GDT: Group S • May 11 • Russia 7, Sweden 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneBruce

Jun 16, 2011
Can anyone post a video of Emelin spearing Franzén? tia

538 - SPEARING

a) A player who attempts to spear an opponent shall be assessed a:
Double Minor penalty + Misconduct penalty (2’+2’+10’)

b) A player who spears an opponent shall be assessed at the discretion of the Referee, a:
Major penalty + Automatic Game Misconduct penalty (5’+GM) or
Match penalty (MP)

c) A player who injures an opponent by spearing shall be assessed a:
Match penalty (MP)

Last edited:

Everlasting

Jun 5, 2010
Somwhere in time
ITs games like these which are the best. Even if i feel that Yemelin and the refs should be kronwalled. So many emotions and the games become even more exciting due to it.
Love it.

Fulcrum

538 - SPEARING

a) A player who attempts to spear an opponent shall be assessed a:
Double Minor penalty + Misconduct penalty (2’+2’+10’)

b) A player who spears an opponent shall be assessed at the discretion of the Referee, a:
Major penalty + Automatic Game Misconduct penalty (5’+GM) or
Match penalty (MP)

c) A player who injures an opponent by spearing shall be assessed a:
Match penalty (MP)

Stupid stupid spear by Yemelin. But 100% it wouldn't happen if Franzen didn't cross check him right before. Why did he do that? What was the point?

One is smarter than the other, as we say...

supermasif

Feb 23, 2012
Stockholm
Lots of Swedes are bitter whiners with serious attitude problems & are always looking for an excuse to blame someone else when things do not go their way - I readily agree. That is why I left Sweden 10 years ago 4ever!

Cool story bro :thumbu:

Russian diving antics is nothing new. When they're so blatant as Yemelin's award winning performance it becomes laughable. The real reason for losing the game is named Fasth though.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Cool story bro :thumbu:

Russian diving antics is nothing new. When they're so blatant as Yemelin's award winning performance it becomes laughable. The real reason for losing the game is named Fasth though.

Well, im not one of swede haters, i do root for em in football (because we never succes) and stuff but...

Has to be said that its not like swedes didint dive. They even have Järnkrok in the team, guy who is hardly known about anything else but diving. Every time we play swedes, they hold their faces to draw calls even if we didint touch them.

And then theres this kind ***** plays:

Its not like Swedes only dive, they ofc play great (and have more skill in their team on atleast on paper) but its not that they would be the cleanest players and they didint dive. They do.

I think Finland and USA are the least diving, specially thats how it was few years ago.. but recently its starting to look like when the refs whistle on those dives and "hits to the heads" ect when lowering your head on purpose, ect, you just got to do it yourself too to succes. Its very sad for hockey def. allways when a dive or teather happens.

Last edited:

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
Well, im not one of swede haters, i do root for em in football (because we never succes) and stuff but...

Has to be said that its not like swedes didint dive. They even have Järnkrok in the team, guy who is hardly known about anything else but diving. Every time we play swedes, they hold their faces to draw calls even if we didint touch them.

Its not like Swedes only dive, they ofc play great but its not that they would be the cleanest players and they didint dive. They do.

I think Finland and USA are the least diving, specially thats how it was few years ago.. but recently its starting to look like when the refs whistle on those dives and "hits to the heads" ect when lowering your head on purpose, ect, you just got to do it yourself too to succes. Its very sad for hockey def. allways when a dive or teather happens.

That's not really a dive though, is it? He didn't embellish the hit, he turtled in a very poor way, yes, but he didn't act like he was shot by a M1 Abrams from a light hit. I will agree to that american and finnish players are very rarely in situations where they might be percieved as "diving". Respectable.

sivert

Apr 5, 2007
Kazan
That's not really a dive though, is it? He didn't embellish the hit, he turtled in a very poor way, yes, but he didn't act like he was shot by a M1 Abrams from a light hit. I will agree to that american and finnish players are very rarely in situations where they might be percieved as "diving". Respectable.
He didn't mean that was a dive. This move by Persson was much worse. It was cowardly and reckless.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Stupid stupid spear by Yemelin. But 100% it wouldn't happen if Franzen didn't cross check him right before. Why did he do that? What was the point?

One is smarter than the other, as we say...

There is no good excuse for spearing, one of the worst kinds of fouls, but Fulcrum is right that there was clearly an exchange of stick fouls between the two going on, and that the spear seemed to be an impulsive response to Franzen's cross check. i'm not in any way excusing Emelin, but if you watch the video clip, the spear appears to be a quick sideways jab, rather than a calculated attempt to drive the stick into Franzen's stomach. While he didn't deserve to be speared, Franzen was pretty guilty of stirring things up all day yesterday, trying to use physical intimidation to get the Russians off of their game. Emelin stood up to him, even if quite illegally.

WayneBruce

Jun 16, 2011

Its not like Swedes only dive, they ofc play great but its not that they would be the cleanest players and they didint dive. They do.

You don´t know anything about Järnkrok and you have never seen him play in Brynäs, it´s so obvious. He did something stupid in the playoffs but "hardly known for anything but diving"?? Stop trolling. Some finns take every opportunity they get to bash sweden and the swedish players. Finns are far from perfect, no country is. I remember Jarkko Ruutus dive in 2009, it was so obvious and he even got a penalty for it:amazed:

aLus

Jun 27, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden

Its not like Swedes only dive, they ofc play great (and have more skill in their team on atleast on paper) but its not that they would be the cleanest players and they didint dive. They do.

Holy **** that was as dirty as it gets. Haven't seen that one before.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
You don´t know anything about Järnkrok and you have never seen him play in Brynäs, it´s so obvious. He did something stupid in the playoffs but "hardly known for anything but diving"?? Stop trolling. Some finns take every opportunity they get to bash sweden and the swedish players. Finns are far from perfect, no country is. I remember Jarkko Ruutus dive in 2009, it was so obvious and he even got a penalty for it:amazed:

I agree that I dont know Järnkrok good enough, that was pretty bad addition. But I think im still right with the actual point that I had there.

Im not trying to bash Sweden in general. I think what I said is true, swedes are not the cleanest players, but has to be now said in their favour, they never injury their opponents on purpose or be really dirty. They just play whats called "little-pig" in Finland.

Ruutu does dive, its kinda shame for us finns. But he also is tough and is ready to fight and stand up for hes actions, thought.

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009

Haven't seen this before, but as a Swede; despicable play by Persson, completely inexcusable.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I said it yesterday and I'll say it again - if that's where Emelin has his face, I wonder where his brain is because his anatomy is apparently non human.

Diving always has been, and I'd be surprised if it won't always be, part of the game. Emelin deserves all the condemnation given him for spearing, but I think the dives that drew penalties should be considered smart plays. Remember, he is taking a risk, because the referee can put him in the penalty box for diving if he doesn't "sell" the notion that he is the victim. In the case of the dive against Franzen, it was more flagrant, but for the Russians, the goal scored on the power play literally changed the momentum of the game. The dive against Landeskog was easier to sell, because Landeskog lost his cool and went out of his way to cross check Emelin up high. The referee can't tell, in a split second, whether he got hit in the face or not. It should have been a penalty even if Emelin didn't embellish it.

If a Swedish player took a similar dive, and a Russian player went to the penalty box, i would curse the referee, but hopefully give full credit to the Swedish player for making a smart play. I can't imagine the day when, in big games, players won't exaggerate hits to try to get an advantage for their team.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Diving always has been, and I'd be surprised if it won't always be, part of the game. Emelin deserves all the condemnation given him for spearing, but I think the dives that drew penalties should be considered smart plays.

That is one of the biggest problems of modern hockey. Now when the goons are gone, the mouses are on table. This kind of crap is smart to do, because no one is allowed to make good ol' paybck because the fighting rules and for every slash ect taken out by refs. I would love to see in these games for example joensuu go after a diver and make him defend himself or get beaten the crap out for that diving, anly only penalty for 5min for both or personal 10min at max. That would stop this diving if your team had its own Sami Helenius or Jarkko Ruutu as 13th / 7th..

But guess they are not going to allow the old way, so:

They should be giving atleast 10 times more diving penalties. Now diving happens all the time, but penalty is next to never given. On big "teather shows" could even apply 3 game or so penalties. Thats a big problem, unacceptable in the game of hockey.

Last edited:

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
That is one of the biggest problems of modern hockey. Now when the goons are gone, the mouses are on table. This kind of crap is smart to do, because no one is allowed to make good ol' paybck because the fighting rules and for every slash ect taken out by refs. I would love to see in these games for example joensuu go after a diver and make him defend himself or get beaten the crap out for that diving, anly only penalty for 5min for both or personal 10min at max. That would stop this diving if your team had its own Sami Helenius or Jarkko Ruutu as 13th / 7th..

But guess they are not going to allow the old way, so:

They should be giving atleast 10 times more diving penalties. Now diving happens all the time, but penalty is next to never given. On big "teather shows" could even apply 3 game or so penalties. Thats a big problem, unacceptable in the game of hockey.

I think you are right about how wonderful it would be to go back to a goon show on ice. Wouldn't it be great if there was more violence that we could sit back in our comfortable chairs and truly enjoy! I hate hockey with guys like Datsyuk and Selanne - wouldn't it be much better if the entire lineup was composed of Artyukin's and Jarko Ruutu's? You are a true visionary for the future of the sport!

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I think you are right about how wonderful it would be to go back to a goon show on ice. Wouldn't it be great if there was more violence that we could sit back in our comfortable chairs and truly enjoy! I hate hockey with guys like Datsyuk and Selanne - wouldn't it be much better if the entire lineup was composed of Artyukin's and Jarko Ruutu's? You are a true visionary for the future of the sport!
Well I know everyone but me hated the goons, and I said thats not gonna happen. Dont like the other violence, but I like hockey fights when they do it for reason, not just for show. Why did you totally skip the part that I actually visioned for the future, more diving penalties.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Yeah, well, if you think Malkin is an angel who keeps his mouth shut during games, you'd better think again.

I never said that Malkin is an angel ... I said that it looks like somebody hasn't gotten over 2009.

From Malkin's first shift Sweden's players were on top of him. I still don't see how Popov was the only one to draw a penalty five minutes into the first period. Throughout the game Sweden tried to throw Malkin off of his game, posters here were calling for them to actually hurt him. And what happened? Instead of neutralizing him, Sweden pushed him into beast mode.

No, Geno is no angel. Far from it. He plays with an edge. His heart is on his sleeve. And until this season it was easy to throw him off of his game. This season, things changed. He's maturing, becoming a man not just in body but in mind as well. His injury changed a lot of things, he's talked about it. Maybe it's something only Pens fans see because we watch him play so often ... but things have changed. Sure, he still takes some dumb penalties, but he's more likely to use it to stay focused. This season there were clear changes in Malkin's game and his attitude. Positive changes. So that old game plan of pushing him off his game more often than not backfires. Teams are finding out that it's not a good idea to poke the bear.

DaveH

Oct 9, 2011
I never said that Malkin is an angel ... I said that it looks like somebody hasn't gotten over 2009.

From Malkin's first shift Sweden's players were on top of him. I still don't see how Popov was the only one to draw a penalty five minutes into the first period. Throughout the game Sweden tried to throw Malkin off of his game, posters here were calling for them to actually hurt him. And what happened? Instead of neutralizing him, Sweden pushed him into beast mode.

No, Geno is no angel. Far from it. He plays with an edge. His heart is on his sleeve. And until this season it was easy to throw him off of his game. This season, things changed. He's maturing, becoming a man not just in body but in mind as well. His injury changed a lot of things, he's talked about it. Maybe it's something only Pens fans see because we watch him play so often ... but things have changed. Sure, he still takes some dumb penalties, but he's more likely to use it to stay focused. This season there were clear changes in Malkin's game and his attitude. Positive changes. So that old game plan of pushing him off his game more often than not backfires. Teams are finding out that it's not a good idea to poke the bear.

Yeah, so your point is it's a stupid tactic if you want to win vs Malkin. Swedes were dumb. End of story. There was nothing done worty of a penalty except what Franzen did, and Malkin fought back. He could've turtled.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Looking forward to a re-match. Hopefully with Henrik Lundqvist, Hagelin and J.Ericsson on the team.

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm

Throughout the game? The only time I saw someone go after Malkin completely was when Franzén and Nikulin were having a scrum and Malkin was yelling something at Franzén, after that Franzén started punching towards Malkin instead of Nikulin and had his glove in his face. I never saw those posters that you mention, but you're really one-eyed if you're saying that Malkin was a victim of brutal play yesterday and that he did nothing to deserve whatever treatment he got. It was a rough game, Malkin has a lot of ice-time and is a leader on the russian team. Go figure he's gonna be in the centre of attention if there are scrums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad