GDT: Group A • Dec. 31 • Canada vs. Sweden • Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
The results of this game and for Canada going forward depend on two things.

1). Can Lowry adjust his strategies? It is no secret that we're playing a very individual game, relying more on individual talent to score goals than using our highly skilled roster for a more sustainable cooperative approach to offense. Our defense and goaltending have been fairly shaky, and the shift lengths need to be shortened. 35-45 seconds would be ideal.

2). Can the 96ers step up their game? Aside from Sanheim and Hickey, the 19 year olds have been really disappointing. Virtanen has struggled, Perlini hasn't contributed much, Point isn't the force we thought he would be, Mckeown, and Fleury have been questionable at best, Hicketts hasn't lived up to the letter on his sweater and I can't remember a single chance created or finished by Quenneville. Our best players so far have been from 97 (Strome, Barzal, Marner, Chabot, Crouse) with Hickey and Sanheim as exceptions.

If Lowry pulls his head out of his bum and the 19 year olds can raise their game, I don't see why we can't repeat, but we won't be cruising to the finals like last year's team.

Fragmuffin

Aug 20, 2013
Zagreb
Hopefully Sweden plays this one a gear lower. Secure of a 1st spot and with nothing to prove, they should just try To avoid injuries and fatigue.

Play a safe, dull game and watch out for headhunters.

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
Hardest game this tournament Sweden have hard time to win against Canada i dont know why... but this game Sweden should win.

Say 5-3

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Hoping for the best, but I'm just about ready to pack it in for this tournament...for TC anyway. I've lost all confidence in the coach. but once our fate is sealed a potential USA-Russia 1/2 final or final will be theeeeeeeeeeeeeeee most intriguing matchup and the one I'll be looking forward to seeing more than any other scenario out there.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I'm a bit disappointed the game doesn't mean anything, the New Year's Eve games for the group win rock, often times more than the final(could be the booze too, tho). Could still be a good game, hopefully it won't be riddled with penalties.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
The results of this game and for Canada going forward depend on two things.

1). Can Lowry adjust his strategies? It is no secret that we're playing a very individual game, relying more on individual talent to score goals than using our highly skilled roster for a more sustainable cooperative approach to offense. Our defense and goaltending have been fairly shaky, and the shift lengths need to be shortened. 35-45 seconds would be ideal.

2). Can the 96ers step up their game? Aside from Sanheim and Hickey, the 19 year olds have been really disappointing. Virtanen has struggled, Perlini hasn't contributed much, Point isn't the force we thought he would be, Mckeown, and Fleury have been questionable at best, Hicketts hasn't lived up to the letter on his sweater and I can't remember a single chance created or finished by Quenneville. Our best players so far have been from 97 (Strome, Barzal, Marner, Chabot, Crouse) with Hickey and Sanheim as exceptions.

If Lowry pulls his head out of his bum and the 19 year olds can raise their game, I don't see why we can't repeat, but we won't be cruising to the finals like last year's team.

Which is funny, because here in Victoria, Lowry is given a team where the offence is very wide-spread across the team, with no big time scorers on the roster, so you'd think Lowry would be able to incorporate some more teamwork to the mix.

I agree with most of 2, although I felt after a rough 1st game Hicketts has redeemed himself on the back end.

canswetoxic

Dec 29, 2015
Toronto
Sweden should plays it low-key, I don't think they will give 100% at all which I don't mind. Spare the energy for knock out rounds.
Please no injuries, you know Kanada is always something when things doesn't go their-ways.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
It will be interesting to see how our D handles the Canadian forecheck this time compared to the pre tournament game.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Sure they are on cruise control - should teach em a lesson on looking past any game in this tourney. Keep your heads up, here's hoping for a good, clean (but hard) hitting game.

Davebo*

Will be curious to see how much gas Canada has in the tank.

And if Lowry still thinks 2-3 minute shifts are a good thing :laugh:

The Swedes are a big, talented team and this should be an entertaining game :)

Gas isn't the problem. I can safely say that Canadians play more hockey every season than most other nations, so how is 'gas' a problem?

Canada needs a coach with a plan - that is all.

MrStench

Dec 12, 2009
Sweden should plays it low-key, I don't think they will give 100% at all which I don't mind. Spare the energy for knock out rounds.
Please no injuries, you know Kanada is always something when things doesn't go their-ways.

And why wouldn't Canada be just as concerned with avoiding injuries? They'll come third whether they win lose or draw, assuming the US beat Denmark.

I really don't see the point of comments like this.

Salming

Mar 17, 2002
Sweden
Visit site
aohyro, you're embarassing us swedes here with that old svullo video ( may he rip though)

Holmström looks really awkward out there. He might be injured or something. However Ehn has looked real sharp not only in his defensive role but also as a puck carrier and passer. If I were Grönis, I would try him centering our top line... remember Zetterberg at the wjc anyone?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I could be wrong but unless the US loses to Denmark in regulation this game is meaningless for standing purposes?

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
Hardest game this tournament Sweden have hard time to win against Canada i dont know why... but this game Sweden should win.

Say 5-3

Swedens toughest opponent has "always" been the US. 1st win this year against them since '96 says it all.

With all due respect to Canada, im not really surprised that they have been struggling to be honest, but you can never count them out of it. They can easily win this game if they start clicking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad