Euro: Group F: FRA vs. POR, GER vs. HUN, 6/23/2021

Who advances

• Total voters

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
So Portugal can advance with a draw? If so, not much of a point in trying to open up against France or they'll probably get butchered on the counter, and playing catchup against the French is the longest of longshots.

If Scotland-Croatia draw, then Portugal are through no matter what. If that match has a winner, then I think Portugal is through with just a 1-goal loss.

The incentive to come 1st is that the winner of this group gets to play Switzerland or Ukraine in the round of 16, while 2nd place gets England (if they beat the Czechs today), and third place gets either the Dutch or Belgians.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Gundogan & Kroos are likely to be available, but it's looking like Müller & Hummels will miss the Hungary match.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
If Scotland-Croatia draw, then Portugal are through no matter what. If that match has a winner, then I think Portugal is through with just a 1-goal loss.

The incentive to come 1st is that the winner of this group gets to play Switzerland or Ukraine in the round of 16, while 2nd place gets England (if they beat the Czechs today), and third place gets either the Dutch or Belgians.

Portugal is through no matter what as long as they don't lose by 3+ goals and Hungary doesn't win, no other results matter. All they need to do is have a better record than Ukraine and Finland if they finish third in the group.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Portugal is through no matter what as long as they don't lose by 3+ goals and Hungary doesn't win, no other results matter. All they need to do is have a better record than Ukraine and Finland if they finish third in the group.
Wouldn't a 3 goal loss be enough to drop you behind Ukraine? They're at 3pts & -1.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Müller probably won't start, but Hummels is fit again. Come on Jogi, you know you wanna try it:

Gnabry - Havertz
Gosens - Gundogan - Goretzka - Hofmann
Kimmich
Rüdiger - Hummels - Ginter
Neuer​

Last edited:

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY

It would be bizarre, but there's still a chance Portugal could finish 4th in the group. Basically if Hungary beats Germany and France beats Portugal, Portugal is eliminated no matter what the goal differentials are due to a H2H loss to Germany.

As long as Germany gets a result, as others have said it would take a 3 goal loss for Portugal to fall behind the Ukraine.....although they could still sneak in if Spain loses to Slovakia and Poland doesn't win.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Santos knows they're through with a 0-0 draw, that's like putting a fresh piece of filet mignon in front of a stray dog that hasn't eaten in a week.

Deschamps will do Deschamps things, dress 4 cente- backs, put a #6 on the right side of midfield, two defensive midfielders, etc.

HostileCapSpace

Jul 1, 2019
Montreal
It could happen if Hungary manages to take the lead against Germany and France takes the lead. Portugal would be forced to open up and then the French counterattack could do some damage. But it's not likely.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Hummels & Ilkay are also questionable after missing training yesterday. Kroos had a light training, but Hofmann returned to practice.

If all of Müller, Hummels & Gundogan miss this match, I'm hoping for:

Gnabry
Sane/Musiala - Havertz
Gosens - Kimmich/Kroos - Goretzka - Kimmich/Hofmann
Rüdiger - Süle - Ginter
Neuer

Gnabry - Havertz
Gosens - Kroos - Goretzka - Hofmann
Kimmich
Rüdiger - Süle - Ginter
Neuer​

Do you think Hofmaan is gonna leave Mönchengladbach?

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Mourinho says Portugal has played their first two group games with 10 men on the pitch, given Bruno Fernandes’ ghost like performances.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Do you think Hofmaan is gonna leave Mönchengladbach?

This summer? No, eventually? Maybe? I have a ton of respect for the player Hofmann has turned himself into, but I don't think he has the technical quality to play in the front 3 of a club that's significantly better...despite his incredible pressing, off-ball runs, and how effective his final balls have been this season.

Maybe if BMG played a back 3 full-time, so he was seen as a Wingback rather than a winger/box-to-boxer, he'd be a potentially hot target...but at his age, I think he's going to follow in the footsteps of Kramer/Stindl.

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
I think there's a larger percentage of us playing Holland in the Round of 16. Yet I think it's a big mistake to look too far ahead based on how we're playing, it doesn't matter if we're better on paper than Holland or even Belgium (though it's close in the latters case), and that their vulnerable defenses and lack of midfield balance with tons of available space suits us, we're playing poorly and look dreadful.

Need a huge match vs France where we show actual quality with a proper starting XI, then build on from that.

I mean, look at the positioning of both Danilo/William:
20210619-185352.jpg

E4RFa3MXMAAul_N.jpg

Shocking.

. Danilo should have dropped in between the Cb's, freeing one of them up to mark further outside which in turn pushes the fullback onto the opposing teams wingback, which is how you play vs a 3-5-2.

Santos came out yesterday and said that was his initial plan, and it got "lost in translation". Which screams to me he's attempting to cover his ass after the fact. Still no explanation in regards to how he set us up to not even pressure them and allow them to pick passes at leisure through our final third?

Semedo isn't great, he plays far too narrow defensively and should have adjusted his positioning after the first 15 minutes where any profesional should see whats happening when being over loaded, teammates should have spotted it as well. Yet a lot of this rests on Santos getting eviscerated tactically and the DM's not covering the spaces they should have been.

Danilo isn't the player he was after blowing his achilles, no where near as quick or mobile, which is a shame because he was a beast defensively who covered every blade of grass on the pitch. And William doesn't even dribble out of the press or circulate play the way he used to a few years back, he's done. Or at the very least needs a lot more consistent playing time at a high level to recapture his form and confidence.

Changes need to be made, energy and hunger need to be injected in the XI. Felix, Nuno Mendes ( if it), Sanches, and I'd risk throwing Palhinha in there. Unseasoned, no experience, but he's an absolute tank and dog who covers km's on the field and wins tons of 50/50 balls. Useless on the ball but with Felix/Bruno Fernandes/Bernardo Silva/Sanches he just needs to keep it moving while covering the backline. We might still lose because France is a fantastic team, but if we do we need to make it close and show a lot of what we can play as well.

Danilo and William slow the game down to much for Fernandes and B. Silva. They play the same defensive midfield style which slows down the forward pushing midfielders. Take out Danilo for Rafa Silva and let the players play. They have the horses let them run

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Danilo and William slow the game down to much for Fernandes and B. Silva. They play the same defensive midfield style which slows down the forward pushing midfielders. Take out Danilo for Rafa Silva and let the players play. They have the horses let them run

No one should be taken out for Rafa Silva.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Portugal's buffer has expanded to 4 goals (assuming Hungary doesn't beat Germany) based on the early games :laugh:

:EDIT: As I say this Poland is one goal away from turning everything on it's head again

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad