saved there, I think, and it's possible there might not be much of a downgrade between an aging Zucc, and a healthy Nyquist, but, it's hard to say. Zucc has been really good, for the most part, first year excepted.

Last edited:

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Oh, i think Backstrom was very aware of what he was doing....taking the Wild for every cent he could, even though he wasn't playing.

I also think that Fleury feels he took a pay cut to stay here, rightly or wrongly, and that he deserves to be paid next year.

We could also buy him out, couldn't we? That we save 2.3M next year, but we'd have to find a backup and pay him out of that, and we would still have a 1+M cap hit the year after, also.

I think we might be better off trying to move Zucc, and keep Nyquist and MoJo...there is a lot more $$ to be saved there, I think, and it's possible there might not be much of a downgrade between an aging Zucc, and a healthy Nyquist, but, it's hard to say. Zucc has been really good, for the most part, first year excepted.
Cripes. Ask me how or why and I couldn't tell you, but I totally forgot about the Backstrom debacle at the end of his career here.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad