GDT: Group B • Dec. 31 • Russia 1, Canada 4 • Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Startseva

Dec 30, 2012
Moscow
Sad that one penal made the game. :cry: That's why not sad. Hope to see you in the final. :laugh:

P. S. In Moscow in 3 hours 2013. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
NO, not even close. No player is dumb enough to send the razor blades on their feet flinging back to try and hit someone. No player is trying to kill another player out there. **** happens, it was not on purpose, stop making Canadian fans look back with this post

I hope you are right and I am wrong. But this is something I am observing not with any single nationality, but with all of them. Therefore, please don't say I am making Canadian fans look bad. There is nothing "Canadian" about my observations. It is a hockey observation. I say this out of concern for all players of every nation. There is a lack of care taken with the balance leg in recent years.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
TSN didn't have to say it. Anyone with eyes saw that, and they would've also seen the guy avoid a shoulder-to-shoulder hit, and pivot to hit Wotherspoon in the numbers.

He had a cut near his side burn (not from skate) and his cheek was pretty bruised (also not from skate).

BloodOnIce

Dec 10, 2006
Canada
Canada was the better team but shots are irrelevant when comparing the playing styles. Russia only takes high percentage shots and is out shot nearly every game, while Canada throws everything at the net.

Pretty sure Canada's on top of the shooting % bub.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
TSN just said that Wotherspoon was cut by a skate, not by a hit by Nichushkin, so this 5 minute penalty was a total joke considering it was assessed as a 2 minute penalty originally.

he missed the rest of the period. There are other injures besides drawing blood you know :shakehead

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Sad that one penal made the game. :cry: That's why not sad. Hope to see you in the final. :laugh:

P. S. In Moscow in 3 hours 2013. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

HAPPY NEW YEARS!

Man, all we can ask for is a Canada-Russia rematch in the finals.

Anything else would be a bit of a let down.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
How high exactly do you know?

Hi Bure, I don't have stats but I do know that a number of players have sustained broken necks or spines that have left them paralyzed for life.

Fortunately it hasn't happened often.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I hope you are right and I am wrong. But this is something I am observing not with any single nationality, but with all of them. Therefore, please don't say I am making Canadian fans look bad. There is nothing "Canadian" about my observations. It is a hockey observation. I say this out of concern for all players of every nation. There is a lack of care taken with the balance leg in recent years.

OK I take the Canadian thing back, but you are way off base in concept.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
HAPPY NEW YEARS!

Man, all we can ask for is a Canada-Russia rematch in the finals.

Anything else would be a bit of a let down.

I'm rooting for Canada-Switzerland finals. We disposed of Russia farily easily today...I want a team that will give us a bit of a challenge. Switzerland has looked very good this tournament, but just couldn't quite finish a couple games or else they would be on top of their division.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Wotherspoon was definitely cut by the skate. He was on the bench getting a cut attended to before the hiut from behind occured.

That said, the hit from behind is a major whether he is injured or not.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Nichushkin was given 2 minute but then based on Wotherspoon bleeding the refs decided to change to 5 minute. TSN even showed 2 minute penalty on the screen, that means the ruling was given by the ref at the time.

Bure

Jan 3, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
Hi Bure, I don't have stats but I do know that a number of players have sustained broken necks or spines that have left them paralyzed for life.

I was just teasing you haha :p:

Happy new years guys, hope to see a Canada Russia final. Cheers.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Nichushkin was given 2 minute but then based on Wotherspoon bleeding the refs decided to change to 5 minute. TSN even showed 2 minute penalty on the screen, that means the ruling was given by the ref at the time.

Oh, so TSN makes the call and IIHF follows? Good to know. :laugh::laugh:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

And Camara wasn't issued a penalty for a clean hit until the moment a stretcher was brought on to the ice. What's your point?

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
The Canadian player was hit on the numbers face first into the boards. That is a 5 min penalty anywhere in the world.

We will get proof when the Russian player gets suspended.

In both cases, the American ref made the call. He gave Nichushkin the major, while he gave MacKinnon a minor. Each team has a right to expect consistency, and that the same offense be penalized at the same level.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luděk_Čajka

:shakehead

Hitting from behind is, with today's safety equipment, pretty much the most dangerous body contact play in the sport today, maybe right alongside boarding. You don't hear people dying from hits like what Camara threw anymore since everyone wears helmets.

It's why it pisses me off to no end that the NHL and most pro leagues refuse to tackle it seriously like they do with fighting and other less dangerous events.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
OK I take the Canadian thing back, but you are way off base in concept.

Maybe, but I watch a LOT of junior hockey...and minor hockey, and just like there have been trends with sticks getting up in the 90's, checks from behind in the 80's, etc. (seen them all)...I do notice this trend, and it is not limited to international hockey or any age group.

People can facepalm all they want. It is just a theory. Just as once upon a time people said that no one would intentionally hit someone from behind to injure them, so it was not a penalty either.

I was at the Agridome the night Troy Edwards hit Brad Hornung. No one ever facepalmed a hit from behind after that night.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
In both cases, the American ref made the call. He gave Nichushkin the major, while he gave MacKinnon a minor. Each team has a right to expect consistency, and that the same offense be penalized at the same level.

They are not even close to the same, if you cannot see this, well then I don't even know what to say, removing your blinders might help.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
I really don't want to focus on Nichushkin situation, what's done is done. The penalty was a major factor since it resulted in two goals but Canada played better. Should be a good wake-up call for Russia.

Bure

Jan 3, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
So what Russia did 3 years ago has an affect on them being grossly outshot in this game? :laugh: :help: wow.

My point was using shots as an indicator of who dominated a game when Russia is one of the games is irrelevant. Scoring chances is a better indicator.

Canada had more scoring chances today and was the better team.

Langdon Alger*

It was fine with everyone when the refs declared Camara's hit clean, then changed their minds 30 seconds later and tossed him.

Frankly, if the same hit happens with the jerseys reversed, all these people here defending ol' Comrade Nichushkin would want Wotherspoon crucified at centre ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad