Euro: Group F: FRA vs. POR, GER vs. HUN, 6/23/2021

Who advances

• Total voters

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Finishing second in the group must be tempting...
The problem is how do you aim for 2nd if you're Germany? Everything's still reliant on the other game. Portugal also can't finish 2nd without a lot of help from the other game (a draw means they need Germany to lose, a win means they need Germany to win). I suppose France could play for a draw and probably end up 2nd (with a Germany win), but then you're on the razor's edge of finishing 3rd and meeting Belgium if Portugal scores late against you. I'd much rather finish 1st and face the Swiss than finish 3rd and face Belgium.

Reactions: Eisen

HostileCapSpace

Jul 1, 2019
Montreal
The problem is how do you aim for 2nd without risking everything if you're Germany? Portugal also can't finish 2nd without a lot of help from the other game (a draw means they need Germany to lose, a win means they need Germany to win). I suppose France could play for a draw and probably end up 2nd (with a Germany win), but then you're on the razor's edge of finishing 3rd if Portugal scores late against you.

I know. Was just an observation. Realistically teams won't be looking for this. Maybe France late game if things are tied will be happy with just running down the clock, but that's it. Germany has to aim for a win.

Edit: Third place is definitely the worst - you face Belgium and then if you win potentially Italy.

Last edited:

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
So the good news for Portugal is that they will now only be eliminated if they lose by 4 or more (assuming they finish 3rd)

The bad news is they will play Belgium and end up on the more difficult side of the bracket.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
So the good news for Portugal is that they will now only be eliminated if they lose by 4 or more (assuming they finish 3rd)

The bad news is they will play Belgium and end up on the more difficult side of the bracket.

Belgium have looked pretty mortal thus far though. Maybe not the worst thing.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Belgium have looked pretty mortal thus far though. Maybe not the worst thing.

Yeah but that path to the semi-finals is way more difficult. Belgium then most likely Italy vs Netherlands then Denmark/Wales.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
You forget what it's like with full fans, then you see that. Kind of hoping for a Portugal win here to make things more chaotic.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Everyone: hey why don't you play a full back at full back especially given that Pavard is out

Didier Deschamps:

z50xp-1619719725-16226-list_items-no.jpg

Reactions: luiginb and Blender

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Not bothering to change any of the three players on a yellow is peak Low.
I can't really fault him for that. Kimmich is our best player, Havertz needs to be allowed to build on his strong game against Portugal, and Ginter is our best defensive player in the back. Swapping Süle for Ginter would really be the only swap I'd have made to the starting lineup due to yellows.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Portugal is really trying to kill the tempo here because they have a few older players. Not sure that's a good idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad