GDT: Group A • Dec. 31 • Canada vs. Sweden • Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Hopefully Sweden plays this one a gear lower. Secure of a 1st spot and with nothing to prove, they should just try To avoid injuries and fatigue.

Play a safe, dull game and watch out for headhunters.

They should, but I am sure that a coach like Grönborg will never learn from previous mistakes.

I hope that sandström plays, so both goalies have played one big game.

Last edited:

S A W F T*

What is the incentive for Sweden to even show up today?

Other than individual stats of course.

Urgi

Dec 25, 2008
Hoping for a good game, no injuries on either team please! happy new years hfboards

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
What is the incentive for Sweden to even show up today?

Other than individual stats of course.

Sweden hasn't lost a group stage game in the WJC since 2006. One can always argue how "bad" they would want a win, but i doubt that they will go easy just because the game doesn't really "mean anything". And since US clinched the 2nd place, the game doesn't exactly mean anything for Canada either, other than building up some confidence.
I don't see Canada-Sweden as some sort of Canada-USA rivalry, but there's still a lot of pride in these games. You always want to win against Canada, the greatest hockey-country in the world. And im sure the swedes are very interested in going through such a tough group, as this has been, unbeaten.

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
aohyro, you're embarassing us swedes here with that old svullo video ( may he rip though)

Holmström looks really awkward out there. He might be injured or something. However Ehn has looked real sharp not only in his defensive role but also as a puck carrier and passer. If I were Grönis, I would try him centering our top line... remember Zetterberg at the wjc anyone?

:laugh:

Swedens toughest opponent has "always" been the US. 1st win this year against them since '96 says it all.

With all due respect to Canada, im not really surprised that they have been struggling to be honest, but you can never count them out of it. They can easily win this game if they start clicking.

yeah in JWC maybe but Canada is like Swedens kryptonite:D

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Nuts and bolts maybe.

Canada or Sweden probably don't want to lose though.

Hopefully the Canadian coach will deploy his players better this game.

At this point both teams should just look at this as an opportunity to works some kinks out of their game.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
At this point both teams should just look at this as an opportunity to works some kinks out of their game.

Really interested in seeing the shift lengths from Canada.

That PP last game was awful and the 'star' players overplayed themselves detrimentally.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Sweden playing with 6D 11F. No Larsson or Eriksson Ek. 4th line bumped up to 3rd line, Forsbacka & Grundström "extras".

carlweezer*

Virtanen Strome Crouse line is going to man handle today.

I'd like to see more execution and to clean up the turnovers especially from Marner.

Fleury needs to take the lead on our defence. He is capable.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
This game will be the springboard for Canada into the QF's. I actually kind of enjoy how much teams are looking past Canada, they're going to surprise some team who takes them lightly. (i.e. Laine's comments regarding Canada).

carlweezer*

It's amazing how many people are counting out the Canadians already. Canada must be loving this and using this as fuel in that locker room.

I wish Virtanen and Point were healthy then this tournament wouldn't even be any contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad