Gretzky and Lowe might enroll their sons at Shattuck-St. Mary's

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Word in Faribault is that Phoenix Coyotes coach Wayne Gretzky is considering enrolling one of his sons at Shattuck-St. Mary's to play hockey for coach Tom Ward. The same for a son of Edmonton Oilers general manager Kevin Lowe, who played with Gretzky with the Oilers.Shattuck-St. Mary's has produced NHL first-round draft picks Sidney Crosby of Pittsburgh and Zach Parise of New Jersey and is expected to have two more first-rounders — Jonathan Toews and Kyle Okoposo — chosen in June's NHL draft

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/columnists/charley_walters/14081886.htm

Plus Drew Stafford

Sammy*

kingpin_19 said:
Any idea how good these two are??
Lowes son is pretty good. He plays on the highest ranked pee-wee team in Alberta (Whitemud West Junior Oilers). Hes good , but he's not a star on the team (I dont know if he's a 1st year or a 2nd year kid, which as all is aware, makes an enormous difference).

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
:eek: Wow, those are some impressive names that school is turning out! Seems like they have quite the development program going on there. Good luck to both Lowe and Gretz's sons. I hope they follow in their father's footsteps.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
s7ark said:
:eek: Wow, those are some impressive names that school is turning out! Seems like they have quite the development program going on there. Good luck to both Lowe and Gretz's sons. I hope they follow in their father's footsteps.

They are impressive names, but the school has only a part in it. These aren't average players going in. The top players in North America will go to improve. They go in the best and come out the best.
It certainly has a solid reputation, though.

coppernblue

Apr 5, 2005
Its a good school, but the Notre Dame Hounds in Sask. is better I think still, a couple of my buddies went there.
Lecavalier, Richards, Curtis Joseph, umm i think Wendel Clarke
they all came outta there

Polar Man

Feb 17, 2006
coppernblue said:
Its a good school, but the Notre Dame Hounds in Sask. is better I think still, a couple of my buddies went there.
Lecavalier, Richards, Curtis Joseph, umm i think Wendel Clarke
they all came outta there

The Hounds havn't produced anyone special since Lecavalier and Richards left in '95. The program at Shattuck's is much more attractive place now than ND ever was.

Sammy*

Polar Man said:
The Hounds havn't produced anyone special since Lecavalier and Richards left in '95. The program at Shattuck's is much more attractive place now than ND ever was.
The fact that it has a way better pr department, & is arguably in a better locale doesnt mean its any better.
It certainly does attract more high calibre player's though. I'm just not certain the program is any better.
I also get the "impression" that Notre Dame may be alot more of a tougher/disciplinarian sort of environment, that alot of kids may not like (though in the end its probably good for them). I could be wrong on this though.

El_Scoobo

Aug 18, 2004
Your Imagination
Polar Man said:

How much has this school actually produced the player, though?? Crosby was well known as a superior talent prior to his entering that school. I'm sure they do a good job, don't get me wrong, but I think they "produce" better players because these players were better to begin with.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
personally i think the idea of sending your kid away to school at 14-15 to play hockey is stupid, it reaks of annoying soccer mom behind it.

Sammy*

boredmale said:
personally i think the idea of sending your kid away to school at 14-15 to play hockey is stupid, it reaks of annoying soccer mom behind it.
Soccer mom? Let me assure you many hockey parents make the worst soccer mom look like Mary Poppins.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Regarding the Canadian kids that have parked at Shattuck for a year or two: Shattuck is nothing more than the benefactor of Hockey Canada's restrictive rules prohibiting the elite 15-year-old player from moving his residence to play hockey. One of the sole exceptions to this rule is the ability to move to play hockey for a residential school. There are few if any such residential schools in Canada with quality hockey programs.

Make no mistake that neither Crosby nor Esposito would have gone to Shattuck had Hockey Canada rules permitted them to move to play in the BCHL or the USHL at 15 years old.

Back to the original point of this thread: if it is true that Gretzky and especially Lowe (as a Canadian resident) are considering sending their sons to Shattuck, then I never again want to see them appear at the Hockey Canada summits that examine the state of the Canadian hockey development system.

Last edited:

Sammy*

Juan said:
Back to the original point of this thread: if it is true that Gretzky and especially Lowe (as a Canadian resident) are considering sending their sons to Shattuck, then I never again want to see them appear at the Hockey Canada summits that examine the state of the Canadian hockey development system.
Well, I dunno if I agree with this. Maybe Lowe & Gretzky a firmly against Hockey Canadas stance on the issue.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Lionheart said:
Is there another besides Angelo? Because he is firmly entrenched on the Remparts...

As Juan eloquently explained it, Esposito went to Shattucks prior to getting drafted by the Remparts last summer. Same thing with Crosby, where he played there before playing the the Q.

Viking Penguin*

TY Gretzk is alright, he would have been a better player if he wasn't always getting so much attention though. Don't forget he is still very young.

Wild Thing

Child... please.
Feb 18, 2003
Way Down South
Visit site
TheFinalWord said:
They are impressive names, but the school has only a part in it. These aren't average players going in. The top players in North America will go to improve. They go in the best and come out the best.
It certainly has a solid reputation, though.

And fortunately for me (living here in Maplewood, Minnesota), it's only 40 miles away. It's been a rare privilege watching players like Crosby playing in my backyard. Maybe not that big a deal to you Canadians, who have junior teams on every streetcorner and more development programs than you can shake a stick at, but very few Americans get the opportunity to see players of that caliber in that age group. I'm really lucky.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Juan said:
Regarding the Canadian kids that have parked at Shattuck for a year or two: Shattuck is nothing more than the benefactor of Hockey Canada's restrictive rules prohibiting the elite 15-year-old player from moving his residence to play hockey. One of the sole exceptions to this rule is the ability to move to play hockey for a residential school. There are few if any such residential schools in Canada with quality hockey programs.

Make no mistake that neither Crosby nor Esposito would have gone to Shattuck had Hockey Canada rules permitted them to move to play in the BCHL or the USHL at 15 years old.

I think a prep school for an elite 14 or 15 year old is a better situation then tier 2 jr A. Just as much development, the competition is basically the same with a higher stress on skill and less physical play. So they still develop at a good physical rate while improving there skill. Canada should start some prep schools and put them in a tier 2 circut.

Shattuck St Marys isnt the only elite prep school. Mark Morris the former Clarkson Golden Knights coach, coachs Northwood Prep in Lake Placid New York. They beat Shattucks this weekend winning the Culver Military tournament. They went 10-1 against jr a competition this season. While having a much younger team then the jr teams. If I had a kid I would send him to one of these institutions. Not only is hockey stressed but so is academics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->