Quebec City trying to keep the flame alive

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
There are arguably more hockey fans in USA, considering it has 8.5 times the population of Canada.
Yep.

JUst because there are 40 million people in Canada, doesn't mean all 40 million of em like hockey.

Heck, even if we assume every Canadian who likes sports like hockey, I suspect thats 50% at best,

If 10% of Americans like hockey, thats already more people.

Reactions: Summer Rose

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
Yep.

JUst because there are 40 million people in Canada, doesn't mean all 40 million of em like hockey.

Heck, even if we assume every Canadian who likes sports like hockey, I suspect thats 50% at best,

If 10% of Americans like hockey, thats already more people.
Canadians have the right to be proud of how, PROPORTIONALLY, they are great supporters of their hockey teams.

I don't think they realize that investors look at that and see limited growth potential. The Canadian markets are about as tapped as they ever will be. meaenwhile there's room to make money that isn't being made in several US cities, including ones that already have NHL teams.

Sure, to use an example upthread, the Oilers gross higher than the Blues right now. But string some good years together, and the peak potential of the St. Louis market is way higher, especially if the team manages to hit the right notes promotionally.

Nashville and Carolina are way healthier than they were 20 years ago because their leadership has done good work getting their roots in the ground. They'll make more money in 10years than they do today. Can the same be said for Edmondton?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I don't think it would be too far-fetched to say that if you took a hundred random Canadians and a hundred random Americans, there'd be more hockey fans in the random Canadian grouping. As a result, I'd likewise say that if you looked at a Canadian market with a million people and an American market with a million people, that the Canadian market would be more likely able to support a hockey team, though that's not a guarantee for success for north of the border or a guarantee of failure south of it.

But quantity has a quality of its own, to quote a bad person making a good quote. There are load more Americans, so it really only makes sense for there to be a load more American teams. That's coupled with the American economy being much larger than the Canadian, which means that there are more crazy rich potential owners in the US than Canada.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Canadians have the right to be proud of how, PROPORTIONALLY, they are great supporters of their hockey teams.

I don't think they realize that investors look at that and see limited growth potential. The Canadian markets are about as tapped as they ever will be. meaenwhile there's room to make money that isn't being made in several US cities, including ones that already have NHL teams.

Sure, to use an example upthread, the Oilers gross higher than the Blues right now. But string some good years together, and the peak potential of the St. Louis market is way higher, especially if the team manages to hit the right notes promotionally.

Nashville and Carolina are way healthier than they were 20 years ago because their leadership has done good work getting their roots in the ground. They'll make more money in 10years than they do today. Can the same be said for Edmondton?
I can't speak for everyone but we know that what investors look at is growth potential. But what people are failing to realize is that hockey is a niche sport and doesn't follow along the traditional business trajectories. There are teams who have had successful years, including winning the Stanley Cup, that simply haven't crossed that line from niche into mainstream within their city. So while you can talk about potential, evidence has shown that growth potential, market size, and population are not the only metrics that will determine success. Problem is, most people are too conditioned to believe that.

With regards to the NHL specifically, they seem to care more about what they can charge new owners via expansion as that money goes directly to the owners rather than the 50/50 split as HRR. So using those types of metrics are simply part of the illusionary sell job,

With regards to Canada, you're mostly right but not completely. People have talked about GTA 2 given the population size. Yes it would cannibalize a small percentage of the TML base but not entirely and certainly not the corporate elements.

Yes, they will be making more in all of those cities in 10 years compared to a lot of cities like St. Louis, Carolina, Tampa, Florida, Nashville, LA, Anaheim, San Jose, Columbus, and a few others.

With regards to Quebec, it 100% would tap in to an underserviced market as people are far underestimating the reach the Habs have in that city and around the region. What a Quebec City team offers is one that is going to be middle of the pack revenue wise and have some good years and some average years.

But, it doesn't fit with American expansionism and their unicorn like dream of getting that National TV deal that perverts the NHL's entire mindset.

Reactions: Lions67

Salsero1

Nov 10, 2022
I can't speak for everyone but we know that what investors look at is growth potential. But what people are failing to realize is that hockey is a niche sport and doesn't follow along the traditional business trajectories. There are teams who have had successful years, including winning the Stanley Cup, that simply haven't crossed that line from niche into mainstream within their city. So while you can talk about potential, evidence has shown that growth potential, market size, and population are not the only metrics that will determine success. Problem is, most people are too conditioned to believe that.

With regards to the NHL specifically, they seem to care more about what they can charge new owners via expansion as that money goes directly to the owners rather than the 50/50 split as HRR. So using those types of metrics are simply part of the illusionary sell job,

With regards to Canada, you're mostly right but not completely. People have talked about GTA 2 given the population size. Yes it would cannibalize a small percentage of the TML base but not entirely and certainly not the corporate elements.

Yes, they will be making more in all of those cities in 10 years compared to a lot of cities like St. Louis, Carolina, Tampa, Florida, Nashville, LA, Anaheim, San Jose, Columbus, and a few others.

With regards to Quebec, it 100% would tap in to an underserviced market as people are far underestimating the reach the Habs have in that city and around the region. What a Quebec City team offers is one that is going to be middle of the pack revenue wise and have some good years and some average years.

But, it doesn't fit with American expansionism and their unicorn like dream of getting that National TV deal that perverts the NHL's entire mindset.
Perverts the mindset? The NHL has always been a profit motivated business. They've been expanding into the US since the 1920s. QC or anywhere else in Canada isn't entitled to a team by some birthright. QC offers no real upside, it's an even worse version of Winnipeg.

I really don't think some bitter anti-sunbelt internet Canadian such as yourself knows better than the people who run the NHL.

Last edited:

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
hockey is a niche sport and doesn't follow along the traditional business trajectories.
Umm yes it does? At least insofar as sports teams go. your argument is basically "but this is DIFFERENT!" when it's no different.

newsflash: EVERY sport is a niche sport. The people not interested in a given sports team always outnumber those who are. Even very well capitalized fanbases like the Toronto Maple Leafs, Boston Red Sox, New York Yankees, Dallas Cowboys, etc are outnumbered by those who simply don't care.

ALL OF SPORTS is a niche market. That doesn't mean it can't be huge, It doesn't mean you can't widen the niche. But it's still a niche.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

So just as an example of level of interest in Canada versus the US:

There were 549,000 registered hockey players in Canada in 2022-23. There were 556,000 registered hockey players in the US. The numbers are virtually identical despite the US having 8x larger population. I think we can say that Canadians are 8x more likely to be a hockey fan than an American.

You might remember that St Louis won the Stanley Cup just 5 years ago and have been pretty successful on ice recently - so not an example of a team that just needs some on-ice success and it'll suddenly be financially successful.

Am I saying St Louis needs to be moved to Quebec City? No of course not. St Louis is fine. But there are legitimate reasons why the league would be interested in going back to Quebec City relating to the intensity of the fan base.

And so in the end - yes I'd still much rather own an NHL franchise in Edmonton than in St Louis.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Salsero1

Nov 10, 2022
So just as an example of level of interest in Canada versus the US:

There were 549,000 registered hockey players in Canada in 2022-23. There were 556,000 registered hockey players in the US. The numbers are virtually identical despite the US having 8x larger population. I think we can say that Canadians are 8x more likely to be a hockey fan than an American.

You might remember that St Louis won the Stanley Cup just 5 years ago and have been pretty successful on ice recently - so not an example of a team that just needs some on-ice success and it'll suddenly be financially successful.

Am I saying St Louis needs to be moved to Quebec City? No of course not. St Louis is fine. But there are legitimate reasons why the league would be interested in going back to Quebec City relating to the intensity of the fan base.

And so in the end - yes I'd still much rather own an NHL franchise in Edmonton than in St Louis.
No, you cannot say Canadians are 8x as likely to be hockey fans from that nugget.

How accessible is playing the game to Americans? I grew up in upstate NY and had no opportunity. I live in NC now and there are thriving youth programs here, way more than where I grew up. Most people I meet at games have never put on a pair of skates.

If the league wanted to be in QC, they'd be there. The intensity of Fandom of a community really isn't an indicator of a successful NHL franchise, just as some here claim population isn't. NHL teams are not rewards handed out to the purest fans.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
No, you cannot say Canadians are 8x as likely to be hockey fans from that nugget.

How accessible is playing the game to Americans? I grew up in upstate NY and had no opportunity. I live in NC now and there are thriving youth programs here, way more than where I grew up. Most people I meet at games have never put on a pair of skates.

If the league wanted to be in QC, they'd be there. The intensity of Fandom of a community really isn't an indicator of a successful NHL franchise, just as some here claim population isn't. NHL teams are not rewards handed out to the purest fans.

Take TV ratings. Very roughly speaking (because it varies a lot depending on the matchup) the typical NHL playoff game gets roughly 1 million TV viewers - in both Canada and in the US. Again - despite 8x larger population, about as many Americans view games as Canadians.

So I certainly agree that an NHL franchise isn't awarded as some reward for being the "best fans" - it's always cold, hard business. But I also disagree that "If the league wanted to be in QC, they'd be there". The league would love to be in Atlanta and Houston, but there are no teams there for a variety of reasons.

The problem with Quebec City is ownership. PK Peladeau controls the arena, but he doesn't have the money for an NHL franchise. If that changed somehow the league would have no problem with a QC franchise.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
There is a baked in structural dislike of Canadians with many of Americans. Far less than a majority, but enough for it to matter. I think this thread is a good piece of evidence, that a lot of Americans simply view Canadians as "lesser".

This is doubly so for Francophones.

Reactions: Subban signed e5

Salsero1

Nov 10, 2022
There is a baked in structural dislike of Canadians with many of Americans. Far less than a majority, but enough for it to matter. I think this thread is a good piece of evidence, that a lot of Americans simply view Canadians as "lesser".

It's actually the opposite. There's a baked in inferiority complex of Canada wrt the USA.

The majority of us just want to be a part of the NHL and enjoy it. A loud group of Canadians take offense of that and use any opportunity to spit venom at us, tell us we don't deserve to be here, our teams would be better off elsewhere. Us being here is some sort of threat to their identity. We honestly dgaf about Canada. They choose to make this into a culture war.

The NHL is a business that is predicated on growth. It makes complete sense to target large American markets to facilitate growth. It is not the NHL's job to pat QC on the head and make them feel special. Take this from a Canes fan, we took the brunt of QCs malice until Dundon.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

We are veering way off topic here, but I'd bet you any amount of money in the world that the average American spends far less time thinking about Canada than the average Canadian spends thinking about the United States. And that's not meant as an insult, the US's impact on Canada economically, politically, socially, and even in regards to sports is much bigger than vice versa due to the population disparity between the two. Canada just doesn't occupy much headspace in the American zeitgeist, and man I can't believe I used "zeitgeist" unironically.

There might be a built-in tendency for Americans to crack jokes about Canada if and when topical, but beyond that outside of hockey and occassionally when the Raptors or Jays are good, the average American spends maybe seconds a year thinking about Canada. There certainly isn't a built-in animosity outside of fandom annoyances.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
We are veering way off topic here, but I'd bet you any amount of money in the world that the average American spends far less time thinking about Canada than the average Canadian spends thinking about the United States. And that's not meant as an insult, the US's impact on Canada economically, politically, socially, and even in regards to sports is much bigger than vice versa due to the population disparity between the two. Canada just doesn't occupy much headspace in the American zeitgeist, and man I can't believe I used "zeitgeist" unironically.

There might be a built-in tendency for Americans to crack jokes about Canada if and when topical, but beyond that outside of hockey and occassionally when the Raptors or Jays are good, the average American spends maybe seconds a year thinking about Canada. There certainly isn't a built-in animosity outside of fandom annoyances.
Saying Canadians aren't important enough to dislike isn't the compliment you think it is.

Last edited:

BMN

Jun 2, 2021
I feel like people on all sides of the argument really missed the point @Fatass was making several points ago when he made the soccer/hockey comparison (which I extended to a hockey/gridiron football comparison)...

How many people are PLAYING the sport is an overrated metric when discussing the business proposition of franchise location. Now, don't get it twisted. When I say "overrated," I certainly don't mean "irrelevant." But it's a flawed premise to argue "when we have as many youth rinks as <insert name of "traditional" market>, then more people in <insert name of non-traditional city> will be playing hockey and THEN you'll see! Our franchises will be worth ten bazillion dollars!" But by the same token, it's equally absurd to argue "more people play the sport in Sidney Crosby's hometown than in Houston, so let's put a NHL team in Cole Harbour!"

Sticking with Nova Scotia for another analogy: Go to the Football Nova Scotia Associations page and note 1-- how few teams there are, 2--- how geographically concentrated they are for the most part, 3--- how "professional" this page looks and consider that 4--- these kids are playing Canadian gridiron football.

Does this mean that if the NFL held an exhibition game between the Chiefs and the 49ers in downtown Halifax that there wouldn't be lines and lines of cars around the block? Of course not. Does this mean that the NFL in Halifax is a workable business proposition? Also of course not. But my point being: the fan interest in the NFL, the most famous sports league in North America, only holds its partial value in how many people are actually playing in any given city or town. Based on the "no fair, we don't have a lot of rinks yet!" argument, a Chiefs-49ers game in Halifax, NS would only get 3K people and we'd chalk to up to "well, we don't have a lot of football fields up here...."

Now, the NHL has worked real hard to spread its geographic imprint across the *entire* continental United States. Where the *REAL* interesting debate to me is this: ostensibly, adding teams in non-traditional markets is supposed to increase the media value of the league writ large and thus all of its franchises.......which begs the question of if the NHL has done an adequate job in the last quarter-century of promoting those newer franchises on the level of the Original Six (seemingly the permanent "keepers" of Wednesdays on NBC Sports back in the day....).

Because if the idea is "we need the NHL in Phoenix because that city is growing and ESPN wants those viewers!," the question then becomes "Is it really all that necessary to have a NHL team there right now to get the number of viewers we've been getting?" And if the answer to *that* question is "no," then is it because that is just the ceiling for TV viewers there or is there something else that needs to be done to enhance the value that the Phoenixs, the Nashvilles, the Carolinas, etc. bring the overall media proposition?

This sort of encapsulates why arguments for GTA2 or Quebec City tend to be protectionist in nature (and I don't just mean culturally although that is often true) in the sense of "a lot of people in these areas watch hockey but they're not gonna keep doing so if we don't have these teams." Whereas a Houston, etc. is more of a "there are people here that *AREN'T* watching hockey that we figure will given a team and enough time."

Re: GTA2, the argument has often been "instantly a team in that area would be worth more than at least 75% of the league, even accounting for currency exchange." Hell, in the late 2000s, the *NHL itself* made that argument in court. But in 2024, I think the argument might be: "It used to be 'guaranteed top six,' but now it's probably 'guaranteed top twelve' and if we let it go at this rate, we're surrendering a strong portion of our #1 market to other sports interests." Because remember: MLSE likes the idea that the runoff audience for the Leafs/Marlies doesn't run to another hockey team but to their *OTHER* sporting interests (Raptors, FC, etc.). But that doesn't do anything for the NHL.

Quebec City is a much tougher argument. And as I've already stated in this thread & others, I think the talking points for Q.C. as a market really don't register with businesspeople, for better or worse. The best argument I can make is that for future Canadian media contracts (even saying "TV contracts" sounds like outmoded speak) maybe it's good to have four Centre/Eastern Canadian teams and four Centre/Western teams for two separate lucrative contracts?
We are veering way off topic here, but I'd bet you any amount of money in the world that the average American spends far less time thinking about Canada than the average Canadian spends thinking about the United States.
You could replace "Canada" with just about any country in the world and this sentence is still true. We just happen to be next door and majority anglophone, which is something none of the other countries can say, which amplifies the 'why this is a contrast but it is a contrast' of it all.
There might be a built-in tendency for Americans to crack jokes about Canada if and when topical, but beyond that outside of hockey and occasionally when the Raptors or Jays are good, the average American spends maybe seconds a year thinking about Canada. There certainly isn't a built-in animosity outside of fandom annoyances.
This is something several Americans on this board often don't understand. There is a base level condescension when many (not all, but MANY) Americans talk about Canada. It's completely unintended and honestly usually really benign. But nevertheless it comes across and taken over a long period of time can REALLY grate. So if you encounter a defensive Canadian on HFBoards, they're probably carrying years and years of annoyance at that. :laugh:

It really is hard to "get it" unless you're Canadian (and especially a Canadian that has lived half of his life in the States like some of us have). So much so that I have friends that will often just say something like "Canada, eh?" as if..........that's the joke, or something. And I'm like: "What's the joke? That we're a nation that exists?" That's something I've honest-to-goodness seen friends of mine do multiple times and I just stand there and shake my head...

Which, to bring it back around to this thread, is what makes "Canadian traditionalist vs. non-traditionalist" arguments surrounding hockey so fascinating. Whatever the things both sides disagree on, there's a general consensus that it's the Canadian traditionalists that are acting like "gatekeepers" (it's just an argument over whether the gatekeeping is justified or not). You really don't see that dynamic very often re: Canada-the U.S.

It reminds me of watching the USA play in the World Cup in a bar with a very non-jingoistic agnostic-to-nation-pride American friend of mine (this game, if memory serves). It was fascinating to watch him suddenly become VERY jingoistic and chant "U-S-A!" at the top of his lungs when they scored a big goal. I pointed out the contradiction from his normal personality and told him that it must just be the fervor of the bar, etc. He agreed that played a part but added (paraphrasing a bit here) "yeah but I also just think it's adorable where we're the underdog of anything!" (soccer writ large moreso than that specific game). That's kind of how non-traditionalists see themselves in the hockey world: As the 'underdogs' not so much in terms of on-the-ice but off-the-ice success. And it's rare for Americans to take that pose, and I imagine probably a little refreshing.

Add the inherent jingoistic tensions between predominately-francophone-Quebec-City and the rest of Canada and the north-south of the United States and there are extra layers of irony there, but this post is a million words long already! :laugh:

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
How many people are PLAYING the sport is an overrated metric when discussing the business proposition of franchise location. Now, don't get it twisted. When I say "overrated," I certainly don't mean "irrelevant." But it's a flawed premise to argue "when we have as many youth rinks as <insert name of "traditional" market>, then more people in <insert name of non-traditional city> will be playing hockey and THEN you'll see! Our franchises will be worth ten bazillion dollars!" But by the same token, it's equally absurd to argue "more people play the sport in Sidney Crosby's hometown than in Houston, so let's put a NHL team in Cole Harbour!"

So I was the one who brought up hockey registrations. I never said it was the be-all and end-all. But the intensity of how much Canadians follow hockey compared to Americans is very real and obvious, and the fact that hockey registratin is roughly the same in both countries, despite the huge population difference, is a useful way to look at it. Same with when I brought up TV ratings - when viewed in absolute numbers the ratings are roughly the same in both the US and Canada.

I brought this point up in response to someone dissing not just Quebec City, but Winnipeg, Edmonton and Calgary. The Alberta franchises are very successful and definitely not something the league would want to lose. Winnipeg (and that's my team!) is definitely in the bottom part of the league in terms of revenue, but it's a solid franchise and still better then some middle-tier US option.

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018

This is basically the Racism card for Canadians and it's beneath you. Please don't do this again.

In case you've forgotten the NHL is not a Canadian league. It's an American league with a large number of Canadian teams, but it operates out of New York.

Canadians are disproportionately OVERrepresented in the NHL right now, with 10% of the population and 25% of the teams.

So don't make these noises again. Even if they weren't incorrect, which they are, they'd still be irrelevant.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
This is basically the Racism card for Canadians and it's beneath you. Please don't do this again.

In case you've forgotten the NHL is not a Canadian league. It's an American league with a large number of Canadian teams, but it operates out of New York.

Canadians are disproportionately OVERrepresented in the NHL right now, with 10% of the population and 25% of the teams.

So don't make these noises again. Even if they weren't incorrect, which they are, they'd still be irrelevant.
Way to prove my point.

I love how Americans pop in, insult Canada, and then get upset that Canadians don't like getting insulted.

Even a mod did it.

Last edited:

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

And what exactly is it you're doing?

It's a bi-national league. It has offices in NYC, yes, but also Toronto and Montreal.

Probably worth noting that over 40% of active NHL players are Canadian. The league earns far more revenue per person in Canada then in the US.

You can argue whether Canada should have 7 teams, or 8, or 6 - but Canada is very, very important to the USA and everyone knows that. USA is also very, very important to the NHL too, and everyone also knows that.

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
And what exactly is it you're doing?

It's a bi-national league. It has offices in NYC, yes, but also Toronto and Montreal.

Probably worth noting that over 40% of active NHL players are Canadian. The league earns far more revenue per person in Canada then in the US.

You can argue whether Canada should have 7 teams, or 8, or 6 - but Canada is very, very important to the USA and everyone knows that. USA is also very, very important to the NHL too, and everyone also knows that.
I'm sorry I'm sure there's a point in there you're trying to make but I can't for the life of me figure out what it might be.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Im an American and I'd LOVE to see a Nordique resurgence! Then I could break out my hat I bought right before they flew the coop to Colorado! Bring the Whale back too while we're at it!

Reactions: Reaser

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Im an American and I'd LOVE to see a Nordique resurgence! Then I could break out my hat I bought right before they flew the coop to Colorado! Bring the Whale back too while we're at it!

I'm Canadian, but firmly in the "I only care about my team, and could care less about other Canadian teams" camp. A return of the Nords wouldn't do anything to my fandom.

But come on - the league would be better with a quirky team from heavily francophone Quebec City in it with it's nice powder blue unis and goofy-looking logo. No offence to Utah which I'm sure will be a fine hockey market - but wouldn't you want to see your team roll into Quebec City once per year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad