Gretzky and Lowe might enroll their sons at Shattuck-St. Mary's

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
bert said:
I think a prep school for an elite 14 or 15 year old is a better situation then tier 2 jr A. Just as much development, the competition is basically the same with a higher stress on skill and less physical play. So they still develop at a good physical rate while improving there skill. Canada should start some prep schools and put them in a tier 2 circut.

Shattuck St Marys isnt the only elite prep school. Mark Morris the former Clarkson Golden Knights coach, coachs Northwood Prep in Lake Placid New York. They beat Shattucks this weekend winning the Culver Military tournament. They went 10-1 against jr a competition this season. While having a much younger team then the jr teams. If I had a kid I would send him to one of these institutions. Not only is hockey stressed but so is academics.

I have seen Northwood play a couple of times in each of the last 4 seasons. They had an uncharacteristically good season this year. Traditionally they have been roughly on par with Canadian private schools like UCC or SAC, which I would characterize as high end midget programs.

In any event, none of these schools would have anything to offer hockey-wise to a player like Crosby. Frankly, I doubt he got very much out of his experience at Shattuck (as his 3+ PPG would attest) other than the opportunity to use the on-campus rink whenever he wanted. Like I said in my original post, it was a place for him to "park" for a year, nothing more.

Of course, neither Crosby nor Esposito would have ever even heard of Faribault, MN had the Tavares rule been in effect in the CHL at the time.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Juan said:
I have seen Northwood play a couple of times in each of the last 4 seasons. They had an uncharacteristically good season this year. Traditionally they have been roughly on par with Canadian private schools like UCC or SAC, which I would characterize as high end midget programs.

In any event, none of these schools would have anything to offer hockey-wise to a player like Crosby. Frankly, I doubt he got very much out of his experience at Shattuck (as his 3+ PPG would attest) other than the opportunity to use the on-campus rink whenever he wanted. Like I said in my original post, it was a place for his to "park" for a year, nothing more.

Of course, neither Crosby nor Esposito would have ever even heard of Faribault, MN had the Tavares rule been in effect in the CHL at the time.

Yes they did have there best season to date but it is also Morris's second season with the team. He finally got to put his stamp on the team with recruiting and systems. They will likely only improve from here on out.

I agree about the Crosby and Espisito comparison they were ready for major junior at a much younger age. Im talking more about the above average player that might not be ready for the physical aspect of tier 2. A couple years of prep school then moving on to the next level whether it be tier 2 div 1 or major junior.

Northwood has turned out some unbelievable players Conroy, Richter, Nilan, Therian to name a few. Including several outstanding nhl draft picks.

coppernblue

Apr 5, 2005
Shattuck's is really really good, when we played them in the Mac's tournement in Calgary a few years ago they wiped the ice with us. And we were good.

Sammy*

coppernblue said:
Shattuck's is really really good, when we played them in the Mac's tournement in Calgary a few years ago they wiped the ice with us. And we were good.
Well, they should be. Imagine if you took all the best Midget AAA players in Edmonton, played the together for a year & had them do battle. They would be pretty good too.
Shattucks gets all kinds of primiere players from across NA so its no wonder they clubbed you guys.

timmy12

Jun 25, 2005
According to this site SSM is currently ranked 3rd for AAA teams in the US. http://www.ushsho.com/midgetrankings.htm

The most suprising thing I see in those rankings is that Pittsburgh has 3 Midget AAA Major teams ranked in the top 25. I'm suprised that hockey is that good in the Pittsburgh area to support 3 top 25 AAA teams. Oh well, when the Pens leave, that will go away.

gibber1600

Aug 6, 2003
Great white north
coppernblue said:
Its a good school, but the Notre Dame Hounds in Sask. is better I think still, a couple of my buddies went there.
Lecavalier, Richards, Curtis Joseph, umm i think Wendel Clarke
they all came outta there
Rod Brind'Amour

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
Chuck Shick said:
wow I'm surprised Ty still has his head intact....eddie is a mean SOB and he does not like getting shown up...he peobably wanted to sink his stick into Ty's melon! :D

Actually, that photo is of Trevor Gretzky (their second son now 13) and it is not Ty their oldest son.

petrklima85

Apr 13, 2006
HAMILTON, ONTARIO
As far as I can remember,Gretzky hasn't lived in Canada since he was traded from the Oilers in 1988........does this mean that Ty Gretzky was born in the USA....and subsequently would be playing for USA if he ever got that far ?? Oh the irony.

It'd be another young American born in the USA while his Canadian daddy was playing professional hockey.........Parise, Garth Butcher's kid, Rick Vaive's kid, Foligno's kid, Basil Mac Rae, Stastny (dad wasn't Canadian but you get my drift) and Boom Boom Geofferion's grandson..

I saw a clip of Chelios' son on the ice at a Wings practice.......any word on his age and skill level

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
petrklima85 said:
As far as I can remember,Gretzky hasn't lived in Canada since he was traded from the Oilers in 1988........does this mean that Ty Gretzky was born in the USA....and subsequently would be playing for USA if he ever got that far ?? Oh the irony.

It'd be another young American born in the USA while his Canadian daddy was playing professional hockey.........Parise, Garth Butcher's kid, Rick Vaive's kid, Foligno's kid, Basil Mac Rae, Stastny (dad wasn't Canadian but you get my drift) and Boom Boom Geofferion's grandson..

I saw a clip of Chelios' son on the ice at a Wings practice.......any word on his age and skill level

All of Wayne and Janet's 5 kids were born in LA and they had dual citizenship- just as their dad has dual citizenship while Janet of course is American. Wayne made the comment years ago that they would play for the US if it ever came to that for any of them but I guess technically they could play for either the US or Canada. It will be interesting down the road what becomes of them- I know the second son Trevor is really into baseball and is on a traveling baseball team and is apparently pretty good.

1sabrestar

Feb 9, 2006
"Back to the original point of this thread: if it is true that Gretzky and especially Lowe (as a Canadian resident) are considering sending their sons to Shattuck, then I never again want to see them appear at the Hockey Canada summits that examine the state of the Canadian hockey development system." Juan

To Juan:

Besides Crosby, Ryan Malone, Ty Conklin, Patrick & Ben Eaves, as well as Zach Parise also attended Shattuck. Future NHL'ers, such as Drew Stafford, Matt Smaby, Jack Johnson, Angelo Esposito, Jonathan Toews, & Kyle Okposo also went to school there--quite an impressive list of North Americans!
Also, Shattuck is considered an International School that happens to be located in the U.S.--they also have hockey players from Scotland & England as well.

Last edited:

reidy

@reidjjackson
bert said:
I think a prep school for an elite 14 or 15 year old is a better situation then tier 2 jr A. Just as much development, the competition is basically the same with a higher stress on skill and less physical play. So they still develop at a good physical rate while improving there skill. Canada should start some prep schools and put them in a tier 2 circut.

Shattuck St Marys isnt the only elite prep school. Mark Morris the former Clarkson Golden Knights coach, coachs Northwood Prep in Lake Placid New York. They beat Shattucks this weekend winning the Culver Military tournament. They went 10-1 against jr a competition this season. While having a much younger team then the jr teams. If I had a kid I would send him to one of these institutions. Not only is hockey stressed but so is academics.

Cushing, St. Sebastians, Deerfield are some quality prep schools out East, too. St. Sebastian's in 2003 had 6 division-1 players, 4 who were drafted. They beat Shattucks that year.

LiveTheSearch

Jun 19, 2002
HB - WG
Visit site
RangerBoy said:
Word in Faribault is that Phoenix Coyotes coach Wayne Gretzky is considering enrolling one of his sons at Shattuck-St. Mary's to play hockey for coach Tom Ward. The same for a son of Edmonton Oilers general manager Kevin Lowe, who played with Gretzky with the Oilers.Shattuck-St. Mary's has produced NHL first-round draft picks Sidney Crosby of Pittsburgh and Zach Parise of New Jersey and is expected to have two more first-rounders — Jonathan Toews and Kyle Okoposo — chosen in June's NHL draft.

Last edited:

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga
I think that a lot of people are forgetting the Shattuck-St. Mary's is a Prep School moreso than a "hockey school".

Saying that Gretzky and Lowe are "traitors" (or something to that effect) is the same as calling Denham Brown's parents Canadian traitors for sending their kid to the University of Connecticut to play basketball; yes he's playing basketball but he's also getting a stellar education from one of the better universities in the US.

Sammy*

Nedved said:
I don't know about Wayne's kid, but I'd be surprised if Lowe's kid could crack a SSM Bantam AAA team, or in a couple of years the Midget AAA team. He's a good kid, but he's just your average player right now. Just in the Edmonton area alone, there are probably 20-25 better dmen then Lowe's son.
I think he's a 1st year kid playing on the top atom team in the Province.
If he is in fact a 1st year kid, I think he's a little better than you say.

Sammy*

Nedved said:
Actually, your thinking wrong. Keagan was not a 1st year Atom, he was a 2nd year Pee Wee. He was also not on the best Atom team in Alberta, he was on the best Pee Wee team in Alberta .... but that doesn't really mean anything, Cory Cross is on the best team in the NHL (pts wise) and that doesn't make him a geat dman. Lowe's improved over the last two years, but he still only an average dman. If SSM was picking there AAA team solely from the Edmonton area, all politics aside, Lowe wouldn't make it.

On the other hand, Simpson's kid, who is also a 2nd year Pee Wee dman, would definitely make the cut.
Your right. My Atom comment was a brain cramp. I knew he was on the Pee wee Junior Oilers, I just didnt know what year he was. They have a few real good kids on that team.Do you know what tier he played as a 1st year?
And not making a AAA team as a 1st year kid is really not that bad. Very few kids do, particualry midget age kids (though it is a 3 year deal), even if they are real good. In fact , I know of one guy midget kid who was drafted in the 2nd round of the bantam draft who only played on the REM 15 team.
Mct's kid is on that Junior Oiler team as a 1st year I believe, isnt he?

fer

Jun 27, 2006
Gretzky and Lowe, re Shattuck's

Any word if Gretzky and Lowe will be sending their boy's to Shattuck's?

azsioux

Jul 30, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
www.azsioux.com
interesting to see what type of players these guys are. no doubt that shattuck has been the top prep lately. thats not slamming other prep schools out there by any means....the players mentioned in other posts speak for themselves from crosby to parise to stafford to jack johnson to gergen to espisito to okposo to toews..............

here is a list of drafted or players that have signed pro contracts that have gone to play for the north dakota fighting sioux just in the last 4 years...lets say zach parise opened a pipeline that has been nice to the sioux

zach parise, 1st rd 17th overall, 2003 draft (NJ) signed after sophmore year
matt smaby, 2nd rd, 41st overall, 2003 draft (TB) signed after junior year
chris porter, 9th rd, 292nd overall, 2003 draft (CHI) senior seaosn upcoming at UND
brady murray, 5th rd, 152nd overall, 2003 draft (LA) playing in sweden
drew stafford, 1st rd, 13th overall, 2004 draft (BUF) signed after junior year
taylor chorney, 2nd rd,36th overall, 2005 draft (EDM)soph season upcoming at UND
jonathan toews, 1st rd, 3rd overall, 2006 draft (CHI)soph season upcoming at UND
jordan parise, undrafted (signed with new jersey in 2006 after junior year)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad