Confirmed with Link: Grigorenko signs [1 year $1.3M]

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Yay :clap:

Wish is was more like 1 mil for two years but with so many contracts likely coming off the books next year I can deal with 1.3 million.

He really had a great progression last year. If he manages to continue to get better he'll be a big part of this team in the future.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This leaves about ~7.1m in cap room for Barrie and potentially one more forward. Barrie at $6m and Pirri at $1m. :nod:

Going to be a very tight fit. Another move might have to be made in that scenario to give them some more wiggle room. Maybe dumping Mitchell and going with Compher in his spot at half the price.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Going to be a very tight fit. Another move might have to be made in that scenario to give them some more wiggle room. Maybe dumping Mitchell and going with Compher in his spot at half the price.

In that exact scenario, the Avs would have 60k in breathing room. Very close, but make some paper transactions with Bigras, or just start him for a month in the minors and that opens up quite a bit. Of course dumping a player would be better, but it can be made to work without any trades or salary dumps.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Tbh, I think if he has good linemates all year he can hit 50 points if everything goes well for him. Low end I see 30-35 points

I like it, would've preferred two years (think he would be a steal by the second) but seems fair. I think he'll be our breakout player this year.

Well I either wasn't as alone as I though in thinking Greg will break out next year, or I rubbed off on a few people with my constant homer posts lol.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
How much cap space do we gain from getting rid of Iginla's, Mitchell's, Tyutin's, Wiercioch's contracts, and Stuart's buyout?

And this is with just Zadorov and Grigorenko being the most noticeable guys to sign next year, Avs have put themselves in a good shape money wise.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
How much cap space do we gain from getting rid of Iginla's, Mitchell's, Tyutin's, Wiercioch's contracts, and Stuart's buyout?

And this is with just Zadorov and Grigorenko being the most noticeable guys to sign next year.

13.5M

We also lose another big chunk if we decide to keep Pickard over Varlamov.

There is currently 9M in dead money this season that will be replaced by less than 1M in salary for a 4th line forward. That's the way I like to look at it, all of those others will have to be replaced. We'll probably save some money on Mitchell though.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think it's a fair deal given how well he performed in the second half of the season. I like that the Avs believed in him enough to give him that much, it means they intend to give him the kind of higher end role that I think he deserves.

As others have said, if he has a breakout year and earns himself a big fat multi-million deal next year, it will be a win for both sides. We'll have both the cap space to pay him what he's worth and a quality young second line left winger along with it.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Ungrateful Russian :shakehead

The funny part is that he earned a top six spot by the end of the year, but his stat sheet won't tell you that. Unless maybe there is some of those fancy ones around somewhere that do.

I actually think he earned it with the work he put in, and Roy didn't make it easy either, despite his elder vet team mates trying to make it easy for him.

I think it's kind of hilarious the perception he has around our own fan base lol.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I really, really hope he has a breakout year. A 50-55 point season would be fantastic. The more contributing players the better. We already know his two-way game will be there, if he can take another step offensively it'll help this team a lot moving forward.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Hmm...I am happy with the settlement before arbitration but I am also kind miffed that it's only 1 year.
Sure it's a prove it contract for Grigs but damn, I wanted a 3 year deal or something where he goes nuts and is severely underpaid for 3 years.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I really, really hope he has a breakout year. A 50-55 point season would be fantastic. The more contributing players the better. We already know his two-way game will be there, if he can take another step offensively it'll help this team a lot moving forward.

It does not look like they attempted to replace him either, although we'll see if hes with Soderberg, or with one of Duchy/MacK to start.

If he does improve his skating as Roy suggested, and continues to learn how to use his body there is no reason he can't hit 50 IMO.

He sure as hell does not hurt his line-mates, and Duchy/MacK will bleed a lot of assists onto his stat sheet. Greg also showed really well on the power play, and continued to get some minutes there after the deadline acquisitions.

It should be a banner year for him I think, because the work ethic or lack there of perception was pretty much BS. He put in a lot of extra work with the coaching staff in puck protection, and stayed patient.

I think his assists totals will probably be around 30-40, the question is can he put up a bit better goal numbers around 15 or so. He was showing a bit more of a willingness to drive the net and shoot later in the year as well.

15G, 35A would be perfect, and not unreasonable if hes in the top six all year, and on the second unit power play.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I thought he was actually pretty good when he played in the top 6. About what he deserved IMO. Too small of a number to worry about.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
Wonder if with 1 year that makes him less likely to be claimed if he has a good year and the Avs can't protect him. Vegas may not want to deal with having to project his contract up and may choose someone else who is under contract.

I doubt that that's the reason though. Good money. Hopefully he has a good season and shows some skill with duchene or mackinnon

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
Really glad this didn't go to arbitration ! Love Grigs and I really hope he has an even better season this year. Hoping for a 40+ point season from him. He has all the tools to get the job done. It's great fun watching him evolve and become the something Buffalo thought was nothing.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Really glad this didn't go to arbitration ! Love Grigs and I really hope he has an even better season this year. Hoping for a 40+ point season from him. He has all the tools to get the job done. It's great fun watching him evolve and become the something Buffalo thought was nothing.

I think one of my biggest reasons for wanting him to hit 50 instead of 40, is because I think that will turn some heads around the league.

I'd be perfectly fine with 40 as a development step, but I'd also love to see him stomp all over those that have written him off. Hes done nothing but work hard at improving.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I think one of my biggest reasons for wanting him to hit 50 instead of 40, is because I think that will turn some heads around the league.

I'd be perfectly fine with 40 as a development step, but I'd also love to see him stomp all over those that have written him off. Hes done nothing but work hard at improving.

I want him to get 40, not get claimed by Vegas than the year after goes nuts and gets 60. :laugh:

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
Glad he's signed. I wonder if the Avs would ever consider paying Grigorenko a bit extra to rule out the possibility of paying Barrie $7M?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I would have liked a two year deal at maybe a million more but this is still good.

He's an RFA next year too so he has an opportunity to get paid if he has a good season. Crazy to believe he will be a 29 year old RFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad