GDT: Group S • May 13 • Russia 2, Czech Republic 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Another defensive masterpiece from Coach Bill. The defense has been suffocating - there is no room to maintain any puck possession or generate good scoring chances. The Czechs had nowhere to go to get good opportunities. Hopefully, this trend will continue in the medal round.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Well, a decent game. Barulin was solid, Malkin was a superhero.
Sadly, Datsyuk and Kuznetsov continue to disappoint. When Alexanders come, Kuzya and Shirokov or Zherdev get demoted, and rightfully.
Pavel still looks not healthy. Defensemen were okay, but missing hipchecks too often.
Hope now for a relatively easy game against Italy.

I don't follow the Wings closely ... didn't Datsyuk have surgery on his knee earlier in the year the re-aggravate it towards the end of the season? Is he fully recovered?

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
In Bill we trust!
I can remember last time we were so orginised. Like it!
And you know what? I don't see a room for Ovi and Semin in this team:)

Fulcrum

close game as usual. well, lucky us. barulin looked pretty solid up there like a Starting Goalie

I don't think Luck is the right word at all and takes credit away from the team. The team made this game, the deserve it. It's not like Czechs had many opportunities to put it away.

Fulcrum

In Bill we trust!
I can remember last time we were so orginised. Like it!
And you know what? I don't see a room for Ovi and Semin in this team:)

Not even over Shirokov or Zherdev?? They haven't done much and are not exactly defensive players. Especially Zherdev...

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
Not even over Shirokov or Zherdev?? They haven't done much and are not exactly defensive players. Especially Zherdev...

If someones are to be replaced - thats for sure the guys, you named. Zerdev esp. But despite of it they still do pretty good job in corners and even in defence and try hard. Anyway, I trust Bill:)

Talus

Nov 2, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
if i were a Russian fan i would be concerned about Ovie and Semen

joining the team especially in the quarter finals.

your team is gelling together nicely now,this could possibly turn out to be a disaster.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Man, we must be the softest team in the tournament. Sweden will destroy us with this attitude.

I think we can beat them if we improve at couple of areas. But I've seen a notable improvment today. Sure we can easily lose that game, but according to what I've seen today we have a chance.

You never know, but Germany shouldn't be a big problem IMO.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
I don't think Luck is the right word at all and takes credit away from the team. The team made this game, the deserve it. It's not like Czechs had many opportunities to put it away.
well, we didnt have many opportunities either. we were lucky to score at the very beginning and that clearly affected the flow of the game. the game was close and the score is a result of few mistakes which fortunately for us were made be czechs and it would be incorrect to say we played so much better that the win is well deserved hence i allowed myself to use the word luck

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Just came back from the game. One thing that captured my attention was how much bigger where Czech NHLers than the Russian KHL defencemen. And still they matched them hit for hit and where able to neutralize them in most cases.

Fulcrum

well, we didnt have many opportunities either. we were lucky to score at the very beginning and that clearly affected the flow of the game. the game was close and the score is a result of few mistakes which fortunately for us were made be czechs and it would be incorrect to say we played so much better that the win is well deserved hence i allowed myself to use the word luck

it's important not to forget that Russia was not focusing on trying to score, they were waiting for mistakes. I'm sure if they had been tied, or even down- we would've see A LOT more opportunities and chances from Russia

Fulcrum

your team is gelling together nicely now,this could possibly turn out to be a disaster.

I would be worried, but I'm not really because of who is in charge of the team. Belyaletdinov, I have quiet a bit of faith in his decision-making.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
it's important not to forget that Russia was not focusing on trying to score, they were waiting for mistakes. I'm sure if they had been tied, or even down- we would've see A LOT more opportunities and chances from Russia
well if they had been tied, or even down the result could easily be in favor of czechs

Fulcrum

well if they had been tied, or even down the result could easily be in favor of czechs

Well, I guess we see it differently..

I still don't think luck is the right word to describe Russia's victory today. I'm pretty sure the players And coaches would be insulted if that's what people thought of their effort.

I also don't think Czechs would call this game a lucky win for the Russians.

Erathian

May 18, 2010
Czech republic
I think we can beat them if we improve at couple of areas. But I've seen a notable improvment today. Sure we can easily lose that game, but according to what I've seen today we have a chance.

You never know, but Germany shouldn't be a big problem IMO.

Yes, we were better today in some aspects, that's for sure, but still... No hitting at all, no shots from defensemen in PP, nobody in front of the goalie. We must be better in this against Sweden.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Well, I guess we see it differently..

I still don't think luck is the right word to describe Russia's victory today. I'm pretty sure the players And coaches would be insulted if that's what people thought of their effort.

I also don't think Czechs would call this game a lucky win for the Russians.

no it wasn't lucky win, but it was that type of game that can go either way.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

I strongly disagree that the game was evenly played and that the margin of victory was a couple of fortunate bounces. Last year, if you will recall, the Czechs were buzzing all over the ice, getting offensive chance after chance. We were lucky the margin wasn't 5 or 6 goals. This year, it wasn't as if the Czechs just got unlucky - they had the ice taken away from them by a suffocating defense. The Czechs only had maybe two or three decent opportunities all day long (one crossbar was hit), but for the most part, their offense was totally frustrated. Russia's defense dominated, and the team earned a well-deserved victory.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

Yeah if Steve Stamkos and sydney crosby suddenly became available we canucks would turn them down due to chemisty. :laugh:

The top level russians over the last number of years have shown more desire and national pride in playing for their national team than the canadians. Amazing Don Cherry will probably have nothing to say about that. After a couple of crueling series and a disappointing series end canadian players would be off to the golf course. Ove and Semin deserve praise for this.

Domless

May 12, 2012
San Francisco
Czechs are going to pick the opponent again

I am pretty sure they are going to lose to Germans in order to play with team Russia again! Good luck.:laugh:

Fulcrum

I strongly disagree that the game was evenly played and that the margin of victory was a couple of fortunate bounces. Last year, if you will recall, the Czechs were buzzing all over the ice, getting offensive chance after chance. We were lucky the margin wasn't 5 or 6 goals. This year, it wasn't as if the Czechs just got unlucky - they had the ice taken away from them by a suffocating defense. The Czechs only had maybe two or three decent opportunities all day long (one crossbar was hit), but for the most part, their offense was totally frustrated. Russia's defense dominated, and the team earned a well-deserved victory.

yes yes and yes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad