GDT: Group B - May 9 - Finland vs Denmark

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Well. The material difference is there. There are rarely games where a superior team plays their best and the opposition which is 1-3 leagues lower in skill level makes the game close by their own regard. Seriously. Think how weird that sounds as a concept. Now it's a completely different discussion if the argument is that do lesser teams compete with better teams?

Then the answer is yes. It does happen. But not a lot of time is it to the credit of the lesser team since you know, they most likely did not control the puck or were the more active side in the play. The lesser team always defends like crazy because defending is a hell of a lot easier than being on the attack when your team is slower. I would know, I've watched a lot of games where Finns were the lesser team and played exactly like I described. And it was all due to being less skilled and less talented.

And it's not like I'm reaching when I'm expecting 4 or more goals for the Finns. Not really seeing why you must be so against a concept of talent difference.
That was in no way what I asked:huh:

All the Danish players are 1-3 leagues below the finns, I see I am learning alot today.

Btw, I still agree that Finland is the superior team, and that they will win.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Should be a lot closer than the other games. Denmark has a couple of quality players at least now with Boedker and Hansen. I thought Norway was going to make it tighter yesterday, but they didn't. Pretty sure we don't win this one by 7 goals.

Stay out of the box and this game should favor Finland.

Reactions: Eidyia

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Confirmed FIN lineup.

Husso (Säteri)

Heiskanen - Pokka
Nutivaara - Koivisto
Kivistö - Honka
Riikola

Kapanen - Granlund - Rantanen
Savinainen - Aho - Teräväinen
Manninen - Suomela - Palola
Mäenalanen - Pesonen - Anttila
Jormakka

Also, to whoever updating the OP: please fix Mäenalanen's number. It's #18, not #82.

Reactions: stv11

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
The difference between playing in the NHL and the WC is huge..

Dahm is an avg. Euro goalie at best, Andersen is an above avg. NHL starter.

Mayb if Dahm was a below to avg. regular NHL backup your point would be valid.
Look up Dahm's stats. He averages about 92% in World Champs. Is Andersen going to save 100% of the shots? No? Well, stop talking nonsense in that case.

Legend Leinonen

Apr 8, 2016
Finland
Look up Dahm's stats. He averages about 92% in World Champs. Is Andersen going to save 100% of the shots? No? Well, stop talking nonsense in that case.

I think it's pretty useless to talk about averages here. Thing about goalies is, that they can steal a game if they have one of those magic nights.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

AutisticGoat

Mar 9, 2018
I think its going to be tough, maybe 17-2 to finns. Canada can maybe challange team Winland. Maybe they get even as close as 5-2 or 5-1. But mcdavid should be proud because he gets to play against generational supertalent Aho.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
As did you my friend:popcorn:

I guess that makes us both idiots.

Well, in the end we all can be quite pleased and happy that Nikolaj, Heinz' son, Ehlers, is not showcasing his talent in this Team Denmark. Good for the Finns, good for the status quo of the international ice hockey relations, good for the general Finnish mood going forward , also good for the gross domestic product since upsets in hockey can take a heavy toll in Finland's national productivity having by the same token severe ramifications and repercussions in the mental health of certain unspecified labour sections of the people. All in all, these things weight more in the scale than the minor issue the show thus lacks one of its star performers on his home field. - In summary: Good for the established hockey relations, good for the Finns, good all good for the common cause of good, expect for the show and the Danes and marketing.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Denmark is clearly the best team we've faced so far, especially with the addition of Hansen and Bödker. Still, given how well Finland have been playing, I'm very much expecting a win. Denmark are beginning to have some pretty good rosters so it will be interesting to see when they'll have a breakthrough tournament, kind of like Switzerland had some years back when they reached the final.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Lol at some fellow finnish fans thinking this will be easy win. I made a large bet on Finland losing, I get a nice chunk of money when Denmark wins by more than two goals.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Denmark is clearly the best team we've faced so far, especially with the addition of Hansen and Bödker. Still, given how well Finland have been playing, I'm very much expecting a win. Denmark are beginning to have some pretty good rosters so it will be interesting to see when they'll have a breakthrough tournament, kind of like Switzerland had some years back when they reached the final.

After that Suisse Sensation France and Germany have also had these "breakthrough tournaments". So, while having "such", more or less remarkable and unexpected success in a single knockout tournament is no measure of anything other measures wouldn't be more informative it sure is about time for Denmark to "break through" like this as well, and what would be more fitting than to do it before their home crowd. It is admittedly interesting to see if and when this localized and temporary success story materializes in front of our very eyes full of disbelief and amusement.

Last edited:

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I dont believe for 2 seconds that if a
Andersen was in net for the entirety of the Can game, it would only be be reduced to 6-1.

100% is also 8%more, dont be hyperbolic, and do not negate the fact 1-3% is very important.

I belive averages in this case, cross leagues and platforms, is way too black and white to be any indication at all.

Btw statistics are a major part of my job, I think I have a pretty good grasp on them:)

I dont believe Dahm has faced as good a Finland team as Andy is tonight, and we all saw how he fared against a very strong Canada team. 92% in the wc is by no means going to translate into 92% in the NHL.

The only nonsense is that Andersen isnt a severe upgrade over Dahm.

Anyway, iv'e been down this road with you before, I know where it ends, agree to disagree :)

Here is hoping Denmark don't get run over, and instead loose respectively.

Sure wouldn't be the first time a Danish team has collapsed on homeice - So I am not sure of anything. Might loose 8-1, might loose 5-3.

Last edited:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Lol at some fellow finnish fans thinking this will be easy win. I made a large bet on Finland losing, I get a nice chunk of money when Denmark wins by more than two goals.
I bet you vcash that your bet is off

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Let me know how much you lose when the game is over.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011

Cashout is always a viable option.

ThaiTanicDK

Oct 26, 2016
People who thinks FIN is gonna win this by 4 goals are absolutely insane. Yes Finland have 1½ scary line, but Denmark has two NHL calibre lines too now and the other two lines can on a decent day play equally well. Especially with the addition of two NHL players from Denmark.

Finland has played nothing but teams with 1 or two NHL players so far in the tournament and all the sudden they are an amazing team?

I hope Regin does this again to shut the fins up.

Stop drinking so much.

Last edited:

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
People who thinks FIN is gonna win this by 4 goals are absolutely insane. Yes Finland have 1½ scary line, but Denmark has two NHL calibre lines too now and the other two lines can on a decent day play equally well. Especially with the addition of two NHL players from Denmark.

Finland has played nothing but teams with 1 or two NHL players so far in the tournament and all the sudden they are an amazing team?

I hope Regin does this again to shut the fins up.

Stop drinking so much.
Your country is of no match to the Finnish steamroller. Quit daydreaming :sarcasm:.

Reactions: ThaiTanicDK

Razamanaz

Oct 22, 2017
Northern Hemisphere.
As you know Finlands second-line kickstarted this tournament - then came the second wave in the shape of Finland first-line powerhouse. So the kids are just alright and delivering the goods!

And the big bad buffalos o' the fourth-line (Mäenalanen, Anttila) are stampeding around on the thin ice of The Box in Herning and making/wreaking havoc - supported by the ol' Great White Buffalo himself (Pesonen) in the middle. Good stuff.

Me, myself and I even have no probs with Finlands defense-corps and goaltenders; rather the other way around - just two goals dropped is just excellent me thinx!

No, the child of sorrow for Finland have been the third-line. They seem to be ... well, pissin' against the wind this far. Pretty much about time to rattle the battleship chains, boys!
Could well happen with the castling of: Palola in - Jormakka out. He may inject some venom in that line.

By the way; even the Finland supporters seems to have fun and games on the altars of madness in The Box over there in Denmark!

finlands-supporters-celebrate-during-the-group-b-match-latvia-vs-of-picture-id955395446

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad