GDT: Group H • May 13 • Finland 0, United States 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
He did mot get tripped, his dman got knocked down but didn't bother him at all. He had a beef for sure kn Butlers goal.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Pitkänen has never shown interest in the world champs and he was not "discarded". He himself didn't want to come because of a yet another injury-riddled season and the fact that he has no contract at the moment.
Pitkänen has 2 years left after this season, so that shouldn't be a problem.

But as you said, he's been injured for most part of the season (again).

Anyway who was #6 for Finland? Lasch burned him bad late third. I didn't know Denis Wideman
is Finnish. LOL
I think #6 is Jaakola?

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I'm not sure which thread you've been reading, but I'm reading
a lot of appreciation and respect towards team USA in this
thread by us Finns - from the start of it.

Sorry, but American Dream is over enthusiastic. I agree with you.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
If Kalinin gets 3 games this should be atleast 3 and then more. Awful "hit" by Salmela.

Dominus

Nov 5, 2004
Absolutely horrible game from Finland. We refused to play the system, or couldn't because of USA's aggressive forecheck. Coaching staff or the players also couldn't adapt at all. My worst fear is that it's going to be like this against every team that has the speed and courage to execute a hard forecheck. Our players were once again downright scared and couldn't do anything with the puck.

Can't say anything positive about this team right now. Even Koivu's line was bad. This was not Lehtonen's fault but I'm thinking that we have to go with Vehanen from here on. Lehtonen's confidence is shot to pieces. The most disgusting thing was how we stopped even trying in the third period.

Congrats to USA. They knew exactly how they should play against Finland and completely undressed us. I'm 90% sure that if and when we face them again in the quarter finals it's going to be ugly, again.

Salmela is an idiot. Hope he doesn't play again in this tournament.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Will there be a video game recap?
I recorded the game, but it got cut off for some reason (No three recordings at once or power outages).

SupremefartMachine

Oct 2, 2010
Vermont
Although I want the US to win, I was disappointed with the effort by Finland. I was hoping for a good game from both teams. I haven't been able to watch much of this tournament, so it was kind of a bummer to see a lop sided game featuring two of the best teams in the WC.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
I've seen the goals and I don't think Lehtonen can be blamed. Maybe he could make a big stop on some of them, but first of all it was about bad coverage.

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
Unless Slovakia wins against Switzerland and Switzerland win against USA. That would take Slovakia and Finland to 15 pts each and USA to 13 pts.

You know, as much as I would like us to go all the way and would
rather face SVK in the QF, I still think USA deserves to go to the
semis, even if it was on our cost.

Their game today impressed me a LOT.

Last edited:

Danish Pastry

this is dream!
Jan 3, 2009
Copenhagen
got done watching it... GO USA!!!

Just overall dominating game and the few chances the fins got howard and the defense was there...

our forecheck was great our d got the puck out so fast and we were all over lehtonen all game...

just a great overall game... dont recall who hit goligoski but that was a nasty dirty hit...

USA BABY...

Dantso75

Oct 8, 2011
Finland
Bah, bad game. Have never seen Finland so sloppy ever. Played like a team of 12 year olds.
If Finland meets USA in the QF USA won't have such an easy time. I'm sure of that :)

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Pure domination by Team USA. This team has shown they're pretty dangerous when they respect their opponent. Thankfully there shouldn't be a team they'd play here on out that they would look down on so that's a bonus. The biggest difference, other than that, was that they also got back to the short, quick passing they showed against France/Canada. Allows them to establish their forecheck, cycle, and speed effectively to pin teams in their own end. They dropped the home run passes that were misfiring and turning into turnovers and rushes against that they fell into against Slovakia/Belarus/Kazakhstan and it had a huge effect obviously.

Glad Howard got the shutout. He really didn't have to make any big saves but one and that was the big glove save right before Palmieri ended up scoring at the other end. USA had dominated with ease but if that goes in this game could have turned in Finland's favor very quickly.

What a gutless play by Salmela. Deserves to be suspended for the rest of the tournament. Pesonen and Joensuu were running around trying to follow his lead as well after that.

Frank Booth

Feb 13, 2008
Lumberton, USA
Bah, bad game. Have never seen Finland so sloppy ever. Played like a team of 12 year olds.
If Finland meets USA in the QF USA won't have such an easy time. I'm sure of that :)

Yes Finland can improve their hooking, slashing, diving and hitting from behind. They were sloppy in the third period, as they didn't send any US players off on a stretcher. That certainly seemed like their entire goal, especially from the 45:00 minute mark. Gutless and disgraceful.

Dantso75

Oct 8, 2011
Finland
Frank Booth - Yeah, that was exactly what I wanted to say, stupid response. Without Salmela being a total D-bag it would'nt been much to whine about(In the way of disgraceful play). Finland just played so badly today, and as I said, I think it will be a totally different game if there's a rematch in the QFs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad