Guess who is nominated for the Norris?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't think Doughty is better overall than Burns, though Burns was absolutely better the last playoff series. Doughty was one of only like 2 or 3 NHL caliber defensemen that the Kings has usage of, to be fair to him. He played like a thousand minutes per game.

Burns definitely should get it this year. Maybe I'm wrong and putting too much into the ''He played on a non playoff team, so he won't get it'' argument about Karlsson, but I don't think he'll get it.

It's down to Doughty and Burns this year, and I said back in December that I think Burns has a REALLY good case for it this year. Burns is my personal pick. Let's be honest though, this award is usually about which defenseman had the most impressive offense. That's why Scott Stevens never won one of these things. Burns would definitely blow Doughty away in that regard for this season, despite Burns having 51 points in 82 games. Burns scored frickin 27 goals as a defenseman.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
The Sharks beat a team in 5 games that have a Vezina, Norris, and Selke nominee. Not bad.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Karlsson deserves the Norris over Burns AINEC. No need for homerism. Burns keeps this level of defensive play up for 82 games next year then we can talk. Until then, Karlsson had a better year than Burns.

Now, who cares about the Norris if he wins the Conn Smythe. He is certainly making a good case so far.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
If Burns could have gotten to 30 goals it would have helped his chances because 30 goals from a Dman in this day and age is pretty impressive. not that 27 is not.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Burns has really turned his play around over the past 4 months or so

I'm still not a fan of his defensive game and I still wouldn't consider him the best D in the league, but he's picked up his possession game to a very high degree and is controlling the game on the offensive end in a way that is above even his standard, gotta give him props

Though, I hope he doesn't win, just to keep his cap hit down on his next contract

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Kings had selke Norris and vezina finalists. How the hell did we beat them in 5??

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Burns 27 goals is nice but erik Karlsson has as many points as joe Thornton. And he doesnt have joe Thornton as a teammate.

He also didn't make the playoffs, he wasn't enough better than Burns to warrant a totally unprecedented win. No one has EVER won the Norris without making the playoffs, and Karlsson only had 5 more points than Burns, and 13 less goals.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
He also didn't make the playoffs, he wasn't enough better than Burns to warrant a totally unprecedented win. No one has EVER won the Norris without making the playoffs, and Karlsson only had 5 more points than Burns, and 13 less goals.

I did a pretty big break down of the three in the first debate thread but burns came out on top. Especially 5v5.

He's gets some benefit playing with the players he does but they didn't score his goals.

Defensively he had a positive diff at ES and a solid 53% CF

I just don't think you can "prove" doughty was enough ahead defensively to make up for his 5v5 scoring.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
Karlsson deserves the Norris over Burns AINEC. No need for homerism. Burns keeps this level of defensive play up for 82 games next year then we can talk. Until then, Karlsson had a better year than Burns.

Now, who cares about the Norris if he wins the Conn Smythe. He is certainly making a good case so far.

Not saying Burns deserves it over Karlsson, but certainly over Doughty who they're going to give it to.

SpaceCoastShark

Look what the cat dragged in
Apr 8, 2009
Space Coast, FL
So, if you knew what their stats would have been prior to this season, and you're team could have one of them as a one-year rental, at the same cap hit, which would you take?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
So, if you knew what their stats would have been prior to this season, and you're team could have one of them as a one-year rental, at the same cap hit, which would you take?

Burns. Slightly more primary points including goals which is more valuable. Slightly better points per 60. More of an impact on winning games due to the other things he does over Karlsson. Longer reach, more physicality, significantly more of a shooting threat, and more effective at killing penalties. Karlsson probably wins the Norris over Burns because he's got better raw numbers and they'll equate the two at everything else but you dig deep into their numbers and Burns does more. Doughty probably wins the Norris over Burns because of defensive hype and advanced numbers even though a lot of those numbers are impacted by the system Doughty plays in and the forwards taking a heavy burden of defensive play there to help.

I don't expect Burns to win or even get 2nd because he just doesn't have that kind of media support but I won't give a damn if he wins the Conn Smythe and if he keeps producing and the team wins, he's got a good shot at it. He is the highest PPG player in the playoffs.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Kings had selke Norris and vezina finalists. How the hell did we beat them in 5??

Well, IMO it was being generous to give Quick and Kopitar the nods this year.

Burns has really turned his play around over the past 4 months or so

I'm still not a fan of his defensive game and I still wouldn't consider him the best D in the league, but he's picked up his possession game to a very high degree and is controlling the game on the offensive end in a way that is above even his standard, gotta give him props

Though, I hope he doesn't win, just to keep his cap hit down on his next contract

I hope he wins! Winning mentality and everything.

I wouldn't say he is the best dman in the league; he just has an argument for the best defenseman-season in the league. Guys like Subban, Keith, Hedman, Letang, Ekman-Larsson, etc. are generally in the mix and have a history(ish) of success.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I like the hobo beard mentality that goes along with Burns so him. Nominally, I'd take Karlsson for a year but the mentality that led to Burns being a giant bearded manchild wins it for me.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Well, IMO it was being generous to give Quick and Kopitar the nods this year.

I hope he wins! Winning mentality and everything.

I wouldn't say he is the best dman in the league; he just has an argument for the best defenseman-season in the league. Guys like Subban, Keith, Hedman, Letang, Ekman-Larsson, etc. are generally in the mix and have a history(ish) of success.

I'd agree on quick. But doughty and kopitar deserve to be in that conversation. Also I think jumbo should've gotten some votes.

Our line up seems stacked imo. Two 1Cs. Two 1Ds (by different definitions), an elite scoring winger. Only behind stamkos and ovi in the last 3-4 years I think. And then average to above average goaltending.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I think my main issue is that suter basically did what doughty did on a worse team and he's not even in the conversation.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
God Corsi annoys me :laugh:

Especially for a dman who is taking shots from the blue line.

Also doughty had a grand total of 9 takeaways.

That's because he always had the puck!

But ignore his 5-5 point production because stuff and things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad