GDT: Group H • May 13 • Finland 0, United States 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
So far no team has been convincing all the matches. It bodes for some interesting QF's....you never know what will happen. I wouldn't have thought it possible for Finland to loose 5-0, but maybe they were mentally down after going 3-1 to 3-5 against Canada?

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
I didn't realize that the quarterfinals are within the group. That's utterly stupid.

Granin

Jul 16, 2011
Yeah, but guess hes one of those C-team trolls :sarcasm:

Yea I guess their best trolls are still in the playoffs and the ones that did come here don't really even care.

how many games does Salmela get for his cheap shot hit?

1-2 game suspension?

That's a pretty good guess I think. I absolutely hated the hit, mostly because it was so obvious he just did it out of frustration and didn't really care if he'd end up injuring someone. I just feel embarrased when my team does that.

Gotta give credit to the US team, they were better in every aspect of the game today.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Not this time. Can't chalk this up to bad bounces, bad refs, or anything like that. This was just Team Finland falling flat, badly... This was a failure on all fronts. Can't pick one player who played on his level today. Maybe Väänänen, but barely.

Nah, I was joking and our team was choking, obviously. It's really undignified to have these collapses as well as the US team played today. I don't like our slow starts when we play against these hard forechecking quick teams, we seem to just disintegrate if our regular puck control play is not working... Anyway, I quite like the USA as our QF adversary, we will be motivated in that game after today's humiliation!

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I would say that this is the most surprising result of the tournament along with the US v Kazakhstan game.

Great bounce back game by the Americans. In a great position to finish second.

Finland man. I don't know what to say.

They might have to play Sweden in the quarterfinals!

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
...I don't like our slow starts when we play against these hard forechecking quick teams, we seem to just disintegrate if our regular puck control play is not working...

Agreed to about 107%.

EDIT: What is worrying me is we don't have an
alternative system for teams playing like that.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
tuttileijona.jpg

Diagonaali

Jan 8, 2009
Finland
In my opinion Americans have been one of the strongest teams for the recent history of international games. They were unlucky to not close the deal in the previous olympics, but in the next olympics games they will be even stronger. The magic in a tournament hockey is to have players dedicated to the pride of playing for your nation and recently USA have presented that more than any country in international tournaments.

THerefore, this is pretty much what I was expecting for a Finland team with a mind-boggling number of the NHL players they have in the team

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Lazy effort by the Finns, but the refereeing was shameful. Couple of US penalties went uncalled and that Joensuu penalty late in the 3rd was not only completely unnecessary but also a completely stupid call at that point of the game.

At this rate, we'll lose to the Borats. That, or Jalonen gives the team the whipping they deserve, runs some D drills and hopefully we'll see lions instead of kittens on the ice in the quarters.

For the record, I still think Salmela's hit was a borderline 5. To be honest, it was quite far away from the boards and G lost his balance really easily. He essentially waited until Salmela was sent to the showers before he got back up, completely unhurt.

But then again, with the reffing we saw in the game, I expected to see a game misconduct.

Diagonaali

Jan 8, 2009
Finland
Lazy effort by the Finns, but the refereeing was shameful. Couple of US penalties went uncalled and that Joensuu penalty late in the 3rd was not only completely unnecessary but also a completely stupid call at that point of the game.

At this rate, we'll lose to the Borats. That, or Jalonen gives the team the whipping they deserve, runs some D drills and hopefully we'll see lions instead of kittens on the ice in the quarters.

For the record, I still think Salmela's hit was a borderline 5. To be honest, it was quite far away from the boards and G lost his balance really easily. He essentially waited until Salmela was sent to the showers before he got back up, completely unhurt.

But then again, with the reffing we saw in the game, I expected to see a game misconduct.

That was stupid, cowardly and totally unnescessary **** from Salmela, anyways. He has a history of producing that off ice, too. I wish he'll be banned for the rest of the tournament.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Ehhh, what? The only penalty on us that I thought was meh was that last one taken by Joensuu, all the rest were deserved and right calls. On the other hand, almost all of the penalties called against USA were meh (Pesonen dive being the worst) IMO.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I would say that this is the most surprising result of the tournament along with the US v Kazakhstan game.

Great bounce back game by the Americans. In a great position to finish second.

Finland man. I don't know what to say.

They might have to play Sweden in the quarterfinals!

I hope the US doesnt hit the dreaded let down game against the Swiss on Tuesday...

That game could have no meaning if the Swiss lose before that game and the US team could play it safe just trying to make it through without injuries...

I dont think the game means a ton for the US either as if we finish 2nd or 3rd we play the same team....but you never want to lose going into the QF...so I hope the US just plays hard and attacks like they did today

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
In my opinion Americans have been one of the strongest teams for the recent history of international games. They were unlucky to not close the deal in the previous olympics, but in the next olympics games they will be even stronger. The magic in a tournament hockey is to have players dedicated to the pride of playing for your nation and recently USA have presented that more than any country in international tournaments.

THerefore, this is pretty much what I was expecting for a Finland team with a mind-boggling number of the NHL players they have in the team

You guys have an amazing goalie in the NHL in Rinne. I think your goaltending has been subpar at times. Some of the goals scored by the USA today should have been saves. With Rinne, you guys still have a chance to surprise in Sochi 2014. Cheer up. At the end of the day, this tournament means nothing. When it is best on best, you guys still have a very good team. Cheer up.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I'm sure they wont let Salmela play again vs USA and give him 2 game penalty for that. It would be justified penalty. Too bad for our team though, Salmela hasn't been too bad.

Requoter

Dec 15, 2006
Dallas
Inconsistency of Team USA this tourney makes me think whether sloppy plays against Belarus and Kazakhstan were not just American players conserving energy for Finland.

Diagonaali

Jan 8, 2009
Finland
I'm sure they wont let Salmela play again vs USA and give him 2 game penalty for that. It would be justified penalty. Too bad for our team though, Salmela hasn't been too bad.

After all the comments and the unsportsmanship he showed after winning the world championships, he should not be in a discussion to be in team Finland for some time. Meanwhile, our team discards players like Joni Pitkänen. Congratulations.

Grove

Mar 19, 2007
After all the comments and the unsportsmanship he showed after winning the world championships, he should not be in a discussion to be in team Finland for some time. Meanwhile, our team discards players like Joni Pitkänen. Congratulations.
Pitkänen has never shown interest in the world champs and he was not "discarded". He himself didn't want to come because of a yet another injury-riddled season and the fact that he has no contract at the moment.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
Salmonella will get his just deserts.

Anyway who was #6 for Finland? Lasch burned him bad late third. I didn't know Denis Wideman
is Finnish. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad