GDT: Group B • Dec. 31 • Russia 1, Canada 4 • Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I'll try to explain one more time. When you are flying in the air, you can't control your skate on the follow through. When you are approaching an opponent you have all the control in the world. As for Nichushkin hit: yeah, it was most certainly penalty-worthy, but the Canadian guy didn't bleed from that hit, it was from the cut before, so I don't think it warranted the game ejection. But hey, what happened -- happened, can't change it now.

Canadian players adjusted to the rules and Russians didn't. That goes pretty much across the board, especially wrt to the game plan.

He hit him on the numbers face first into the boards. Not only that but he came from the side, then went around behind to hit him in the numbers. There is nothing clean about that hit. 100% dirty and one of, if not, the worst of the 2013 World Jrs. Made Lipon look like a school girl.

Last edited by a moderator:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
He hit him on the numbers face first into the boards. Not only that but he came from the side, then went around behind to hit him in the numbers. There is nothing clean about that hit. 100% dirty and one of, if not, the worst of the 2013 World Jrs. Made Lipon look like a school girl.

Not a single Canadian complained about Lipon getting ejected for a dirty hit, so it would be nice to see less homerism from the Russian side regarding Nichushkin's hit. Even more embarrassing seeing people continue to justify Camara's ejection while defending Nichushkin. Quite hilarious actually.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I wholeheartedly concur with the former, it was the essence of my argument. Also, I would debate that the United States would be a much tougher game for both Canada and Russia in the semi finals compared to Sweden. Not only is there familiarity between the teams, the United States would be playing with a sense of reprisal stemming from near embarrassment from missing the medal round two consecutive years.

I can buy the familiarity argument. And I believe that the Americans seem to find a way to raise their level of play when they play us. But so many people are treating Sweden like a gimme game.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
TSN just said that Wotherspoon was cut by a skate, not by a hit by Nichushkin, so this 5 minute penalty was a total joke considering it was assessed as a 2 minute penalty originally.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Not a single Canadian complained about Lipon getting ejected for a dirty hit, so it would be nice to see less homerism from the Russian side regarding Nichushkin's hit. Even more embarrassing seeing people continue to justify Camara's ejection while defending Nichushkin. Quite hilarious actually.

Well, obviously, it doesn't matter the intent, it only matters if you were in control and if someone got injured. :shakehead :help:

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
TSN just said that Wotherspoon was cut by a skate, not by a hit by Nichushkin, so this 5 minute penalty was a total joke considering it was assessed as a 2 minute penalty originally.

He also didn't return until the 2nd period. He was hurt. I don't think the cut was the deciding factor.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Sentinel you just won't give it up. A hit from behind headfirst into the boards is potentially the most dangerous hit in hockey. The potential for long term injury or disability id very high.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Well considering Canada had a player tossed for a clean hit (that an official even said was a clean hit) I have no sympathy whatsoever. The Nichushkin hit was a very dangerous and dirty hit.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

Mikus wasn't bleeding, yet Lipon got what he deserved. Go figure.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind

who cares how he got cut

he was hit from behind face first into the boards

5 minutes was well warranted

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
I am going to say something a little controversial here, I know.

The whole skate in the face thing, while not exactly on purpose, is not an accident either. I see this from time to time when I am watching games, and there is a recent trend for players to fling their back skates up when taking a hit. I think a part of it is certainly momentum, but I also think more and more I am seeing guys purposely follow through and throw that balance leg up as high as they can.

I truly hope I am wrong, but as someone who watches hockey basically every day, I am noticing this happening more and more. not just with Russians, but with all players (in Canada, as well). It is obviously dangerous and probably won't get the public outcry it deserves until someone gets their throat cut.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012

He slammed Wotherspoon head-first into the boards. The only joke is the people still complaining about it.

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg

TSN didn't have to say it. Anyone with eyes saw that, and they would've also seen the guy avoid a shoulder-to-shoulder hit, and pivot to hit Wotherspoon in the numbers.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Well, obviously, it doesn't matter the intent, it only matters if you were in control and if someone got injured. :shakehead :help:

I think the logo on the front of the jersey is what matters to some people. That's probably the number 1 factor in determining penalty vs. no penalty, major vs. minor.

Gestalt

Nov 2, 2010
Sentinel you just won't give it up. A hit from behind headfirst into the boards is potentially the most dangerous hit in hockey. The potential for long term injury or disability id very high.

I know that's what is so sickening about it. There really should be a basic hockey IQ test required to be taken before posting on this forum to weed out those that think hitting from behind is an ok hockey play.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Wotherspoon got hit in the head with a skate. I'm surprised the Russian did not receive at the very least 2 and 10 for hitting to the head. Probably suspension worthy according to IIHF rules.

:sarcasm:

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

The whole skate in the face thing, while not exactly on purpose, is not an accident either. I see this from time to time when I am watching games, and there is a recent trend for players to fling their back skates up when taking a hit. I think a part of it is certainly momentum, but I also think more and more I am seeing guys purposely follow through and throw that balance leg up as high as they can.

I truly hope I am wrong, but as someone who watches hockey basically every day, I am noticing this happening more and more. not just with Russians, but with all players (in Canada, as well). It is obviously dangerous and probably won't get the public outcry it deserves until someone gets their throat cut.

NO, not even close. No player is dumb enough to send the razor blades on their feet flinging back to try and hit someone. No player is trying to kill another player out there. **** happens, it was not on purpose, stop making Canadian fans look back with this post

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009

Foolish post. Look up Alexandre Daigle's hit from almost 20 years ago. Same type of hit, and he got suspended if I remember right.

The IIHF has a very long tradition with its contempt for hits from behind.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.

The Canadian player was hit on the numbers face first into the boards. That is a 5 min penalty anywhere in the world.

We will get proof when the Russian player gets suspended.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Agreed, it's possible. I'm not saying in this instance it was intentional, but according to some any dangerous play that causes injury should be a 5 minute and a game misconduct. That's how some justify the Camara ejection for a clean hit. But it's hilarious how inconsistent they are when their own standards work against their team.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
I think the logo on the front of the jersey is what matters to some people. That's probably the number 1 factor in determining penalty vs. no penalty, major vs. minor.

Agreed. We'd be kidding ourselves to believe it's limited to international hockey, though. Most fans think their team and the players on it can do no wrong and everyone who plays their team only does wrong.

It sucks, but I guess that's why they call us "fanatics". :laugh:

I was quite happy to see how many Canadians quickly agreed that Lipon's play was extremely stupid, even if the 5 minute major was undeserved.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007

Why on earth would a scratch on the cheek be the deciding factor behind a major and a minor? This isn't a double for high sticking, blood has nothing to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad