GDT: Group B • Dec. 31 • Canada 5, Sweden 6 (SO) • Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meganuck*

Cry me a river. Canada was blown out. Some lucky goals kept Canada in the game late. But Sweden pulled it out anyways. SWEDEN!!!
While you're right about lucky goals, you dont think Sweden got some lucky ones as well/

They did definately carry the play.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Canada historically has been better, but Canada focuses their top athletic talent on hockey while the US has it fourth on the totem pole. The US can field a top level team in several sports and is slowly growing the talent to challenge Canada at hockey while maintaining their dominance in many other leagues. The fact that the US can even compete with Canada let alone win when our nation puts so little focus on the sport should say something.

To be fair canada does focous on lacrosse and rugby and are paying more attention to soccer.

The Big Swede*

Canada historically has been better, but Canada focuses their top athletic talent on hockey while the US has it fourth on the totem pole. The US can field a top level team in several sports and is slowly growing the talent to challenge Canada at hockey while maintaining their dominance in many other leagues. The fact that the US can even compete with Canada let alone win when our nation puts so little focus on the sport should say something.

USA has twice as many people to choose from!

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
We haven't had good goaltending since Price. Hope that changes next year. It's a problem, but the strong teams usually help hide the deficiency. For a guy who should be used to shootouts by now, that was some poor coverage. Roy played the low shots and still got beat.

Mason was good as well. Allen was as bad as Roy but thankfully one tournament doesn't tell the whole story about a player.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Have people not yet realized that marty 4 hart (and his other account lindros something something) is a bonafide troll? Stop responding to him everyone.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
In that case I guess the WJC group stage means something, considering both Sweden and Canada made the playoffs.

Absolutely.

But at this point in the tournament, no one is going home.

So the result, while nice for Sweden to get a bye, is irrelevant at this point in time.

Whoever beats Canada from now on in, will get my full respect, because they've kicked Canada out of the tournament.

Just like Russia in 2006, or the Czech Republic in 1998, or the US in 1996, or the Soviet Union in 1981, at the men's elite level.

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
All in all,winning this tournament doesn`t matter too much. It´s just exhibition tournament for the kids and a chance to showcase their skills. Olympics are the real thing.

BruceOp

Dec 8, 2004
Well, i believe in every culture, except in Canada when Canada lose.

A question? Why play 82 games that means nothing? What a life. 82 worthless games and then you might be out in four "real" games.

This is sport. What Schenn, and myself, mean is...The round robin determines positioning, very important for your road to the gold medal match. Even in the NHL, 82 regular season games are played to determine who makes the playoffs. But when the season/tournament is on the line, and teams put their best foot forward, that is what these tournaments are about. I would have been as happy as you are if Canada had won, but I would be far happier with a win in the medal round (not sure about you). Didn't really think it was that complicated, but I'll gladly explain things for you when you don't understand them. Cheers! :handclap:

marty 4 hart*

This game wasnt important anyway. Let Sweden celebrate. Canada is still number on. And we will win. Again.

Meganuck*

You also forget about how much money is pumped into the US hockey program from the NHL because of how sad it was in the 90s.

Scottrockztheworld*

All in all,winning this tournament doesn`t matter too much. It´s just exhibition tournament for the kids and a chance to showcase their skills. Olympics are the real thing.

Maybe to you! Canada and their fans takes this very serious.

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden
Its a Canadian game. All the best players in the world are from Canada. Canada usually win the gold. Canada is the best. Not the US, not Sweden, not Russia. Canada is the best. And we will win the gold. We always do.

Hockey has its origin in England. But i will give you that hockey developed in to the sport is today in Canada.

Stoneberg

Bored
Nov 10, 2005
Halifax
Obviously Canada has to win to prove whether or not it's the best team at this tournament, but anyone arguing against them having the best crop of players under the age of twenty is out to lunch. The tournament would die off quickly if Canada didn't have so many good players in the NHL because it would be Grand Forks every year with no other team touching us. It's much more exciting this way, so I don't think it's worth complaining about.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Have people not yet realized that marty 4 hart (and his other account lindros something something) is a bonafide troll? Stop responding to him everyone.

I'm pretty sure he's the same person as Lindros for rizzle - multiple accounts.

oilerfanatic

Oct 12, 2005
Siberia

what leagues? does basketball have anything else other than the olympics on an international scope? Does the US win anything in baseball internationally? what about football? are these sports even played at an international level? The US is not all that good in soccer either.

what about rugby or even cricket that are played on an international level? does the US excel there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad