Confirmed with Link: Grigorenko signs [1 year $1.3M]

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I would have liked a two year deal at maybe a million more but this is still good.

He's an RFA next year too so he has an opportunity to get paid if he has a good season. Crazy to believe he will be a 29 year old RFA.

Such is the life of an Avs fan. Don't have to worry about management gambling on a young player, only the old ones.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Such is the life of an Avs fan. Don't have to worry about management gambling on a young player, only the old ones.

I don't know the full story, but I can say that the Avs did try to get some term here at one point. It just wasn't palatable. IMO the Avs didn't handle this negotiation well, but I don't think it will hurt them in the end.

If Grigo breaks out next season and deserves to get paid, that is a good problem for the Avs to have... and they will have cap room to deal with it.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
It probably doesn't. But what happens in arbitration if a team cannot possibly afford what the player is asking for if they want to stay under the cap?

I'm not a CBA expert, but i don't think the arbitrator takes a team's cap situation into consideration.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't know the full story, but I can say that the Avs did try to get some term here at one point. It just wasn't palatable. IMO the Avs didn't handle this negotiation well, but I don't think it will hurt them in the end.

If Grigo breaks out next season and deserves to get paid, that is a good problem for the Avs to have... and they will have cap room to deal with it.

I think next off-season will be key, as if he proves him self to be a 40+ point player, they'll need to take a much more calculated risk on him.

More like 2-3M for 3-5 years. If they can pull off something like that (assuming hes worth it, and continues an upward trajectory), then I'll be happy.

I'm curious, for people other than myself and a few other Greg fans/homers that already view Greg as a potential core forward (like Mikko). How many points does he need to get next year to become part of the core? Is it just 40 points, and solid progression? Or will he need to blow the doors off and approach 50 points?

He is certainly young enough, and certainly has the offensive talent/potential, and pedigree.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm not a CBA expert, but i don't think the arbitrator takes a team's cap situation into consideration.

It is explicitly stated that a cap situation cannot be taken into account. Barrie isn't getting $7m in arbitration though.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm curious, for people other than myself and a few other Greg fans/homers that already view Greg as a potential core forward (like Mikko). How many points does he need to get next year to become part of the core? Is it just 40 points, and solid progression? Or will he need to blow the doors off and approach 50 points?

Probably more about role than points for me. If he solidifies himself as a top 6 player and not just by default. Obviously he will need some points for that but the difference between 40 and 50 to me isn't all that great. I consider myself a fan of Grigo but I think he'll end up being more of a tweener, but that's still valuable. If we have the luxury of putting him on the third line in the future then this team will be in good shape. But if he grabs that top 6 role and solidifies himself there then that's great too.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
For Grigo to be a 'core' forward, he has to put up a big season. Probably around a 60 point season. For him to just be a good complimentary piece that you want to hold on to... he needs to put up solid offense (35+ is probably fine), but effort is the big deal here. If he doesn't work, the Avs won't keep him around for just being a 35 point player. Players who produce that and work hard are on the free agent market in the 2-3m range every year.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I really like Greg, but I don't see him as a "core forward" in terms of offensive production. What I think he could develop into is a Soderberg, except a long-term version of him. He has a lot of the same strengths, what I'm hoping to see out of Greg this year is a bit more consistency with his effort and willingness to engage (this already improved leaps and bounds from the start of last year), and to see him more confident in the offensive zone. He has a really good chance to be one of those excellent secondary options that every team needs.

I hope he proves me wrong though and takes a giant leap forward and forces his way to becoming a core forward. He most definitely has the vision and playmaking abilities for it.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
For me Grigorenko doesn't have to improve his production. I guess a few more shots on goal wouldn't hurt but based on his stats it's fair to say that if he gets the ice time the stats will inflate.

I want to see Grigs work harder in puck battles and not be afraid to use his body. That's what I need. I don't mean he needs to hit everybody in sight. I don't care if he ever lays a hit. I just want him to use his big frame to separate himself from the opponents.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
There is potential there but at his age, you can't really pay him for that potential because someone with his skill set and hockey IQ should be better. If Avs are worried about elements in his work habits and professionalism, making him earn it every step of the way is reasonable and probably helps the player as well.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

He is certainly young enough, and certainly has the offensive talent/potential, and pedigree.

I'm in the fan category and think he'll be very good for this team, but I don't see him ever being a core forward. He'll be a complementary piece you try and keep as long as possible (similar to how the Hawks were with Shaw) but if push comes to shove, he could prove a casualty once his salary exceeds the space available.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I'm in the fan category and think he'll be very good for this team, but I don't see him ever being a core forward. He'll be a complementary piece you try and keep as long as possible (similar to how the Hawks were with Shaw) but if push comes to shove, he could prove a casualty once his salary exceeds the space available.

I'm a big fan of Grigorenko but I don't see him as one of the core players YET. However, I believe he has that capability with his skills, especially if he plays wing with Duchene and it works out with say Colborne at the other wing (instead of Iginla) rather than playing somewhere on the bottom 6. IIRC, Grigorenko looked somewhat lost after Duchene went out with an injury late last season. So he needs to develop that consistency and chemistry with his linemates. I'm thinking somewhere around 45 points for him although I think he's capable of more. I still believe the Sabres will regret letting Grigorenko go as much as they did Zadorov. And I don't think it was a loss in value for the Avs as between McGinn or Grigorenko.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
People are much higher on Colborne than I am.
I'll be happy if he locks down the 3rd line spot for a 3-5 years. If he becomes a lock in the top 6, I'll be beyond pleasantly surprised

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'll be surprised if Colborne is here after his contract. He is one of those players you don't mind paying 2-3m, but not one you will pay 4+. He will put up numbers (45-50 points) in his couple years here and some desperate GM will probably be dumb enough to pay him 4.5-5m per.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'll be surprised if Colborne is here after his contract. He is one of those players you don't mind paying 2-3m, but not one you will pay 4+. He will put up numbers (45-50 points) in his couple years here and some desperate GM will probably be dumb enough to pay him 4.5-5m per.

It's annoying with players who keep showing flashes of something great, but I guess if it was more than flashes they'd be 70 point players and not sign here as UFAs.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Before I post these stats I want to state that that Grigs is nowhere near ROR as a hockey player. Like not even in the same stratosphere. But I just noticed that Grigorenko only scored two less points than ROR last season at even strength despite playing 250 less even strength minutes. Something to think about if you want to feel better about the trade.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Before I post these stats I want to state that that Grigs is nowhere near ROR as a hockey player. Like not even in the same stratosphere. But I just noticed that Grigorenko only scored two less points than ROR last season at even strength despite playing 250 less even strength minutes. Something to think about if you want to feel better about the trade.

Wuh? For real?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Wuh? For real?

Yep. And people will argue that ROR played 3 less games but the difference in minutes is huge. 250 minutes at let's say 15 minutes a night ES works out to about 16-17 more games. Of course ROR plays much tougher competition, is better in all ends of the ice and is a better special teams player. But based on minutes played Grigorenko was a substantially better producer at even strength last season.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Yep. And people will argue that ROR played 3 less games but the difference in minutes is huge. 250 minutes at let's say 15 minutes a night ES works out to about 16-17 more games. Of course ROR plays much tougher competition, is better in all ends of the ice and is a better special teams player. But based on minutes played Grigorenko was a substantially better producer at even strength last season.

thats that dutchy effect. people forget that he's one of the very best 5v5 producers in the league

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
thats that dutchy effect. people forget that he's one of the very best 5v5 producers in the league

Yep. It's impacted Grigs positively and ROR negatively. ROR is a career 2.89GF/60 while on the ice with Duchene and a career 2.13 while away from him. A difference if .76 is pretty big. Especially when you consider that the sample size is massive.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
For me Grigorenko doesn't have to improve his production. I guess a few more shots on goal wouldn't hurt but based on his stats it's fair to say that if he gets the ice time the stats will inflate.

I want to see Grigs work harder in puck battles and not be afraid to use his body. That's what I need. I don't mean he needs to hit everybody in sight. I don't care if he ever lays a hit. I just want him to use his big frame to separate himself from the opponents.

This is exactly what I want to see. On top of that, sometimes Grigorenko floats on the offensive zone on the cycle. He plays a perimeter game and doesn't engage at times. I want him more involved in the corners and the dirty areas to get the puck.

I am confident in that Grigorenko will put up 40+ if he end up playing top 6 minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad