GDT: Group H • May 4 • Belarus 0, Finland 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I'm willing to give these lines 1 more game, but if things wont change:

-J.Jokinen to #3 line, swap with Komarov
-Immonen out of the whole lineup and Tuppurainen in line #3
-New line #2 center would be either Granlund or Kapanen, if we run out of centers and want to keep Granlund as a winger, then take Immonen back and place him as #3 center

Last edited:

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu
Can anyone tell me how Filppula played? I think he was on Mikko Koivu and Jokinen's line.

Filppula was OK. But to be honest Koivu was the only one who played at his level. Flip and Jokinen were both pretty invisible instead of few nice moves.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Eh? First of all, his stats are not the issue. Second, I don't see how you deduct from those stats that one tournament is worse than the other.
I don't. I remember how he played back in those tournaments. It was good play most of the time. For example, he played good in 2008 with M.Koivu and T.Ruutu but then Saku joined the team, they just had to find new slot in the top-six for struggling OJ and Jussi had to make way.

It's just that most of the time his stats reflect his level of play. Nothing more.

FinRuutu

Red Wins
Feb 7, 2010
Helsinki
Name one.

Jokinen was average tonight but Filppula was hardly any better and I don't see anyone sending him to Mestis.

I agree that this Jokinen bashing is too early. It's been one game... This is normal in HFBoards to judge players based on one game but I don't think that works in a long run. HFBoards is all about "What have you done me in the last 24hours".

But your statement regarding Filppula not being hardly any better is false too. Filppula was one of the best skaters along with Granlund and Joensuu.

It was the first game... It has been hard game for Finland in past years also. Be patient and we will see how things click. You act like we've lost this tournament already.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
-New line #2 center would be either Granlund or Kapanen
First suggestion, worth a shot.

Next two... well, let's just say that the way you started did show some promise.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
There's a name for people like you: prostitute fan or maybe even worse - a customer

I have no idea what you mean by that. If I'm reading this right, you're insulting me because I follow the NHL and our national team more regularly than the SM-league? Because I love my NHL team more than my SM-league team? Because I value better quality hockey over poor quality hockey?

If that's what you mean, then I really don't care what you think about that. I grew up in a town with no hockey team (well, not in the SM-league / Mestis level), during a time when hockey wasn't shown on TV that much either. Didn't really grow any ties to any team.

You don't watch Olympics much then?

(Or you're very young)

Could be that (although, I have seen every game since 94). Could be my age, too. Could be my failing memory. But it also could be that you need to look in your dictionary and find out what "stellar" means. I'd put my money on that one.

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu
Eh? First of all, his stats are not the issue. Second, I He wasn't slowing his line down back then, like he is now, but I expect more from our first liners with NHL status.

He wasn't slowing our first line down. Do you guys only listen to Mertaranta and make you deciosions after him?

FinRuutu

Red Wins
Feb 7, 2010
Helsinki
I'm willing to give these lines 1 more game, but if things wont change:

-New line #2 center would be either Granlund or Kapanen, if we run out of centers and want to keep Granlund as a winger, then take Immonen back and place him as #3 center

Whaaaat? :laugh:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
First suggestion, worth a shot.

Next two... well, let's just say that the way you started did show some promise.

If you are trying to defend Immonen, he was no better than J.Jokinen this game and I am, YES very pessimistic about him improving this tournament. He didn't do anything special in the practise games either and if he wasn't such a big national hero he would've been cut just like Petrell and Nokelainen were cut for the reason that was that their current forms weren't good or they didn't show it in the practise games just like Immonen.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
He wasn't slowing our first line down. Do you guys only listen to Mertaranta and make you deciosions after him?

I'm pretty sure this "bashing" started before Mertaranta even said anything about Jokinen. Couldn't be sure, though, as I don't really pay that much attention to his ramblings. To be honest, that guy pisses me off most of the time.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Because they do reflect his level of play most of the time, as I said?

That's fine. It's just that the way you wrote it the first time made it seem like you were basing your point on his stats. Shouldn't mislead people. Wasted my time clicking open that link and looking at those stats, and finding nothing that countered my point.

Still, I never said he's always been bad. I said he's never been stellar. There's a big difference. I am saying he was bad today, though.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
If you are trying to defend Immonen, he was no better than J.Jokinen this game
Which means he was average. You don't give average players who do have the skills to do better boot from the lineup, you give 'em some time to improve. If necessary, you may have to shuffle some lines a bit. Hockey 101.

Though to me, Immonen looked just fine... as did the whole team. In fact, if a guy called Vitali Koval hadn't had a rather productive night at work, we'd be seeing a lot less witch hunts here right now.

So put away your pitchfork, young one, and go get some rest. It's a new day tomorrow.

Mara

May 10, 2011
Oh well, pretty much pointless to talk about line changes as Jalonen has no intention to start with them after one game. Apparently he counted scoring chances for first line as 8 to 1, and seemed confident that the points will come. He considered this a better start for the first line than last year. Slovakia will be a good measuring stick.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Oh well, pretty much pointless to talk about line changes as Jalonen has no intention to start with them after one game. Apparently he counted scoring chances for first line as 8 to 1, and seemed confident that the points will come. He considered this a better start for the first line than last year. Slovakia will be a good measuring stick.

I hope he's right this time too. I hope that Jokinen will prove my tonights thoughts about him wrong.

The fourth line wasnt really that great neither. They didint bring that energy as much as expected what we would've needed at hard times, and Belarussians almost tied it those times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad