GDT: Group A • Dec. 28 • Sweden 4, Switzerland 3 (SO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009
It wasnt that big, but some some swedish players were complaining on the media about it.. guess they were so pissed of they had to complain about something. However its ot anyway.

Yeah well, they fell apart big time in the finals so some of them probably lost it and took it as a slight even though it wasn't.

Latex*

The celebration was a bit too much IMO, but whatever. He's allowed to do that if he wants to.

What would be hilarious is if he did that to Team Canada. The chaos around here would get seriously out of hand.

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009
The celebration was a bit too much IMO, but whatever. He's allowed to do that if he wants to.

What would be hilarious is if he did that to Team Canada. The chaos around here would get seriously out of hand.

Vancouver riots would pale in comparision, it would be a declaration of war :laugh:

Macman

May 15, 2004
Actually Celio (swiss coach) comments something interesting : it is his problem, not mine. He has to deal with it.

Meaning ... it doesn't disturb me at all (not my problem).

You conveniently left out the first part of his quote where he says there's no place in the game for that. He clearly did have a problem with it.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
He took the cup, did 360 spin with it (thats why swedes complained, because he was facing them for 0,3 seconds) and then skated to hes team-mates celebrating. He did the spin to show the cup for the finnish fans all around the rink, there were plenty of in the swedish end too behind the goal. He did nothing wrong, thats why I want to pull this up. Its fun how swedes now are like "how could someone get hurt of that" and they themselfs whined for absolutely nothing :laugh: I can search the video for this also if needed..

Not saying all swedes were whining.. but still the situation here is kinda funny to my ear because of that
I've never even heard of it? Was it on HFboards?

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Conservative Canadian hockey mentality: It's ok and very manly to sucker punch somebody in the face without a reason but celebrating while skating by the opponents bench it's a big no no, it's against the rules.

Now I have to watch this great celebration from Max Friberg one more time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTi2rdRF9Lw

One last thing, the Swiss played a great game.

DaveH

Oct 9, 2011
Maybe you should take a look at the video on TSN. There is no doubt he did it in front of the Swiss bench. There's even a brief comment from the Swiss coach.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/

For the record, I think people are making too much of it.

Couldnt care less. My smirk was about people always bringing up "I was there" as if they always have a better spot than those with 10/endless replays of the incident.

The point here, however, is people accusing someone of something when they have no clue of his intentions whatsoever. Doing something on the ICE, while not pointing, stopping or saying anything (or any other offensive gesture aimed at the nation) at the opponents bench will NEVER be a misconduct in my book. He is celebrating, doing so with a well known and classic hockey celebration... as he passes by a bench.

Are you allowed to grin because you are happy as you skate by the opponents bench? In my view, its just as bad as anything else, in that case.

And to the people pulling out their "When in Rome..."
This isnt the NHL and its hidden rules doesnt apply, this is an IIHF tournament played in Calgary and Edmonton. People can shove their "dont do this in america" up their behind. I love the NHL and most of the values that the league and its players share - but stop trying to force this on a kid that have never set his foot there.

To those saying they are referring to IIHF rules - fine. All I am saying, the kid was under pressure. He was happy he delivered and he brought something extra, and in my view he didnt aim it at anyone except maybe his teammates.

DaveH

Oct 9, 2011
You conveniently left out the first part of his quote where he says there's no place in the game for that. He clearly did have a problem with it.

No, that is your interpretation of what he said. My interpretation is "his celebration isnt something part of the _actual_ game and that's why I dont want to comment on it". Hence the "its his problem, not mine".

DaveH

Oct 9, 2011
But dont celebrate the World Championship gold in front of Swedes when they've just lost, while other things are just fine that seems to be its exception to this rule:sarcasm:

them whining about Koivu showing the Cup for them when picking it up right after the game

Interesting, since this is something you still remember - would you like to share it with us? What players complained etc. I've never heard anything about this, thats why I am asking.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Great game. Swiss team really impressed me with their determination. They deserved that tying goal. As for the goal celebration, I can see why the opposing team wouldn't like it but I don't see why fans of the game get so upset about kids doing stuff like this. They're young kids playing on a huge stage with international attention. Especially in a tournament of this nature, every goal you score is huge and means something to your team...let them celebrate. It's not like he dropped his stick on the ice and starting doing the Hulk Hogan ear cupping to the crowd.

Macman

May 15, 2004
No, that is your interpretation of what he said. My interpretation is "his celebration isnt something part of the _actual_ game and that's why I dont want to comment on it". Hence the "its his problem, not mine".

The problem with that is "actual" is your word not his. He was clearly unimpressed, but whatever.

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
I hope, for their own credibility, that the Canadians who are whining about a classless celebration also whined about their own coach calling a timeout with an 8-1 lead and less than 2 minutes to go against Finland the other day.

Kiefer

Jun 28, 2004
Sweden
Couldnt care less. My smirk was about people always bringing up "I was there" as if they always have a better spot than those with 10/endless replays of the incident.

The point here, however, is people accusing someone of something when they have no clue of his intentions whatsoever. Doing something on the ICE, while not pointing, stopping or saying anything (or any other offensive gesture aimed at the nation) at the opponents bench will NEVER be a misconduct in my book. He is celebrating, doing so with a well known and classic hockey celebration... as he passes by a bench.

Are you allowed to grin because you are happy as you skate by the opponents bench? In my view, its just as bad as anything else, in that case.

And to the people pulling out their "When in Rome..."
This isnt the NHL and its hidden rules doesnt apply, this is an IIHF tournament played in Calgary and Edmonton. People can shove their "dont do this in america" up their behind. I love the NHL and most of the values that the league and its players share - but stop trying to force this on a kid that have never set his foot there.

To those saying they are referring to IIHF rules - fine. All I am saying, the kid was under pressure. He was happy he delivered and he brought something extra, and in my view he didnt aim it at anyone except maybe his teammates.

This sums it up.

Latex*

I hope, for their own credibility, that the Canadians who are whining about a classless celebration also whined about their own coach calling a timeout with an 8-1 lead and less than 2 minutes to go against Finland the other day.

Yeah, and the celebrations went a bit overboard as well in that game, considering it was blowout like that.

Macman

May 15, 2004

Since you were obviously on the bench at the time, why don't you tell us what the timeout was about?

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009
How was Zibanejad in this game?

A mixed bag.
When he flashed he was clearly the best player on the ice. He took a lot of shots, some from "ovie angles". A worse goalie and he would have had a goal or two.

He also had periods where he was almost invisible.

Last edited:

krazyhawk

Jan 9, 2006
Montreal/Nova Scotia
These guys never knew the difference between Swiss and Swedish. No use in trying to explain either. You should be happy if you can get them to point out the Atlantic Ocean on a map.

Now who's being an arrogant a**? What the hell are you so angry about?

So a lot of people didn't like what the kid did,big deal.Just like you,they're entitled to their opinion be it right or wrong.You want to talk about classless,read the above quote for a classic example.

And for the record,IMO the only thing wrong with the kid's celebration was timing.On a gametying or go-ahead goal late in a game it wouldn't be perceived as anything other than a celebration.But in a shoot-out with others still left to shoot it was seen by most fans(not just canadians) as unsportsmanlike.Officials obviously thought so too as they gave a misconduct to him.Not sure what they called it,but I'd guess either unsportsmanlike conduct or taunting(does the IIHF even have a penalty for taunting?)

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
As I've said before his actions were NOT classless, he was happy, on the biggest stage of his career so far. Even a player scoring and pointing to the crest on his sweater (jersey) isn't classless. Or jumping into the glass after scoring, regardless of the score.
They're in one of the most emotional times of their lives, let them be happy and celebrate.
As for the Canadian coach calling the time out, my understanding was because he thought some of the players were getting a bit too emotional so he wanted to calm them down.
When you really think about all this, it's just a bloody game. But sports do seem to bring out the worst in some people.

Canadian Ottawa fans hate Canadian Toronto fans.
American Philly fans hate American Pittsburgh fans.
etc
etc
etc

It is rather silly, isn't it?:laugh:

Macman

May 15, 2004
Classless? Naw. Innapropriate? Yes. But he's a kid and kids do a lot of innapropriate, immature things. I gaurantee he wouldn't do that at age 25, just like Canadian players didn't flap their sweater fronts in Vancouver. I hated it when Brayden Schenn did it last year in Buffalo, just like I did when the Russians did it in North Dakota vs. the U.S.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
You are correct, nothing wrong with it all and in fact I think it's pretty cool. But booing the American and Swedish teams when they aren't even playing the host nation is idiotic and beyond sad behaviour.

Oh and that celebration was great, you can always count on the dinosaurs to come and whine when someone dares to show some personality on the ice.

PS. There is no such thing as "free" healthcare.

I disagree. Just because "your" team isn't playing doesn't mean you can't boo the team you don't want to win at a game.

Yankee fans would never cheer for the Red Sox and would show it vehemently if they were at a game between the Red Sox and any team.

Yes I'm aware there's no such thing as "free" health care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad