GDT: Group B • Dec. 30 • United States 2, Czech Republic 5 (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I think they're done regardless, unless Denmark beats Finland.

Aye buddy,

No... the Fins need 6 points to eliminate the Americans - you get 3 points for a regulation win.

The Fins have 3 now. If they win tonight in regulation, they have the 6 needed.

If they lose tonight or win in OT, they will need to get to 6 while playing the Czechs;

OR!!!

The Canada US game becomes a factor.

DIrwin

Sep 25, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
Everyone takes everything so personally lol, to people replying to my comments about American debt, military, and everything I put little to no effort into that. It wasn't meant to be "smart" I never claimed to be an academic. I simply put as much thought and effort into that comment as that other American did with his, nothing he said had anything to do with hockey aside from "catching up to us in hockey." Just saying it's pathetic to have my country belittled because you got taunted over a hockey game. Wow it's hockey, so in return you go on to bash our entire country and it's worth. It's things like this that earn America it's reputation around the world.

FanHabtic*

Also the Czechs looked big against the Yanks and were throwing all kinds of huge hits. Against Canada they looked timid and scared.

dmacgreg37

Dec 11, 2007
British Columbia
Honestly i don't understand the celebration by the Czech players and Mrazek. Beating the Americans is no great feat. Its not like Miracle on Ice. The US team was just not that good at all in this tournament. An average team at best.

The Czechs were heavy underdogs, seeing as they figured 7th the past 2 years and were soundly beaten by Canada. The US on the other hand is coming off back-to-back medals and was expected to compete again.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
They just beat one of the best teams in the world, they deserve to be able to celebrate a bit crazily, no?

You talking about the same team that lost 4- 1 to Finland? Anyway this setsup a poor newyears eve game, sure the teams would like to beat each other but Canada is not going to go to the wall and risk injury or fatigue. Probably use the game as a tuneup. U S should be pretty down as well. Tomorrows game means nothing.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Honestly, I'm still not okay with Mrazek's showboating. There's no need for it.

It's only really showboating if it's with the intent of rubbing it in. I don't see how you can fault teenagers for celebrating out of sheer excitement. Mrazek's an extremely competitive goalie, always has been. He's just pumped.

TeamCanadaBeastsAll

Sep 26, 2011
Not sure why Americans are so upset over Canadians cheering for the Czechs. It's nothing personal, it just works in Canada's best interest for the tournament.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The only hope USA has is if Denmark beats Finland. Tomorrows game means nothing. I'd be surprised if Canada risked injury or fatiguing a player to win a meaningless game.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
It is wrong to say, but there is a sliver of truth to the part that we have gotten a bit better and challenged a few times, and i guess that irked many Cdns because i don't see sportsmanship, i see Hate on the fans for the American team. Generally i vote for the Americans, Canadians to keep it in North America. Watching the games here for the past several years, it seems some Canadians hate Americans and it spills over onto the sport of hockey. The same hate isn't reciprocated at all on the American side besides a few whackjobs here and there.

I could say the exact same thing back at you and it would describe my feelings. But I would not trash the US as a nation. I know some people on here will, but to me that's garbage either way. It's a game. Just know most of us are not whackjobs either. :)

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
great game. the turning points were the US PP and that PS in the 3rd that Mrazek stopped. Congrats to the Czechs, but c'mon the celebrations were way over the top. this isn't European footie - and before i get jumped on by fellow Canadians, you know you would've been pissed if it was done against us. i get it, big upset, they were happy.

as for the US, i'm kind of shocked but they didn't gel quick enough and i think the game vs. the Finns began to sow the seeds of doubt. still a great program with a great 2 year run. They will be back
'

No I wouldnt care all actually, any team that beats us deserves to celebrate like there is no tomorrow. Highest stage for some of these kids and beating a (supposed) powerhouse and you're mad how they reacted? I'm sorry, I'd be more pissed at my team than at the kids celebrating their win. :laugh:

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I was one of the few Canadians cheering for the US. Talent wise the US has one of the better teams in the tournament (IMO) BUT what they didn't have is team chemistry. Sometimes you have it, sometimes you don't.

Even though they badly out shot the Czechs, a lot of them were perimeter shots and they didn't drive to the net as much as I thought they would, after what happened in the Finland game.

We Canadians have seen our own teams play this way in the past. Could be they were too confident or who knows.

The Czech goalie won this game. Had he been just average the US would have won.

I won't get into the selection process, only to say next year I expect changes.

And to this pissed off at PaulieVegas or any other American poster, understand where they're coming from. They're proud Americans who love the game of hockey. They're pissed off and rightfully so. In similar circumstances we'd be just as mad (and we have been in the past)

The American team has NOTHING to be ashamed of.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
the yanks looked small then i heard David 'blais' Letterman picked 6 guys under 6 feet at forward. is that correct? that's not a team designed to score dirty goals in high traffic areas - or win lots of puck battles

Coyle barely playing didn't help, don't know what the issue was, but he was pretty much stapled to the bench today. I don't have a problem of the size of the guys, it has much more to do with how they are actually playing. After all Datsyuk is sub six foot. Plenty of guys make impacts in hockey that aren't massive

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Can I hear some more about USA hockey system. Refs gave them 7-9PP and a penalty shot. Did not help. :( So sad.

Yes...

EVERY year we hear about how good Team USA is. EVERY YEAR!!!! And other than 2010 they are average.

Next year, as the tournament approaches, I hope a little modesty is in order.

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
I was one of the few Canadians cheering for the US. Talent wise the US has one of the better teams in the tournament (IMO) BUT what they didn't have is team chemistry. Sometimes you have it, sometimes you don't.

Even though they badly out shot the Czechs, a lot of them were perimeter shots and they didn't drive to the net as much as I thought they would, after what happened in the Finland game.

We Canadians have seen our own teams play this way in the past. Could be they were too confident or who knows.

The Czech goalie won this game. Had he been just average the US would have won.

I won't get into the selection process, only to say next year I expect changes.

And to this pissed off at PaulieVegas or any other American poster, understand where they're coming from. They're proud Americans who love the game of hockey. They're pissed off and rightfully so. In similar circumstances we'd be just as mad (and we have been in the past)

The American team has NOTHING to be ashamed of.

They lost by a combined score of 9-4 against Czech Republic and Finland. That's plenty to be ashamed off, they're awful.

Not a sliver of offensive talent among them except for Coyle. Bjugstad continues to be a massive disappointment, the defense hasn't a sliver of puck moving ability, and Etem reminds me of a poor mans Afinogenov.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Coyle barely playing didn't help, don't know what the issue was, but he was pretty much stapled to the bench today. I don't have a problem of the size of the guys, it has much more to do with how they are actually playing. After all Datsyuk is sub six foot. Plenty of guys make impacts in hockey that aren't massive

Anybody know the extent of his injury?

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Honestly, I'm still not okay with Mrazek's showboating. There's no need for it.

You're right... its not like they virtually knocked out a hockey powerhouse or anything like that giving them a better chance at a medal. :laugh: Or you know, they realize that they have no chance at a medal but are celebrating their accomplishment in the tournament (a great one at that). What do you want them to do... act like they've been there before (FYI; they havent) :laugh:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
the Czechs qualified for the medal round with this win but one of the huge benefactors is Finland. They thought they'd probably have to beat the czechs to get in, and now they just have to beat Denmark:laugh:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
I hate to say it, but as a fan of the WJC's for over 20 years, I have seen this happen before. Sometimes a great team on paper just can't get it together. Then they start to feel pressure, and the next thing you know they are overrun by an avalanche of emotion and a hot goalie.

This is not a new script. It has happened before and it will happen again. To the US and Canada.

All my fellow Canucks gloating right now...take a deep breath and remember karma...she's a female dog.

FanHabtic*

They lost by a combined score of 9-4 against Czech Republic and Finland. That's plenty to be ashamed off, they're awful.

Not a sliver of offensive talent among them except for Coyle. Bjugstad continues to be a massive disappointment, the defense hasn't a sliver of puck moving ability, and Etem reminds me of a poor mans Afinogenov.

If you were to remove the Denmark game from the equation (because lets face it, a peewee team could compete against them) then look at the Americans top-6 forwards performance. They were non-existent. It was a talent and chemistry problem.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
Yes...

EVERY year we hear about how good Team USA is. EVERY YEAR!!!! And other than 2010 they are average.

Next year, as the tournament approaches, I hope a little modesty is in order.

Lol last year it was the Canadian media that was pimping up the US as the favourites!

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
I hate to say it, but as a fan of the WJC's for over 20 years, I have seen this happen before. Sometimes a great team on paper just can't get it together. Then they start to feel pressure, and the next thing you know they are overrun by an avalanche of emotion and a hot goalie.

This is not a new script. It has happened before and it will happen again. To the US and Canada.

All my fellow Canucks gloating right now...take a deep breath and remember karma...she's a female dog.

Hey remember some of the dogs we put on the ice in Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad