gretzky article on saturday meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Greschner4 said:
Yep.

The whole thing was set up by Goodenow and the KoolAid drinkers to gain back control of the union and the negotiations. That's as obvious as can be.

Yup, and he tosses a spanner into the "impasse" works, by pretending that things were close, and it was simply a matter of a few million dollars separating the two sides.

bling

Jun 23, 2004
getnziggywidit said:
Thank you.

Anyone else?

Wanna recant your assertion bling?

Nah, I am sticking with it, I won't quibble over 45 or 44 million. That is not the issue, The issue is Bettman indicated he would most likely negotiate a higher cap number. That is my point. That was enough to stir up the hopes of many many people that the season could be saved if the two sides would just try a little harder.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
s3por2d said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bling
Daly tells Terry Frei that the P.A. asked the league to invite them to a meeting but it was supposed to all hush hush. That kind of explains a couple things, like where Gretz got his idea that is was the NHLPA's show.

That would seem to be a slight misrepresentation:

Quote:
NHL executive vice president Bill Daly reflected on the bizarre events Monday, explaining that he called NHLPA president Trevor Linden, a veteran Vancouver Canucks forward, and requested Saturday's meeting. But he said that came only after "a premier player" contacted commissioner Gary Bettman, implying the union's position was softening.

No. Not a misrepresentation at all. Did you actually read all of the article?

NHL executive vice president Bill Daly reflected on the bizarre events Monday, explaining that he called NHLPA president Trevor Linden, a veteran Vancouver Canucks forward, and requested Saturday's meeting. But he said that came only after "a premier player" contacted commissioner Gary Bettman, implying the union's position was softening.

Daly, the NHL's point man in the negotiations, said he was taken aback when the NHLPA issued an advisory Friday about the meeting and said the league had approached the union.

"We had agreed that the meeting was confidential," Daly said. "We had heard that certain factions among the players and agents had gone to the Players' Association, and that they were working on a new proposal to give us. We were told it was very important to them that we reach out to them first.

"That was communicated indirectly from a premier player to the commissioner. So that is the reason I called Trevor Thursday night. I clearly am the one who, quote, initiated contact in that sense. But then I was told on Friday that they would be bringing a proposal to the table. And that never happened."

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
bling said:
However just like nearly everyone on this board who felt the deal was imminent, many players were optomistic because of Bettmans words that a deal "could" get done at $45-$46 million, which they were told the NHLPA was willing to offer.
bling said:
Nah, I am sticking with it, I won't quibble over 45 or 44 million. That is not the issue, The issue is Bettman indicated he would most likely negotiate a higher cap number. That is my point. That was enough to stir up the hopes of many many people that the season could be saved if the two sides would just try a little harder.

I was looking for a recant of the first assertion that Bettman "said" a deal could get done at $45-$46 million.

Bettman indicating he might negotiate a higher cap number is different.

It may have been wishful thinking that gave you the idea a deal could be done at $45-$46 million, not the words of Bettman.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
sad thing is, who will have a bigger legacy after this? Gretzky for being one of the greatest athletes in the sport's history, or Goodenow, Saskin, Linden, and Damphousse for killing the sport?

I promptly dub them the Four Horsemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad