GDT: Group A • Dec. 26 • Latvia 4, Sweden 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
If Larsson is out for the tourney this was more a loss than a win. Obviously I hope he be back asap.

Sweden cant afford these injuries, if we're to get a sniff at a medal.

J Lars is great, but Sweden has a lot of stars. good team.

Zib is the new captain i think if Johan is to be gone for the rest of the tourney. Hopefully not!

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I was not very impressed by Zibanejad's performance overall, but man can he shoot the puck, he's like a Persian version of Stamkos out there.

I'm also hearing that Larsson should be back soon.
http://www.hockeysverige.se/article/12680795/han-ar-snart-tillbaka (Swedish site, use google translate if you have to)

Zibanejad is a Swede and a Swedish citizen, ok? ;-)

I don't give a damn where his father or mother comes from, only in Sweden this is important. :shakehead

If it mattered I guess you could say he is like a Finnish version of Stamkos as well?

Please stop this skitnack. ;-)

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
ehm, haha. Friberg scores 4 goals and didnt get player of the game. Forsberg played great this game but yeah.. what the hell?

Lol guys, you know nothing of this game. Hockey isn't about goals. It's all about skating on ice. Not as pretty as a figure skating, but more brutal though. People, you know, like brutality. That's why it's popular.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Sundström will be the captain when/if Larsson is out. Letters against Denmark were C: Sundström. A's: Nordström, Klefbom.

wwvdw

Dec 22, 2009
Sweden
Lol guys, you know nothing of this game. Hockey isn't about goals. It's all about skating on ice. Not as pretty as a figure skating, but more brutal though. People, you know, like brutality. That's why it's popular.

Hockey is all about goals, its the only thing you look at when determining who won the game....

That said, you can make other contributions to a team then score goals and be important in that way. Friberg wasn't all that convincing yesterday but he did get 4 goals, that makes him the most valuable but perhaps not the best player. Forsberg was perhaps one of the best in the first period but he couldn't impose himself in the same way later in the game. For me Thorell was perhaps the best player, he did everything right. He took the puck to the net, played an aggressive forecheck which forced turnovers, was awesome on the PK and had a goal and an assist. But that's me.

DSL

Jun 30, 2011

I don't give a damn where his father or mother comes from, only in Sweden this is important. :shakehead

If it mattered I guess you could say he is like a Finnish version of Stamkos as well?

Yea, I know he's Swedish, what I meant to say is that he looks like a persian. And I think that's awesome, he's by far the coolest looking player on the team.

For all I know he could be extra knäcking as a superhero :sarcasm:
e82bd3b4.jpg

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus

There is of course a difference between an ethnic Swede, someone who was born here but whos parents were born outside of Sweden, and someone who was born outside of Sweden who has a Swedish citizenship.

Ethnicity doesn't and can't change, citizenship can (just ask Ulf Samuelsson ;)).

I do realize that we live in a globilized world, but a cat doesn't become a cow just because it moves out to the barn.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
There is of course a difference between an ethnic Swede, someone who was born here but whos parents were born outside of Sweden, and someone who was born outside of Sweden who has a Swedish citizenship.

Ethnicity doesn't and can't change, citizenship can (just ask Ulf Samuelsson ;)).

I do realize that we live in a globilized world, but a cat doesn't become a cow just because it moves out to the barn.

This is way OT but... ok:

In Sweden quite a lot of people seem to judge or categorize a person from his heritage, especially if you are an immigrant or second generation immigrant (one or both of your parents born outside Sweden). Putting a stamp on a person, calling him "Turkish", "Iranian", "Immigrant", or whatever, because of his parents.

In the USA I feel that most people don't give a **** about where your parents comes from. You get judged from your actions.

I strongly prefer the latter.

You can call Zibanejad Persian because of his father, Finnish because of his mother or whatever.

Zibanejad is a Swedish citizen and a Swedish hockeyplayer part of our Swedish national team.

and how do you define an "ethnic swede". Lived/based in Sweden for at least 10 generation or since the Viking age?

Last edited:

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009
This is way OT but... ok:

In Sweden quite a lot of people seem to judge or categorize a person from his heritage, especially if you are an immigrant or second generation immigrant (one or both of your parents born outside Sweden). Putting a stamp on a person, calling him "Turkish", "Iranian", "Immigrant", or whatever, because of his parents.

In the USA I feel that most people don't give a **** about where your parents comes from. You get judged from your actions.

I strongly prefer the latter.

You can call Zibanejad Persian because of his father, Finnish because of his mother or whatever.

Zibanejad is a Swedish citizen and a Swedish hockeyplayer part of our Swedish national team.

and how do you define an "ethnic swede". Lived/based in Sweden for at least 10 generation or since the Viking age?

Bolded part is ********.

SashaMesic

Aug 18, 2008

As an American-Swede I think your feeling is way off..

Sure, you get judged from your actions, but that's what you get in Sweden too.
Americans, including myself, are generally really proud of their heritage because USA is no nation-state, like the European countries are.
Go watch an episode of that SVT-production where Americans get to seek out their roots in Sweden and you'll see how much history and heritage means to these individuals.

Know thy history, know thyself, is something I heard a lot as a kid growing up in southern Cali.

It doesn't get any harder than generalizing (Or search the internet - just to find the same answer).

White skin, all sorts of bright eyes, and all sorts of bright hair.

Anyone can be a Swedish citizen, there is however a great deal of difference in citizenship and ethnicity as Nordic pointed out.

Comparing USA to Europe concerning this is pretty worthless by the way. Since Europe was, and still is made up by nation-states. I.e. pretty much 100% of the population look the same, have the same culture, and so on...
The US on the other hand was formed by people from all over the world, and the country have had a highly diverse population from day one, ethnicity-wise, culture-wise, and so on...
Whereas Sweden from day one was made up of pretty much only Swedes.

None has ever questioned that.

Last edited:

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
As an American-Swede I think your feeling is way off..

Sure, you get judged from your actions, but that's what you get in Sweden too.
Americans, including myself, are generally really proud of their heritage because USA is no nation-state, like the European countries are.
Go watch an episode of that SVT-production where Americans get to seek out their roots in Sweden and you'll see how much history and heritage means to these individuals.

Know thy history, know thyself, is something I heard a lot as a kid growing up in southern Cali.

It doesn't get any harder than generalizing (Or search the internet - just to find the same answer).

Anyone can be a Swedish citizen, there is however a great deal of difference in citizenship and ethnicity as Nordic pointed out.

Comparing USA to Europe concerning this is pretty worthless by the way since Europe was, and still is made up by nation-states. I.e. pretty much 100% of the population look the same, have the same culture, and so on...
The US on the other hand was formed by people from all over the world, and have had a highly diverse population from day one.
Whereas Sweden from day one was made up of pretty much only Swedes.

Well... I don't have the energy to make a long reply right now, maybe later. ;-)

Hopefully most people feel proud of their roots! :-D

What I react on is categorizing people, prejudging people, putting a stamp on people based on where your parent or parents comes from.

In Sweden you hear a lot of "country/origin categorizing" in a very negative way... talking about first and second immigrants in a very negative way. Blaming them for unemployment and degradation of our society etc, etc... Bunching people together and naming them "Immigrants", "Gypsies", "Turks", "Iranians".

Sometimes in a very unfriendly way, believe me.

Maybe I got the wrong impression during my visits in the USA but I didn't feel this way, less of prejudging and more judging people from their actions, the way it should be.

I thought this had a to do with USA being built by people from all over the world and being a very multicultural country?

But perhaps I was mistaken?

Exalted User
Dec 14, 2010
Babylon

The problem with these criteria is that they could also describe a Finn a Latvian, Estonian or an Australian.

It would be very difficult to tell them apart if placing them next to each other and unless you want to get down to genetics there are usually no way of telling.

People can argue this all day every day, forever. I think that what's imortant is that Zib is a Swedish citizen firs of all, he's been living in Sweden all his life and he's ben developed in the swedish hockey system. To top that of he's playing on the swedish national team. In fact i would not care if he was half horse half pidgeon.

I for one consider him being more Swedish than the descendants of the so called utvandrare that's living on an entirely different continent, and that's just for starters. After all, their ancestors chose to abandon this country to try their luck else where.

This is OT...

SashaMesic

Aug 18, 2008
The problem with these criteria is that they could also describe a Finn a Latvian, Estonian or an Australian.

Yeah, but you cannot describe a Chinese, African, Indian or Aborigines with the same criteria.

Latvians and Estonians are close to us, geographically and ethnicity-wise (They are a german*-finn-slav**-mix). These two countries have one important thing in common with Sweden, they have had a history of being a nation-state, just as Sweden. And with Sweden ruling both Latvia and Estonia for a great chunk of years I'd say it's easy to come to the conclusion that our forefathers hooked up with some Baltic babes back in the days.
Which of course has brought our two/three populations closer in terms of looks...

* - (I.e. Swedes, Norwegians, Danes, Icelanders and Germans)
** - (I.e. Russians, Czech, Poles, and pretty much all of Eastern Europe)

Australia on the other hand is another non nation-state example.

There's no ethnicity called "Australian", just as there are no ethnicity called "American". This is since Americans and Australians comes in all different sorts of colors, and sizes. :)

There is however a ethnicity called "Swedish". I.e. White, all sorts of bright eyes and all sorts of bright hair.
Just as there is a Japanese ethnicity, a Persian ethnicity, Kenyan ethnicity and so on.. All of which are examples of other nation-states.

People can argue this all day every day, forever. I think that what's imortant is that Zib is a Swedish citizen firs of all, he's been living in Sweden all his life and he's ben developed in the swedish hockey system. To top that of he's playing on the swedish national team. In fact i would not care if he was half horse half pidgeon.

Of course that's the most important thing in this argue. :yo:

21 said:
In Sweden you hear a lot of "country/origin categorizing" in a very negative way... talking about first and second immigrants in a very negative way. Blaming them for unemployment and degradation of our society etc, etc... Bunching people together and naming them "Immigrants", "Gypsies", "Turks", "Iranians".

Sometimes in a very unfriendly way, believe me.

Yeah, I know but I'd say things have started to get out of hand, that is why people are reacting. I wouldn't blame the people of this country though they are not the ones responsible. Blame your government, they are single-handedly the ones who have created this; bunching people together, hate, and the so called "Vi-och-dom"-samhället.

Maybe I got the wrong impression during my visits in the USA but I didn't feel this way, less of prejudging and more judging people from their actions, the way it should be.

I'd say Sweden is pretty much the same. Have in mind we're by far one of the most tolerant countries in Europe.

But yeah this is OT. :laugh:

Last edited:

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm

Haha, that made me chuckle. No offense to americans at all, but I would think the truth is closer to the complete opposite of this statement. :)

Anyway, to me there's no question that Zib is a swede, despite his heritage. He has obviously been raised here and has adapted the culture. I think swedes in general are very tolerant with people from other cultures, but even we have limits, and I think it's starting to surface in the political climate as of late. Mind you, personally I blame the politicians more than the immigrants for not adapating. The most important part of an immigration policy is to make sure people can adapt and quickly get into a society. That hasn't been done well enough, if you look at our suburbs. Our politicians were way too naive in hoping that the cultural gap wouldn't be as big as it has been.

Anyway, this is quite off topic, but I still feel we should be able to discuss these things without derailing things too much. It's quite possibly the most important domestic political question we have to solve the next 15 years, so having an open debate about it is the least we can start with.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I was not very impressed by Zibanejad's performance overall, but man can he shoot the puck, he's like a Persian version of Stamkos out there.

He was better in the game against Canada. It's not exactly the best time to evaluate guys in 9-4 games. Aside from 4 goals I didn't think Friberg did much either :dunno:

Seriously though, that shot is something we've seen before from him and I think it's just proof its gonna be something he's put in a position to do for a long time. The ability to score from range like that is what makes players big time goal scorers, especially as this guys shown the ability to score in all types of different ways as well.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
After the Latvia game, though, he wasn’t saying a word. His coach, Roger Ronnberg, refused to make Zibanejad available to the media. Was he injured? Was there mystery afoot?

“He’s unavailable,†was all one stone-faced Swedish official said of Zibanejad. The coach offered a little more.

“It’s nice to see him shooting the puck,†Ronnberg said. “I think we saw some glimpses of his offensive skills with his skating, too. He’s also a player that works hard on defence and finishes hits. He was really good backchecking today.â€

Anyone know what this is about?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...anejad-not-your-typical-swede/article2284112/

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Latvians and Estonians are close to us, geographically and ethnicity-wise (They are a german*-finn-slav**-mix).
This is probably as far off the topic as humanly possible, but you're confusing ethnicity with anthropology here. :)

Ethnicity-wise we're Latvian and Estonian. Latvians are Baltic. Estonians are Finnic. Those aren't mixes of something, those are separate groups.

Anthropology-wise terms like "finn", "german" or "slav" are meaningless, those are linguistic groupings. And if we're talking about anthropology or genetics, we're all intermingled in Northern Europe, yes. But it hasn't got much to do with the Swedish Kingdom, a German nobility or Danish attempts :)propeller) at colonization, but rather mass migrations that took place way before, thousands of years ago.

Here's a nice map: http://eo.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dosiero:Light_hair_coloration_map.png

[/racism]
[/OT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad