GDT: Group B • Dec. 28 • Canada 5, Czech Republic 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If Wedgewood gets the start tomorrow then they plan on rolling him the whole way. No way would you give Visentin 4 days off and then start him against the US.

The question is what happens if Visentin starts tomorrow. Do it mean they are going to roll him, or is he just getting the easy game, and then they will go to Wedgewood for the US.

As of now you gotta feel like Wedgewood will get the nod against the US. Visentin played well against the Fins, but Wedgewood was better against the Czechs, made a nice pass, was better in camp and the warmup games.

But who do you think they'll go to against Denmark?

I want them to go with Wedgewood, imo he deserves every start from now on unless he totally screws up, also I have him in my pool so a win and maybe a(nother) shutout would be sweet.

I think they will go with Visentin though. Just give him some more game action in case they need him in the medal round. Plus whoever gets the nod tomorrow won't be tested much at all, don't want to throw Wedgewood's focus off by making him stand up by himself doing nothing for long streches of time. Though that shouldn't make any difference but you never know

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
If Wedgewood gets the start tomorrow then they plan on rolling him the whole way. No way would you give Visentin 4 days off and then start him against the US.

The question is what happens if Visentin starts tomorrow. Do it mean they are going to roll him, or is he just getting the easy game, and then they will go to Wedgewood for the US.

As of now you gotta feel like Wedgewood will get the nod against the US. Visentin played well against the Fins, but Wedgewood was better against the Czechs, made a nice pass, was better in camp and the warmup games.

But who do you think they'll go to against Denmark?

I want them to go with Wedgewood, imo he deserves every start from now on unless he totally screws up, also I have him in my pool so a win and maybe a(nother) shutout would be sweet.

I think they will go with Visentin though. Just give him some more game action in case they need him in the medal round. Plus whoever gets the nod tomorrow won't be tested much at all, don't want to throw Wedgewood's focus off by making him stand up by himself doing nothing for long streches of time. Though that shouldn't make any difference but you never know

To be honest the starter against Denmark isnt really a determiner of who has the inside track against the USA.

There are precedents for all situations. In 09, Tokarski started the 1st game, but Pickard played games 2 and 3 before going back to Tokarski against the US. In 08, Jonathan Bernier started the 1st game, as well as the big 3rd game against Sweden, but Mason replaced him from game 4 on

I do agree that Visentin starts against Denmark. You give him another game for confidence and to stay focussed, and barring an unforgettable performance by Viz, go with Wedgwood against the US. If Wedge beats the US, he is the guy, if he isnt stellar, you go to Visentin

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
sick game tonight, me and friends started the wedgewood chant during player nominees. wedgewood should of won it instead of f.hamilton imo. but i wasn't watching from TV to see if he was big factor

F. Hamilton was an absolute stud defensively and had a great play on the Strome goal too. But he was PoG for his faceoffs, PKing, defensive play, and takeaways more than the assist. I am stoked to see a guy win it for something other than offense. Wedgewood was great, but the crowd should simply support whomever is picked.

goaliedad29

Dec 20, 2011
Is Pysyk hurt? Or does he just not play?

He does play... I would say he's the #5 d-man in their rotation. He takes a regular shift, usually with Oleksiak as his partner. Because he's not on the PP, and only some of the time on the PK, in a game like tonight with so many special teams shifts he may not get as much ice as the top 4, but he definitely plays as much or more than Oleksiak, and definitely more than Beaulieu.

Beaulieu played 3 shifts tonight 5-on-5, thats all. He is basically only seeing PP time. He is definitely the #7 d-man.

And I do not get the Dougie Hamilton love-in. Admittedly I don't get to see him on a regular basis in the OHL, But I think he has been extremely underwhelming so far. You can definitely see the offensive upside, but he has been mostly brutal defensively IMO. To me, Pysk plays a very similar game to Murray and Harrington... not flashy, not overly "noticeable", just very steady and dependable. No worries when those guys are on the ice.

eli J

Claw Machine broke
Nov 14, 2010
Moncton, NB
there's zero reason to go with Visentin at this point unless the coaching staff reaaaallly saw something in training camp with him that we haven't seen in the games yet. Wedgewood has just been better so far. And maybe he isn't the better goalie overall, but there isn't anything to sggest that in the tournament results yet.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Solid game by Canada. Kudos to the Czechs. They battled hard and anyone who just looked at the final score would probably be surprised to learn that the game was 1-0 for more than half of the game.

Wedgewood's pass on the powerplay was a thing of beauty!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad