GDT: Group H • May 9 • Canada 3, Switzerland 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tissotti

Apr 30, 2011
Helsinki

First thing that always comes to my mind when people say that. :D

Really feel sorry for Swiss. Fin game could have ended either way, same for this game. They play entertaining hockey so i really hope we see them in this tournament in future as well.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Best game from Canada overall. Actually looked pretty good in their own zone, with most of the Swiss chances coming off the rush. Most guys actually exerted some effort while skating.

Good:
Tavares line. Best line on the team hands down. Skinner should stop diving and embellishing though.
Kane. Easily the fastest skater among the Canadian forwards, he's impressed me with his all around play.
Defencemen kept it simple, and it was effective. Even Murray looked pretty good today, but then again the Swiss didn't really apply very much sustained pressure.
The Swiss goaltender's delayed reaction to Sharp's stick brushing against his mask.
Finn girls who hand over the watches.

Bad:
Perry needs to figure out that he isn't Mario Lemieux. Keep it simple and stop trying all kinds of fancy crap that never works.
The first PP unit. Why the Getzlaf-Perry-Skinner-Benn-Phaneuf unit got the most PP time mystifies me. They can't establish possession.

Confusing:
Getzlaf has great hands, and seems very strong. He also seems intent on skating only as fast as kids on school skating days. He could be so good if he would just move faster.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
I think with a bit more urgency and coaching this team is capable, they have the skills for sure

I really hope so, but I doubt it.
Coaching isn't that bad. But our nominations are pretty strange from time to time. Despite he played a great game this evening, I still think Bezina doesn't really belong in this team.

The next point would be our offense. As already mentioned, we lack a goalscorer. Brunner and Wick are great wingers, but they are way to playful to be efficient. We don't have any (really good) players, that simplify our plays.

Anyway, there is still a LOT of work for our team to do. But thank you for the kind words.

Mara

May 10, 2011
Canada gets two important points. Hope they can get at least one against the Finns.

Switzerland was better than Finland for most of the game, Canada was clearly better than Switzerland in the first period and then quite even for the rest. As long as Canada doesn't screw up in their own zone they should get the win, on paper.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Canada's best game of the tournament thus far. Ward better step his game up though. Shaky throughout.

:laugh:

Yep, how dare Ward let those players set up all alone in front. If he sees a player open, he's supposed to call timeout, forcibly grab a Canadian defender, and duct tape him to that player shouting "Maybe now you'll play some ******* defense!"

Seriously, is it possible for you to give any credit to a goaltender? Or is anything less than a shutout completely unacceptable?

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
Canada played well today against a good Swiss team. I was impressed with how well Switzerland played today; they had an aggressive forecheck and played good D when they were trapped in their own zone.

Ward has to play better though, he was juggling some pucks and giving up some juicy rebounds early on, but he settled down later on in the game. I'm looking forward to Canada's game tomorrow against the fins

Leaf

Apr 25, 2012
Couple things I noticed:

Dive by Stephan was a bit deserved. I think Sharp got him a little harder than anyone thought, though I have no doubt that Stephan was completely uninjured in any way on the play.

This 'three minutes and all ye are fallen' thing kills me. I hope it sticks with Getzlaf for his entire international career.

Was another bomb by Getzlaf. I wish he'd actual try playing hockey instead of just coasting everywhere. He could actually be worth more than his current salary that way.

Eberle is a beast.

Ward was a bit shaky sometimes, but people are giving him flack that he doesn't deserve. I've spent some time defending him, but I think I'll stop, since the only person that can silence the complaints is Ward himself.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
:laugh:

Yep, how dare Ward let those players set up all alone in front. If he sees a player open, he's supposed to call timeout, forcibly grab a Canadian defender, and duct tape him to that player shouting "Maybe now you'll play some ******* defense!"

Seriously, is it possible for you to give any credit to a goaltender? Or is anything less than a shutout completely unacceptable?

Another five hole goal against today. Too many of those lately. Also, he was off his angle multiple times and bobbled several easy shots. Also, I believe it's two games in a row how that he allowed a goal on the first opposition shot. I didn't say he had a terrible game, I said he was shaky through the game and didn't look comfortable for most of it. Try watching the game before running your mouth. :laugh:

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Another five hole goal against today. Too many of those lately. Also, he was off his angle multiple times and bobbled several easy shots. Also, I believe it's two games in a row how that he allowed a goal on the first opposition shot. I didn't say he had a terrible game, I said he was shaky through the game and didn't look comfortable for most of it. Try watching the game before running your mouth. :laugh:

No, you didn't say he had a terrible game. You just called him a sieve and claimed he never makes the big saves. You know, despite the fact that anyone who watched the game would say otherwise.

As far as the goals against, it's a player left all alone on the rush off a broken play and it's a screened shot on the powerplay. You're looking for perfection from a goaltender (and a team) that's shown very little reason to have those expectations.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
No, you didn't say he had a terrible game. You just called him a sieve and claimed he never makes the big saves. You know, despite the fact that anyone who watched the game would say otherwise.

As far as the goals against, it's a player left all alone on the rush off a broken play and it's a screened shot on the powerplay. You're looking for perfection from a goaltender (and a team) that's shown very little reason to have those expectations.

This was Ward's first "good" game of the tournament. Coming into this game, his save percentage was .896. That's pretty ****ing awful for a number one goaltender. In the first 2 games he played, he wasn't making the big saves (or even a few of the simple ones). I'll be hard on him until he proves that he can perform at a high level on a consistent basis. Tonight was a adequate, albeit shaky start.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
This was Ward's first "good" game of the tournament. Coming into this game, his save percentage was .896. That's pretty ****ing awful for a number one goaltender. In the first 2 games he played, he wasn't making the big saves. I'll be hard on him until he proves that he can perform at a high level on a consistent basis. Tonight was a adequate, albeit shaky start.

It's also the first game that Canada didn't look like a bunch of individuals skating around with their heads cut off. Especially on defense.

But I'm sure that's just a coincidence, right?

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
It's also the first game that Canada didn't look like a bunch of individuals skating around with their heads cut off. Especially on defense.

But I'm sure that's just a coincidence, right?

No one said Canada's team defence was on the level of the 2000 New Jersey Devils. However, several of the goals he allowed against the United States (namely the first, third and fourth) were all of the soft variety. Watch the highlights again. You're not a Hurricanes fan, are you? :laugh:

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
No one said Canada's team defence was on the level of the 2000 New Jersey Devils. However, several of the goals he allowed against the United States (namely the first, third and fourth) were all of the soft variety. Watch the highlights again. You're not a Hurricanes fan, are you? :laugh:

I never said Ward hasn't given up soft goals. Simply that he's not been the problem for most of the goals against. The first was on Ward. The shorthanded goal and the 4th goal were the direct result of the players in front of him getting outworked along the boards by the US 4th line. Those aren't on Ward.

If you've got a team that's shaky, you're going to have a goaltender that's shaky and vise-versa. If there's no trust that the defense/forwards to help the goaltender out, the goaltender is going to try and compensate for that, leading to overcommitment and bobbled chances. If there's no trust in the goaltender to make the easy saves, the defense/forwards are going to try and compensate for that, leading to defensive breakdowns and great chances against.

And given the way the team's played these early games and the fact most have never played together, it's obvious there's been a major issue of trust early on, which is built upon when defensive breakdowns lead to goals or the goaltender gives up soft ones. This game could be the game Canada needed. They played much better together and came away with a victory.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
I never said Ward hasn't given up soft goals. Simply that he's not been the problem for most of the goals against. The first was on Ward. The shorthanded goal and the 4th goal were the direct result of the players in front of him getting outworked along the boards by the US 4th line. Those aren't on Ward.

If you've got a team that's shaky, you're going to have a goaltender that's shaky and vise-versa. If there's no trust that the defense/forwards to help the goaltender out, the goaltender is going to try and compensate for that, leading to overcommitment and bobbled chances. If there's no trust in the goaltender to make the easy saves, the defense/forwards are going to try and compensate for that, leading to defensive breakdowns and great chances against.

And given the way the team's played these early games and the fact most have never played together, it's obvious there's been a major issue of trust early on, which is built upon when defensive breakdowns lead to goals or the goaltender gives up soft ones. This game could be the game Canada needed. They played much better together and came away with a victory.

So you are a Hurricanes fan. Good to know. ;) I think the best way I can put it for you, is that defensive systems break down. No matter how good your team is, or how good your defensemen are as individuals, there is going to be defensive breakdowns at some point in the game. Not every defensive breakdown should end up in the back of your net. Your goalie should be able to come up with a big save here and there. Ward did not do that against Team USA. Take off the homer glasses.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So you are a Hurricanes fan. Good to know. ;) I think the best way I can put it for you, is that defensive systems break down. No matter how good your team is, or how good your defensemen are as individuals, there is going to be defensive breakdowns at some point in the game. Not every defensive breakdown should end up in the back of your net. Your goalie should be able to come up with a big save here and there. Ward did not do that against Team USA. Take off the homer glasses.

He faced 46 shots against Team US and was a major reason why Canada entered the 3rd tied. He's come up with plenty of big saves in this tournament, which you've never acknowledged. There were at least 3 in this past game alone (one while the game was tied 1-1 and two while Switzerland was pushing late). Defenses do breakdown, but a goaltender shouldn't be expected to make a save everytime that happens, nor should he be getting the blame when a goal comes from a defensive breakdown, something you've done quite often.

You've made it quite clear in the past GDTs that you're not happy with the Canadian goaltending. You even created a topic stating such. Stop drinking the haterade, take off the blinders and realize that the problem isn't Canadian goaltending, it's your expectations of Canadian goaltending (and Team Canada in general).

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
He faced 46 shots against Team US and was a major reason why Canada entered the 3rd tied. He's come up with plenty of big saves in this tournament, which you've never acknowledged. There were at least 3 in this past game alone (one while the game was tied 1-1 and two while Switzerland was pushing late). Defenses do breakdown, but a goaltender shouldn't be expected to make a save everytime that happens.

You've made it quite clear in the past GDTs that you're not happy with the Canadian goaltending. You even created a topic stating such. Stop drinking the haterade, take off the blinders and realize that the problem isn't Canadian goaltending, it's your expectations of Canadian goaltending (and Team Canada in general).

This isn't 2006 anymore. Cam Ward was awesome for your team in '06, but that was 6 years ago. Time to move on.

Also, try reading through that topic some time. If you think that there's a problem with me (and other Canadian fans) expecting better than ~.800 goaltending on the international stage, perhaps you should stop watching hockey and go back to NASCAR.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
This isn't 2006 anymore. Cam Ward was awesome for your team in '06, but that was 6 years ago. Time to move on.

Ward's been awesome for the team the past two years and in 09. But you know, keep holding onto your flawed image. It makes it so much more obvious you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

Or maybe it's because you're a Leaf fan and haven't seen what decent goaltending looks like in years...

Also, try reading through that topic some time. If you think that there's a problem with me (and other Canadian fans) expecting better than ~.800 goaltending on the international stage, perhaps you should stop watching hockey and go back to NASCAR.

Stereotypes are fun, aren't they? Maybe you can discuss it with your moose as you chug maple syrup. ;)

I don't need to read through the topic to know that Ward kept Canada alive against the US early on in the game. Canada played terribly in the first and Ward was the reason the score wasn't much worse. I know because I watched the game. But since you insist:

#136 - "Ward looking good despite first goal"
#171 - "Good save Wardo!"
#188 - "Big save from Ward!"
#200 - "At least Ward remembered there's a game this morning. That was a pretty awful period for the rest of the team, though"
#201 - "Wardo making dandy saves...Dion left his skates to the locker room"

And my personal favorite, because it came from you in response to #200:

#206 - "Yep. As much as a rag on Ward, that was just an awful period for Canada. Everyone who knows anything about hockey knew that this defensive core was **** and slow as all hell. Doesn't bode well when playing the speedy American team on international ice."

But please, continue to talk about how Ward's the problem. Or continue to resort to stereotypes to drive your point home. :laugh:

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
Ward's been awesome for the team the past two years and in 09. But you know, keep holding onto your flawed image. It makes it so much more obvious you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

Or maybe it's because you're a Leaf fan and haven't seen what decent goaltending looks like in years...

Stereotypes are fun, aren't they? Maybe you can discuss it with your moose as you chug maple syrup. ;)

I don't need to read through the topic to know that Ward kept Canada alive against the US early on in the game. Canada played terribly in the first and Ward was the reason the score wasn't much worse. I know because I watched the game. But since you insist:

#136 - "Ward looking good despite first goal"
#171 - "Good save Wardo!"
#188 - "Big save from Ward!"
#200 - "At least Ward remembered there's a game this morning. That was a pretty awful period for the rest of the team, though"
#201 - "Wardo making dandy saves...Dion left his skates to the locker room"

And my personal favorite, because it came from you in response to #200:

#206 - "Yep. As much as a rag on Ward, that was just an awful period for Canada. Everyone who knows anything about hockey knew that this defensive core was **** and slow as all hell. Doesn't bode well when playing the speedy American team on international ice."

But please, continue to talk about how Ward's the problem. Or continue to resort to stereotypes to drive your point home. :laugh:

Being a Leafs fan, and watching Jonas Gustavsson play on a nightly basis, he's a lot like Cam Ward was against Team USA. Makes a few big saves and then proceeds to allow a few ****** goals. I don't care how many big saves you make, it's null and void when you allow a similar number of softies. Also, my remarks about goaltending expectations had nothing to do with Ward. I was referring to the topic I created which mainly deals with WJC goaltending.

This team is far from perfect and still has a lot of work to do if they want even a sniff at the gold medal. Up until today, Ward was not "the problem". But he was one of them, as were many other players on the team. Believe me, there's nothing more I'd love than for Ward to go on a tear and deliver Conn Smythe caliber goaltending en route to a World Championship gold medal. I don't expect that to happen, of course. I do hope that he can at least be solid and deliver ~.920 goaltending the rest of the way. I'll gladly eat crow if he does.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So now your argument has gone from "He doesn't make the big saves" to "I don't care how many big saves he makes". Good to know :laugh:

I'm done here. Ward could put on a Conn Smythe performance and you'd still fault the guy for not getting it done sooner. You're just looking for something to complain about and have your sights set in the wrong direction.

Matt Ryan

Falcons Rise Up
Oct 4, 2011
San Francisco

Chill the **** out man. When has ward had that kind of save percentage (.800)? I am an Oilers fan who hates Ward (2006), but man he's been fine. Also, your stupid "oh you're a homer" arguments and stereotypes just make you seem like an ass hole. What does NASCAR have to do with anything at all? Chill out dude, for real.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad