|
wus.gif
Brian Oliver | -

Last edited:

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
The last Canada GDT went haywire. Let's do better this time. No fanbase bashing and so on. This is the only warning.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Will be interesting to see how Lowry deals with the physicality/size of the Swedish team... playing guys for long shifts again could well be a recipe for total disaster...

for example if Chabot-Hicketts get a long shift vs the '1st' line and are ground down a bit by their size/strength... and then get double shifted and thrown out vs that nifty 2nd line how will they cope?

Canada need to use their depth here. Sweden are deep as well, especially up-front, but if you forecheck the D hard and keep the momentum high the only guys I truly trust to not **** break-outs up at all under extreme fore-checking pressure are Forsling & Larsson.

Keeping the momentum high and hectic will also limit the Swedish 1st line. (as Holmstrom has trouble keeping up going end to end, north/south, and in turn Kempe & Lindblom are easier to channel away from the net when not having to worry as much about the 3rd forward on a rush.)

Guys like Virtanen, Perlini, Gauthier and Konecny could be really important for setting the 'tone' of this game early... go out and make it known Canada are not going to *****foot around and let guys like Englund, Carlsson, Lagesson, AOM, Karlsson, Kempe, Lindblom and Holmstrom impose themselves physically with no resistance.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Really excited to see how Alex Nylander plays against us. He'll likely be there when the Leafs are picking and so far he's been really impressive. I thought McLeod was the better player but I think I'm leaning towards Nylander as of now.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Glad to see Koneckny got moved up. He has looked good in a limited amount of ice time. Actually was wondering if he would replace Virtanen on Strome's RW.

Last edited:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Glad to see Koneckny got moved up. Actually was wondering if he would replace Virtanen on Strome's RW.

I don't even look at the lines any more because Lowry messes with them like a maniac. One bad period? Change every single line.

He relies too heavily on certain D pairings when really there is no standout D on this team...all of them should be given ice time.

Hicketts was overplayed and it could easily have backfired but he got lucky because it was Switzerland.

Sweden is going to be tough to beat, we need every single line going.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
With Sweden clinching first place, i think this game is for Canada to take, because i am optimistically hoping Sweden will not be 100% all out to win. Will be a great game. I think Canada edges this one out.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
so if the USA wins this game means literally nothing in the standings?
In the standings, yes. However don't make the mistake of then thinking the players on either team don't care about it. These guys are ultra competitive, and these are two big time rivals. I expect them to go at it hard and try to set the tone for the playoff round.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Any time two of the "big five" are playing it's going to be a competitive affair. Hell, it could be an outright exhibition and it would still be competitive.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Glad to see Koneckny got moved up. He has looked good in a limited amount of ice time. Actually was wondering if he would replace Virtanen on Strome's RW.

I think this has potential. The top line needs a banger, someone who can do some dirty work. Too much finesse not enough sand paper.

Sweden plays a very structured game, they move the puck well. I think it should be a great game regardless

Plot Twist: William gets in last minute. It would have been nice to see Marner VS W Nylander

Westcoasthabsfan

Aug 22, 2004
In Pandoras Box
With Sweden clinching first place, i think this game is for Canada to take, because i am optimistically hoping Sweden will not be 100% all out to win. Will be a great game. I think Canada edges this one out.

Canada has deserved a better fate then they have gotten...Canada will get going and the chase for a repeat begins...

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Will be curious to see how much gas Canada has in the tank.

And if Lowry still thinks 2-3 minute shifts are a good thing :laugh:

The Swedes are a big, talented team and this should be an entertaining game :)

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
If virtanen plays like he did in the 3rd period, he will dominate, if he plays like he did in the previous 5 periods (not counting the 3rd), I pretty much am running low on confidence with him, and really do wonder what is going on in his head.

Let's hope all the struggling players step up, and play good games.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
Sweden essentially playing there back-up Goalie and Sweden essentially playing without there best player in W. Nylander. Time for a statement game. Expecting big things from the boys today. If we work hard, and play to our capabilities, good smart clean Canadian Hockey I have faith we will pull through. Let's go boys. Go Canada Go!

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Canada has deserved a better fate then they have gotten...Canada will get going and the chase for a repeat begins...

Deserved a better fate how? By playing like a bunch of puck hogs and letting other teams out work us. We don't have a strong enough roster this year to take our foot off the gas pedal for even a second or we'll be watching other teams in the medal round this year.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Not sold on the Swedish ability to score in this tournament. Without William someone or the top line have to step up and produce, we can't rely on Timashov and a 17 year old.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Very interesting matchup. Hm, something tells me Canada might win this one, even though Sweden has looked better in their games. I think it'll be close, something like 5-4 or 6-5 Canada, or the other way around. Could go either way.

helax

General Hockey Fan
Apr 2, 2013
Sweden essentially playing there back-up Goalie and Sweden essentially playing without there best player in W. Nylander. Time for a statement game. Expecting big things from the boys today. If we work hard, and play to our capabilities, good smart clean Canadian Hockey I have faith we will pull through. Let's go boys. Go Canada Go!

If you consider that back-up goalie is one of the best in the tournament, but yeh "back-up" :popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad