2011stats_zps9bb26fd9.jpg

2010stats_zpsfd4d7f8f.jpg

2009stats_zps6d44cd38.jpg

That's insane. :amazed:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The gold medal is what really matters. All other results and stats are for people who have nothing else to do.

Agreed. We are working our way towards one. Would be nice to beat other teams on the way though so there really is no "well if we would have played them..." doubts from anyone.

MadFlava

Sep 3, 2010
I would say Canada was outplayed at the beginning of the game, weathered the storm and got some key saves from Subban, then the major penalty on Russia changed the tide. Two pp goals, a back and forth second period, and a complete shut-down in the third was the rest of the story.

Canadian forechecking was the major difference. The puck was down low in the Russian end for a good portion of the game, whereas the Russians had no real sustained attack. Lots of flashy end-to-end rushes, but nothing sustained or "inside". Mostly stoppable, outside shots.

Man, the way Subban has been the difference maker the past two games you would have to start considering him for Team Canada and WJC MVP if he takes his team to the final. I was really impressed with how he stoned Team USA when they had momentum against Canada. Seems like he did again against Team Russia.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
High percentage shot=/=goal , my point still stands, russia is selective about their shots. Bub.

High percentage suggests there's a better chance at scoring. If Canada takes more low percentage shots and Russia takes more high percentage shots it would be expected that Russia would have a better shot percentage.

Brymas McCaberle

Dec 12, 2009
This is surreal.

When as Leafs fans we try to enjoy what little success the team can muster, we are told not to enjoy it.

When as Team Canada fan we try to enjoy consistently solid efforts and victories, we are told not to enjoy it.

One team sucks and one team is actually good - how the hell does this even work?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
This is surreal.

When as Leafs fans we try to enjoy what little success the team can muster, we are told not to enjoy it.

When as Team Canada fan we try to enjoy consistently solid efforts and victories, we are told not to enjoy it.

One team sucks and one team is actually good - how the hell does this even work?

Must be nice cheering for a good goalie :) Actually, Subban in the net reminds me a lot of a certain maligned NHL goalie. Very similar postures IMO.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
My hunch is that he missed the rest of the period to get stitched up and they used the hit as an opportunity to do so.

but when he got cut they didn't stitch him up then, therefore clearly if they used that time to stitch him up the hit from behind must have made the cut worse, not to mention the other injuries he suffered, nobody noticed the bruises on his face?

Also injury don't even matter, that was a terrible hit, deserved 5 and a game whether he got carried off on a stretcher, or if he got up thanked the russian and gave him a kiss, the hit was game misconduct worthy either way

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
Russia thought that it could dangle through a lockout bolstered Canadian roster.

The result was predictable.

Unless Russia develops some sort of team play, I doubt they will get past Sweden.

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg
Watching replay, weird that Scheif and Hamilton were passing back and forth a few times before Nuge fed Hamilton for the goal, yet only one assist. Doesn't matter at all, but it was pretty clear that there was a second assist to give out.. Oh well, IIHF is more stingy with 2nd assists.

Bure

Jan 3, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
High percentage suggests there's a better chance at scoring. If Canada takes more low percentage shots and Russia takes more high percentage shots it would be expected that Russia would have a better shot percentage.

Canada is better at putting the puck in the net then, just because Russia is selective about their shots doesn't mean that the shooting percentage is going to be higher. They can take 3 shots in a game and miss all of them.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Man, the way Subban has been the difference maker the past two games you would have to start considering him for Team Canada and WJC MVP if he takes his team to the final. I was really impressed with how he stoned Team USA when they had momentum against Canada. Seems like he did again against Team Russia.

He didn't really have to be as awesome today as he did vs the USA, but he made the key saves at the right times, as they say.

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
This is surreal.

It's the maple leaf. Outgrowth of everyone's most hated tree.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Canada is better at putting the puck in the net then, just because Russia is selective about their shots doesn't mean that the shooting percentage is going to be higher. They can take 3 shots in a game and miss all of them.

Then those are probably not high percentage shots. I think you're getting confused with the actual meaning of a high percentage shot.

Glad you admit Canada is better at scoring than Russia is though. I think we proved that today too :)

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
High percentage shot=/=goal , my point still stands, russia is selective about their shots. Bub.

I kind of get where you're coming from. The Oilers, last season, didn't get a lot of shots on goal but they scored on the few very good chances they had like on breakaways and stuff.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

so Canada is better at scoring while taking stupider shots? I guess that's why we beat you then :laugh:

Your argument makes no sense

BloodOnIce

Dec 10, 2006
Canada

So they're selectively shooting low percentage shots. Interesting strategy.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

So Canada is not only better, but plays a smarter game? You would think a team that isn't as good at scoring would want to shoot more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad