GDT: Group S • May 12 • Norway 3, Latvia 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Yep Ø is a definite superior letter :laugh:....we loose because we don't have Mikkel Bødker....to little Ø in the roster! (ok we have the other Bødker, and Møller) buts it doesn't seem to be enough!

How do you pronaunce the Ø exactly?

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
How do you pronaunce the Ø exactly?

Actually it's a mix of ö and ø that is written by the same letter.
The original Ö was like greek oi (dansk øjne - "eyes").
Ø is more like french "eau" but short and pressured/"stød" - like danish Ø (meaning island) - gives like an echo sound /Ø'ø/

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
The Norwegians use it without the same pressure/"stød".....that is uniquely danish and one of the reasons other scandinavians find danish weird.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Actually it's a mix of ö and ø that is written by the same letter.
The original Ö was like greek oi (dansk øjne - "eyes").
Ø is more like french "eau" but short and pressured/"stød" - like danish Ø (meaning island) - gives like an echo sound /Ø'ø/

Okey,so i should pronaunce Bødker more like Beudker,right?

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Ø sounds like the second E in better.

Yeah maybe in swedish and norwegian, but not in danish (sorry but we have some really weird things in danish...i don't think any other european language even have what is called "glottal stop" in english - but it sounds like an echo.....In old dialect on Sjælland (Zealand) its even a strong Ø'Ø echo...while nowadays in standard danish its downtoned to Ø'ø (small echo) - but its not used at all in the southern part of Denmark.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Yeah maybe in swedish and norwegian, but not in danish (sorry but we have some really weird things in danish...i don't think any other european language even have what is called "glottal stop" in english - but it sounds like an echo.....In old dialect on Sjælland (Zealand) its even a strong Ø'Ø echo...while nowadays in standard danish its downtoned to Ø'ø (small echo) - but its not used at all in the southern part of Denmark.

Wow,danish sounds efffin hard,i thought about maybe i should learn Swedish but as i understand its not any easier

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
My teacher said in indoeuropean linguistics that Danish possible is the language in the world with most vowel sounds! Bjerg (norwegian/swedish) it would be easy...danish it's /b-j/i-aa-uuu/ or something like that....

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Eyjafjallajökull - thats the icelandic volcano that caused havoc to air traffic -- that should give your tongue some twists

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
yep...learn swedish first......then norwegian and if you want something really hard then danish or icelandic lol

First i have to learn german properly(3 years already of german) and all i can say-Deutsch ist sehr schwer.(i hope i wrote that right :D)

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
First i have to learn german properly(3 years already of german) and all i can say-Deutsch is sehr schwer.(i hope i wrote that right :D)

German and (Old) Icelandic still have the nominative-accusative-genetive-dative grammar, while the other scandinavian languages have lost the cases like in english. Danish grammer is fairly easy..it's only the phonetics that is hard IMO

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
German and (Old) Icelandic still have the nominative-accusative-genetive-dative grammar, while the other scandinavian languages have lost the cases like in english. Danish grammer is fairly easy..it's only the phonetics that is hard IMO

I think Latvian grammar for any foreigner would be confusing as **** :laugh:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I think Latvia grammar for any foreigner would be confusing as **** :laugh:

I have had some Lithuanian in indoeuropean....it's like Sanskrit....my god it's ancient they still have singularis-DUALIS!!!!-pluralis. Latvian is a more modernized version, right? Have much of each other can you understand???

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
I have had some Lithuanian in indoeuropean....it's like Sanskrit....my god it's ancient they still have singularis-DUALIS!!!!-pluralis. Latvian is a more modernized version, right? Have much of each other can you understand???

Very little,almost nothing. Altough what little lithuanian knowlage they have about latvian they use it jokingly insulting us calling us "zirga galvas" which in latvian means "horse heads" most of them even dont know the meaning but they still use it :laugh:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Very little,almost nothing. Altough what little lithuanian knowlage they have about latvian they use it jokingly insulting us calling us "zirga galvas" which in latvian means "horse heads" most of them even dont know the meaning but they still use it :laugh:

So what do you call the lithuanians??? and they call you horse heads....it's that because of some physical look :sarcasm:...or because horses are pagan, or the meaning not very bright???

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
So what do you call the lithuanians??? and they call you horse heads....it's that because of some physical look :sarcasm:...or because horses are pagan, or the meaning not very bright???

We haven`t come up with anything clever yet,the reason they call us horse heads- looking at latvia the shoreline looks like a horses head,but however we do make fun of estonians for beeing slow :D

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Haha, when Canada and USA are finished, It's all about who played the worst and the crappy refs. When Norway and Latvia are finished, time to learn some new languages so we can shout or write strange language in the "revenge-meeting" next year:laugh:

Kudos!:handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad