GDT: Group H • May 4 • Belarus 0, Finland 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mara

May 10, 2011
The problem is that none of the guys in the first line is a goal scorer willing to do some dirty work so when Belarus defended the center heavily there was nobody to pass to and they couldn't create too many great chances.

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu
Thats what I would do. Jokinen to mestis.

So you really want a midget from Savo to play for our first line instead of Carolina's TOP-3 forward?

This Jokinen hate is pitiful. Rest of Finland hates him because he was part of the Kärpät dynasty 2004-2008.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
So you really want a midget from Savo to play for our first line instead of Carolina's TOP-3 forward?

This Jokinen hate is pitiful. Rest of Finland hates him because he was part of the Kärpät dynasty 2004-2008.

Lol, you overrate Kärpät / the feelings they trigger in people. I didint even remember their dynasty, but he just doesnt deserve to be there and who else could replace him? If next game is that sloppy he should be out, i dont care what league he plays, we have better player than tonights jokinen.

Mara

May 10, 2011

Honestly Jokinen was a bit invisible in the game. The first line needs someone who can shoot and Koivu-Filppula worked well together for most of the game so... But I'm not sure if Jalonen wants to start shuffling the lines after one game, Slovakia should be a good "final" test for the current ones.

Mara

May 10, 2011
Lol, you overrate Kärpät / the feelings they trigger in people. I didint even remember their dynasty, but he just doesnt deserve to be there and who else could replace him? If next game is that sloppy he should be out, i dont care what league he plays, we have better player than tonights jokinen.

You follow SM-liiga and you don't remember which team dominated the first decade of the 21st century? Wow. :laugh:

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu

Name one.

Jokinen was average tonight but Filppula was hardly any better and I don't see anyone sending him to Mestis.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I gotta agree with Eidyia here.

Jokinen wasn't certainly outstanding, but not abysmal either. And the game looked otherwise fine, all the lines were shuffling and creating chances. It would have been a clear win if not for Koval.

First game with this lineup. FIRST game. Our guys won, and while the showing was a bit average for some folks, nobody stunk like Juti's old underwear. This is usually a situation where any sensible person lets it be for a game or two more before starting to cry out for changes. So get real.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Name one.

Jokinen was average tonight but Filppula was hardly any better and I don't see anyone sending him to Mestis.

Ok you would not do any changes, no matter what happens. I truly believe he should be sent into the mestis, maybe even suomi-sarja :sarcasm:

I named 1.

You follow SM-liiga and you don't remember which team dominated the first decade of the 21st century? Wow. :laugh:

Oh yeah, I should be thinking about SM-Liiga 2004 and based on that love jokinen? Cmon, 2004 is 8 years past. It doesnt matter this moment a bit anymore. I see thats how you and enya must be thinking, but sadly it doesnt matter anymore, it matters how they perform now.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Rest of Finland hates him because he was part of the Kärpät dynasty 2004-2008.

Yeah, that's why we dislike him... :shakehead

You know, some of us barely even follow the SM-liiga, let alone care about it.

Our feelings toward Jokinen are mostly based on his performances in the National Team, and they've never been stellar.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Our feelings toward Jokinen are mostly based on his performances in the National Team, and they've never been stellar.
Turin Olympics might be an exception. Peltonen-Jokinen-Jokinen as second line was almost as good as Lehtinen-Koivu-Selänne.

Not feeling any particular love towards Jokinen either, but let's at least get the facts straight.

In fact... http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=2716

Looking at those stats, I can see ONE bad NT tour from Jokinen, the 2010 WHC. Otherwise he has been average at worst, and better than decent at best. I can understand peoples' minds being fresh from the Vancouver controversy, but it's funny how that tends to cloud the judgment far into the past.

Mara

May 10, 2011
Turin Olympics might be an exception. Peltonen-Jokinen-Jokinen as second line was almost as good as Lehtinen-Koivu-Selänne.

Not feeling any particular love towards Jokinen either, but let's at least get the facts straight.

Most people bash him as he was quite pissed(IIRC) about not making it to the Olympics 2010 and then he pretty much sucked in the WC.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Most people bash him as he was quite pissed(IIRC) about not making it to the Olympics 2010 and then he pretty much sucked in the WC.
I'm neutral towards the guy, but isn't it a bit unfair that he's meant to be a pariah since then to all eternity?

Oh right, this is Finland. Forgot that for a second.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Granlund looked very good in the game, looks like he is himself again.. didn't look this good in the Belarus training games.

Mara

May 10, 2011
I'm neutral towards the guy, but isn't it a bit unfair that he's meant to be a pariah since then to all eternity?

Oh right, this is Finland. Forgot that for a second.

People are people. I'm on the same boat with you, but if the line doesn't get some points against Slovakia and Koivu-Filppula continue playing together on a good level then I'd consider switching him for some shooting power.

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu

You know, some of us barely even follow the SM-liiga, let alone care about it.
There's a name for people like you: prostitute fan or maybe even worse - a customer

You don't watch Olympics much then?

(Or you're very young)

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I'm on the same boat with you, but if the line doesn't get some points against Slovakia and Koivu-Filppula continue playing together on a good level then I'd consider switching him for some shooting power.
It's obvious that he needs to be switched out if he continues being invisible (and the line stays scoreless), something needs to be done. I guess I only reacted strongly because people are going after his head after one game.

But yeah... people are people. Well said.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Can anyone tell me how Filppula played? I think he was on Mikko Koivu and Jokinen's line.
Flip looked fine out there. He was clearly on level with both of his linemates, fed some nice passes to them.

Surprisingly good, in fact, considering it's a brand new combination.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Can anyone tell me how Filppula played? I think he was on Mikko Koivu and Jokinen's line.

Very good especially in first period he dominated at times and gave few amazing passes.. pretty invisible in 3rd period though

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki

In fact... http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=2716

Looking at those stats, I can see ONE bad NT tour from Jokinen, the 2010 WHC. Otherwise he has been average at worst, and better than decent at best. I can understand peoples' minds being fresh from the Vancouver controversy, but it's funny how that tends to cloud the judgment far into the past.

Eh? First of all, his stats are not the issue. Second, I don't see how you deduct from those stats that one tournament is worse than the other. 2010 was bad with 3 points in 7 games, while 2008 wasn't with 4 points in 9 games? His 2006 stats look pretty good, but his play was still hardly stellar back then either. He wasn't slowing his line down back then, like he is now, but I expect more from our first liners with NHL status.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad