GDT: Group B • Dec. 26 • Denmark 3, United States 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Apart from the crazy second period, Denmark did well. I know what it's like to be on the end of a big loss, but they'll bounce back.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Don't know if they'll medal or not (and I know they were playing an outmanned team), but this US team looked FAST....for the most part, I really liked how they looked last night.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Apart from the crazy second period, Denmark did well. I know what it's like to be on the end of a big loss, but they'll bounce back.

I'm not sure how being on the losing end of an 11-3 score can be considered "doing well." The minute the U.S. decided to exert it's will there was a landslide of goals. Aside from the sloppy U.S. PK (which I can guarantee Blais will address), the Danes were completely overmatched. All you had to do is watch the U.S. puck possession.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Because he beat out Knight.

This made me laugh and laugh.

I'm sure the fact that Archibald plays for Blais (and that USA Hockey has an axe to grind with Knight) had nothing to do with it...

I would say playing in a tournament with your country playing crucial minutes with your mates is far more crucial to a players development. Maybe not in the sense that he is playing weaker competition but this is the kind of tournament that instills a sense of pride and confidence in ones play that the Hurricanes can't provide.

Sure let lose 5 straight with the canes being a minus each game completely shattering his confidence OR let him battle for a Gold Medal with his countrymen which could possibly be the highlight of his career. I bet he is very mad

Po-tay-to, Po-tah-to...

Both sides of this argument have merit, but if Faulk's confidence is "completely shattered" by playing on a poor team in the best league in the world, than he is much weaker mentally than I thought and really has no business being in the NHL (which I don't think is the case). I think you are being a bit overly dramatic about how fragile Faulk's psyche is?

Personally, I think that any player that makes a pro roster should not be allowed to play in the WJC's. Just my opinion.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I'm not sure how being on the losing end of an 11-3 score can be considered "doing well." The minute the U.S. decided to exert it's will there was a landslide of goals. Aside from the sloppy U.S. PK (which I can guarantee Blais will address), the Danes were completely overmatched. All you had to do is watch the U.S. puck possession.

I can see where you're coming but did you see Denmark scoring three times and keeping it close for the first period? I didn't.

Robin Hood

Aug 28, 2007
Copenhagen
I'm not sure how being on the losing end of an 11-3 score can be considered "doing well."
Depends on what your objective is. Denmark's succes criteria was not to win this match but to prepare the team for the final against Latvia. Everything in this tournament is about not being relegated.

The minute the U.S. decided to exert it's will there was a landslide of goals. Aside from the sloppy U.S. PK (which I can guarantee Blais will address), the Danes were completely overmatched. All you had to do is watch the U.S. puck possession.

We know this señor Obvious :). You must realize that Denmark has fewer hockey players than there are rinks in USA and this is our second WJC ever and first with this batch of players. No-one expected that the Danes could keep up with the Americans throughout the match. As I said, different objectives, different ways of "doing well".

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I can see where you're coming but did you see Denmark scoring three times and keeping it close for the first period? I didn't.

I'm not saying Denmark didn't put up a good fight for a period, but just like the Sweden/Latvia and Canada/Finland (the most impressive victory IMO) games, when the better side decided to exert it's will-game over. The U.S. basically played keep away for most of the game.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
I would say playing in a tournament with your country playing crucial minutes with your mates is far more crucial to a players development. Maybe not in the sense that he is playing weaker competition but this is the kind of tournament that instills a sense of pride and confidence in ones play that the Hurricanes can't provide.

Sure let lose 5 straight with the canes being a minus each game completely shattering his confidence OR let him battle for a Gold Medal with his countrymen which could possibly be the highlight of his career. I bet he is very mad

The Canes are 4-2-2 in their last eight and Faulk has been excellent. If he's unhappy, he certainly hasn't let it be reflected in his play.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
power play goals, US shot themselves in the foot.

I thought the U.S. was incredibly passive on the PK. Allowed the Danes to set-up one-timers at will. That needs to be fixed. Campbell didn't look great on the 3rd goal, but I think he'll be more focused as the tourney goes on.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008

I'm not sure Justin is mad. I did read an article where he said he was leaving the decision up to the team but it would be an honour and privilege to play for his country. Unlike a certain Canadian player who said last year he would be disappointed to leave his NHL team.

I might get beat up a bit for saying this but I think American players for the most part are more patriotic.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I might get beat up a bit for saying this but I think American players for the most part are more patriotic.

With the number of Canadian players who are now passing on the tournament, I am starting to agree with you.

Can't remember which American player got cut yesterday...

Who was it and what is his status?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I love how a team wins 11-3, and yet still has trolls on this board claiming it wasnt impressive or deserving.

Best player on the ice for both teams was Coyle, anyone suggesting anything else is simply mad.

First periods are usually close scoring, it is in the final two periods were teams fade away and the better teams stand out which is what happened here...same thing happened in Canada vs Finland game.

The US team isnt perfect, but at this point the only team that should beat them for the Gold is themselves. This is a Gold or bust team imo as they have enough top level talent at every position to ride through any struggles that might come.

I started laughing by mid second period how commanding and easy it was for the US to control the puck, enter the opposition zone, and just dominate Denmark. They wont be able to do this to every team, but I love a showing like this, this early on for this squad. Builds confidence all around, and lets these kids know what they are truly capable of.

Next up, da Fins.

StoneColdFlower*

Beating Finland 8 - 1 is a far greater accomplishment than beating Denmark 11 - 3. Canada will beat the Danes 14 - 0.

WaltWhitman

Oct 18, 2010
Does anybody remember when Canada beat Latvia 16-0 in the World Juniors in 2010?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Beating Finland 8 - 1 is a far greater accomplishment than beating Denmark 11 - 3. Canada will beat the Danes 14 - 0.

A win is a win, much more impressed with team USA's speed while watching both games. Also worth mentioning that Canada left Finland's top line untouched during that contest. The Granlund's and Pulkkinen were an even during that blow out. They are much closer in talent with the USA team than the rest of their countrymen. The USA needs to fix the PK, outside of that there was a ton to like from just watching the team. Their team speed and size is scary good. Campbell also has traditionally gotten better as tournaments go along. I thought Canada was still the favorite going in to the tournament. However the loss of Pelly-Smith and just how big and fast team USA looked yesterday have me thinking Canada will have a hard time with them this year. USA will win at least one of the likely two matchups, I hope it is in the medal round.

brtriad

Jan 18, 2009
The Loop
I'm most impressed with the team defense. Given that it's Denmark, but they had no sustained puck possession outside of the powerplay. One and dones and they were extremely effective separating puck from man along thr boards.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
A win is a win, much more impressed with team USA's speed while watching both games. Also worth mentioning that Canada left Finland's top line untouched during that contest. The Granlund's and Pulkkinen were an even during that blow out. They are much closer in talent with the USA team than the rest of their countrymen. The USA needs to fix the PK, outside of that there was a ton to like from just watching the team. Their team speed and size is scary good. Campbell also has traditionally gotten better as tournaments go along. I thought Canada was still the favorite going in to the tournament. However the loss of Pelly-Smith and just how big and fast team USA looked yesterday have me thinking Canada will have a hard time with them this year. USA will win at least one of the likely two matchups, I hope it is in the medal round.

Yes its a big loss but i would nto write Canada off just yet there stilla good team but the other thing is the Staes could be there own enemy if they start trying to make that big hit and not worry about the about the other deatils or start taking bad penalitys that could really hurt them.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Yes its a big loss but i would nto write Canada off just yet there stilla good team but the other thing is the Staes could be there own enemy if they start trying to make that big hit and not worry about the about the other deatils or start taking bad penalitys that could really hurt them.

The constant hitting is what will hopefully make the US competitive with Canada and Russia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad