GDT: Group A • Dec. 30 • Sweden 9, Slovakia 1

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
For the third straight game, Slovakia has played very well in the neutral zone. I think it is very smart, and will help against Switzerland tomorrow.

wwvdw

Dec 22, 2009
Sweden
Swedish media doesn't know the difference between juniorkronorna and småkronorna. Aftonbladet, Expressen, SVD, etc. all make the same mistake.

I blame Wikegård for that, but at least he's a good commentator.

Son of Krypton

If Challe Berglund is the one commenting this game, the I totally agree. The way he gets overexcited at the Swedish goals in a game like this is irritating to say the least.
Nah. You're thinking of Niklas Holmgren.
I can see why some people hate him, but I really enjoy his enthusiasm.

Challe is the colorless color guy.
He was way more fun back when he was coaching and gave media a hard time.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Nah. You're thinking of Niklas Holmgren.
I can see why some people hate him, but I really enjoy his enthusiasm.

Challe is the colorless color guy.
He was way more fun back when he was coaching and gave media a hard time.

Haha, okay. Maybe it´s irritating me, because it reminds me of the Slovak commentators who have the tendency to do the same in pretty much any sport.

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
Aside from the goals he's scored, that's exactly how he has played for most of the season.
I said before the tournament that IMHO he's overrated. I can see why he was drafted so high, he has a ton of skills but he just can't be consistent or for the most part create something using his skills. Definitely has top talent skills but seems to me he doesn't know how to use them that much or to be consistent.

wwvdw

Dec 22, 2009
Sweden
What the **** is this ****, aired on channel 10 in Sweden?? How has that piece of **** channel??

chill-pill-demotivational-poster-12.jpg

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
Swedish media doesn't know the difference between juniorkronorna and småkronorna. Aftonbladet, Expressen, SVD, etc. all make the same mistake.
LOL in Latvia we also have specific terms in Latvian for U18 and U20 teams but media also confuse them all the time and don't know what's what so they stick with much safer U20 and U18 often :laugh:

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
Compare him to other 18 year olds in the tournament and what do you see.

Lots of the same. Except when Mika flashes skills, it's very high end.

Well I have been more impressed by Friberg (obviously), Karlsson, and Rackell, who are all 2011 draftees.

I'm trying to pay close attention to Zibanejad but I see him taking these wide turns and often being far away from the actual play. Then in the offensive zone he spends some shifts kind of floating around, not even particularly getting himself into good position to shoot.

Now I'm aware that he's playing wing and he may not really have the positioning down pat yet. But even with the puck, when he gets it a lot of the time he just shoots it immediately (which has paid some dividends, obviously) or passes it off. I'd bet if you could track puck possession for individual Swedish forwards he'd be really low on the list and I don't see why he should be. Other teams are starting to be aware of the Brodin to Zibanejad pass strategy and get quickly up on Zibanejad to take away the shot when Brodin has it in between the points. Also the goalie is anticipating that play and is preparing to come across quickly.

Zibby could overcome that defence by either driving around the opposition forward or feathering a pass to the middle of the ice or across or whatever, but he's just shooting anyway.

Now granted I haven't seen every shift he's played so far here but even allowing for some difficulty with the positioning of wing and for youthfulness I don't think I'm in the wrong for hoping for more from him when he actually has the puck given his incredible abilities. Forsberg's certainly doing more than him and he hasn't even been drafted yet. Is he that much better a prospect? Zibby went 6th over-all...

Also he seems to fall down a lot but I don't really know what to make of that.

Brodin is a beauty, though. Looks like OEL a bit.

EDIT: Sorry to be a broken record about this but Sens fans really are pinning a lot of hope on Zibby to be a top-3 forward for us long-term. I mean also we can allow for this sort of stuff (just flashes) when he's playing against players way older than him, but he's basically playing against his age group in this tournament.

wwvdw

Dec 22, 2009
Sweden
How was that even a penalty?!

It was one milisecond after he played the puck and right in the chest....

Is that ref trolling Friberg?

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
This has been the roughest game I've seen so far, I think. These Slovaks really throw the body.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
So the refs don't think hitting is part of the game or Friberg is not allowed to hit the baby Slovaks..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad