GDT: Group B • Dec. 28 • Russia 2, United States 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynamo81

Mar 21, 2008
Aussie in Moscow
I think Canada will beat Russia handily.If wrong will gladly post i was dead wrong,Doubt it though,And thats even with schedule so they have to play Russia nite after facing USA :) lol
Everyone was saying the same thing about Russia Vs Canada the past two years, oh and Russia had to play the day before in those matches too after games having gone into OT ;);)

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Gibson made several great saves to keep the game close.

I would have taken McCabe over Trouba defensively this game.

I thought McCabe did a great job shutting down Russia's top line, but maybe I'm just a homer. Jones looked very impressive for stretches of the game on the back end as well. I thought he and Nischushkin (sp?) both stepped up a bit today and showed what all the hype is about.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I wouldn't bet on that, Canada won't get that caliber of goaltending that USA has. Germany and Slovakia have shown that you don't need a finisher to rack up goals against Canada.

Canada knew they were gonna win them games,They will crank it up bigtime with hits vs Russia ,wait and see.Give u slight edge soemwhat in goal so far but not in scoring.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Is Makarov really better than Vasilevski? Vasilevski was golden at last years world juniors, he's bigger, he's drafted (1st round as well). Why does Makarov get the call? How does the russians think?

Makarov was better in Canada during the russian vs CHL tourney..
He looked great today..

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I thought McCabe did a great job shutting down Russia's top line, but maybe I'm just a homer. Jones looked very impressive for stretches of the game on the back end as well. I thought he and Nischushkin (sp?) both stepped up a bit today and showed what all the hype is about.

Been telling you for a while McCabe is the real deal. Kid outplayed Schultz a lot last year as a Freshman on the Badgers. Was a total steal in the second round.

Fulcrum

Hey both teams played well. US Goaltending is solid and they could've won this game as well.

Having said that, I think Russia's best game is still way ahead of them. There's way more talent than they showed today. Hopefully Yakupov will pull out of his offensive slump within the tournament.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Very entertaining game. I'd give the US a 60/40 advantage in play even though they lost.
If the US plays this way against Canada I can see a lopsided score in favour of the US. IMO Canada can't match the speed of the Americans.
Oh and there's the goaltenders. That favours the US too.

Bure

Jan 3, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
Good game, Russia still isn't firing at all cylinders. Hopefully they can get it going with the Germany game.

US team is strong, can't wait for the can-us game. 3-2 us in OT.

Oct 18, 2011
Grimaldi has no chance of being an impact player at this tournament, or in the pro's, with how he plays the game. one of the most selfish players i've seen in a while

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I hate Galchenyuk's linemates. They can't finish it for him and it's not normal than his linemates in Sarnia are even better than those at the WJC.

He wasn't very good today, people can keep blaming his linemates but Kuraly was the best player on his line today. He needs to play better against the other big boys in the tournament and the build up games. He isn't earning the chance that all these Montreal people are going on and on about him getting.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Russian defensive coverage and positioning was very impressive today. They gave up a couple of very dangerous chances early that Makarov bailed them out on, but after that they were very hard to penetrate.

Dynamo81

Mar 21, 2008
Aussie in Moscow
Good game, Russia still isn't firing at all cylinders. Hopefully they can get it going with the Germany game.

US team is strong, can't wait for the can-us game. 3-2 us in OT.

I have not been impressed with Canada's D, they obviously are still the favorites but I think the USA in terms of play has been the best team so far in the tournament.

Fulcrum

Very entertaining game. I'd give the US a 6/40 advantage in play even though they lost.
If the US plays this way against Canada I can see a lopsided score in favour of the US.IMO Canada can't match the speed of the Americans.

This is a very useless statement in short tournaments and in Jr hockey. If I learned anything is stay away from comparing games, focus on teams abilities, condition and form if you want to have an accurate prediction.

If team A beat B and B beat C, that doesn't always mean that Team A is better than C.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Grimaldi has no chance of being an impact player at this tournament, or in the pro's, with how he plays the game. one of the most selfish players i've seen in a while

Girmaldi had some very nice rushes and probably made the best defensive play when he turned on the jets and dove to knock off the puck from a Russian's stick.

Brave Sir Robin

Jul 7, 2011
Meh, Russia's top line was terrible this game. Yakupov refused to pass the puck and Khokhlachev kept loosing all the draws.

RPGrizzly

Jan 5, 2006
Not impressed with Jones at all. Where is this elite player I keep hearing about.

He's a player who relies on his skating and angles a lot. The big ice seemed to throw him off in terms of what angle he was going to play and the Russians exposed that, all game. But he did look a little lost in his zone. I was impressed by his rushes, gets up the ice very fast but it seemed the trailer was rarely available to him. He needs more time on the big ice, again the Russians really used that to their advantage. They seem much quicker this year. I was impressed with their game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad