GDT: Group B • Dec. 31 • Canada 5, Sweden 6 (SO) • Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levizk

Feb 12, 2007
Monroeville, PA
You also forget about how much money is pumped into the US hockey program from the NHL because of how sad it was in the 90s.

The NHL pumping that money in goes directly to the fact that the sport is 4th on the totem pole. The NHL needs customers, to get those customers they need to make them care about the sport. The best way to do that is to get people playing it which isn't cheap as everyone knows.

Kamal007

FEEL LIKE PABLO
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto
Canada historically has been better, but Canada focuses their top athletic talent on hockey while the US has it fourth on the totem pole. The US can field a top level team in several sports and is slowly growing the talent to challenge Canada at hockey while maintaining their dominance in many other leagues. The fact that the US can even compete with Canada let alone win when our nation puts so little focus on the sport should say something.

Canada= Country of 30 million people
USA= Country of 300 million people

dr-nix

Beware of the Bunny!
Feb 7, 2005
I was surprised to see Sweden win this one. Sure Sweden was the better team (only the most extreme Canadian homer would disagree with the fact that Sweden overall was the better team today). But i'm the first to admit that the goals on the scoreboard is the only thing that counts and Lehner had an awful game (he admitted as much in the post-game interview, well he was better in the second half of the game).

Lehner can't have a weak game like that again in this tournament (if Sweden wants any chance at the gold), it's like Canada is Swedish goalies kryptonite when it comes to the WJCs.

Denny47

Dec 27, 2010
Ottawa
Robin Lehner is too good, that'll be the difference come semis time...
can't wait for him to crack the sens :nod:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Yea for the 2nd time in the preliminary round in.... what did they say 30 games?

USA - 1 Gold Medal since 2005

Canada - 5 Gold Medals since 2005

You decide who is the best nation.

Canada is #1 at producing quality players. You need to take into account that they play at home every other year. Buffalo is about an hour from Toronto, so that is almost like playing in Canada. You get a big home field advantage, especially from the hockey mad fans of Canada. Maybe if more WJCs were in Europe, you wouldn't have 5, maybe 3 instead.

Meganuck*

The NHL pumping that money in goes directly to the fact that the sport is 4th on the totem pole. The NHL needs customers, to get those customers they need to make them care about the sport. The best way to do that is to get people playing it which isn't cheap as everyone knows.
Essentially because nobody was going to watch or cheer for a team that isnt good enough to compete. The NHL decided to help out a program that wasnt producing many NHL players and was also producing subpar teams for international competition.

Scottrockztheworld*

Which do you think matters most? Olympics or this tournament?

NHL
Olympics
World Juniors

but that doesn't mean we don't take the WJC very seriously, we ALWAYS want to be #1 at hockey.

Meganuck*

LOL. they're showing the Crosby goal in different languages on TSN right now. The Spain commentators were easily the worst.

BlackAces*

The Americans in this thread are hilarious. I can't wait until we play them and 75% of the building is cheering for Canada.

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden
This is sport. What Schenn, and myself, mean is...The round robin determines positioning, very important for your road to the gold medal match. Even in the NHL, 82 regular season games are played to determine who makes the playoffs. But when the season/tournament is on the line, and teams put their best foot forward, that is what these tournaments are about. I would have been as happy as you are if Canada had won, but I would be far happier with a win in the medal round (not sure about you). Didn't really think it was that complicated, but I'll gladly explain things for you when you don't understand them. Cheers! :handclap:

Oh such knowledge. You have to be Canadian right? :sarcasm:

But if the real tounament starts now, a game that lets you skip the quarters straight in to the semis has to be worths something?

Wait! I got the answer to that:
Naaah, Canada lost so it doesnt matter.

timmeh

Nov 8, 2009
Actually you're wrong.

Group games are group games.

Elimination games are elimination games.

We've lost to Norway in the World Championships in the group stages.

They mean nothing provided you are still moving on in the tournament.

See, if Canada had won this game you'd say "OMG Canada won a group game CANADA IS AWESOME EVERYONE ELSE SHOULD STOP PLAYING HOCKEY CAUSE THEY SUCK SO BAD!"

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Canada is #1 at producing quality players. You need to take into account that they play at home every other year. Buffalo is about an hour from Toronto, so that is almost like playing in Canada. You get a big home field advantage, especially from the hockey mad fans of Canada. Maybe if more WJCs were in Europe, you wouldn't have 5, maybe 3 instead.

What a load...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille