Gretzky and Lowe might enroll their sons at Shattuck-St. Mary's

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
personally i think the idea of sending your kid away to school at 14-15 to play hockey is stupid, it reaks of annoying soccer mom behind it.
I don't see how putting your son into a winning program for the chance of being able to hone his skills and potential is bad? If he wants to play hockey, and wants to take his game to the next level, so be it.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Traitors? Schmators....

Gretz and Lowesy are not traitors, never will be.

Besides, if their son's are good enough to make team Canada one day, then they deserve it. If they can't make team Canada, but can make team USA, then all the power to them. Brett Hull seemed to make out okay with that and I will argue with you that he is much more Canadian than American (my ankles from ball hockey in Tuxedo as a youngster with Brett would attest to that).I have watched Shattucks teams play tournaments in Canada; they are coached/prepared well. Our elite Triple A teams are raw talent...Shattuck's teams are talent, focus and preparation.

I wish my sons could have been that focused and prepared. I wish I was that talented...I would have been to Shattucks in 2 flicks of my wrist shot.:bow:

Last edited:

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
Anyone seen or heard anything more definite if they are enrolled for the fall- I have not seen anything especially regarding Ty. I would have assumed there would have been some further mention but I have not seen it so far. In the Phoenix press, the rest of the Gretzky family is suppose to move to Phoenix from LA this season when Gretz announced he was coaching again this season. It appears maybe Ty is staying put in Phoenix for this year.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
I think at least geographically he will get removed from his dad's shadow while he is up there so I imagine he is looking for that. I personally in most cases don't agree with sending kids away for boarding schools- I mean they grow up fast enough by the time they get 18- sometimes it seems like it is rushed. Especially with hockey kids there seems to be that idea to send kids off at 15 and 16 so this is certainly not unusual. I guess Ty will see how he does under this setting to see what potential he might have beyond this.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
Zinnnggggg!

Don't forget Brent Gretzky. The gene pool isn't everything. You still need to be touched by the Hockey Gods.

Brent has not been a shabby player in the lower league- in fact in recent years he was a pretty good scorer on the teams he was on. Just because he is not great like his big brother does not mean he has not been a decent player. Sister Kim was an excellent runner in her younger days as well. I think Ty will go the college route after this like to U of Minn or Boston College- just a hunch.

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
many boarding schools have strong educational programs. its not *just* about hockey.

Yeah, the school is almost 150 years old, and used to be a military school. When I went there, the sports programs were not very good. It's a very challenging school academically, and your high school life would be a lot easier at a public school. I am not sure if they treat the hockey players with kid gloves at all, schoolwork-wise, but I do know that not every one that goes there is ready for that aspect, or ready to live in a dormitory far from home at that age.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
Yeah, the school is almost 150 years old, and used to be a military school. When I went there, the sports programs were not very good. It's a very challenging school academically, and your high school life would be a lot easier at a public school. I am not sure if they treat the hockey players with kid gloves at all, schoolwork-wise, but I do know that not every one that goes there is ready for that aspect, or ready to live in a dormitory far from home at that age.

Yea, this will be a real test for Ty all the way around. I wonder if he will go there for all three years. Are there many who drop out- especially the first year? I think he really wants to challenge his hockey playing/skills to see if he can take it another level and I guess this will be a good indication how he does there AND can adjust away from home and with the studies.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Zinnnggggg!

Don't forget Brent Gretzky. The gene pool isn't everything. You still need to be touched by the Hockey Gods.

Brent did make it to the NHL and has been playing professional hockey for 20+ years, so it's not like he works at Wal-Mart (no offense to anybody working at Wal-Mart, but your employer is evil). And being Gretzky's kid means he's touched by a Hockey God quite often.

X-SHARKIE

I am going to see Shattuck this weekend at the Kohl Center.

Will Gretzky be on the prep team that will be there?

I also heard Jonathan Toews little brother David will be on the team...any news on that?

Thanks guys. I wish Shattuck would just release their roster already.

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
I am going to see Shattuck this weekend at the Kohl Center.

Will Gretzky be on the prep team that will be there?

I also heard Jonathan Toews little brother David will be on the team...any news on that?

Thanks guys. I wish Shattuck would just release their roster already.

Ty is indeed enrolled at SSM, but will not be on the prep team. This was posted by legend poster Iceburg on Gopherpucklive.com:

The Shattuck Prep team is up on their web site now (thanks for the heads up Hammy). Mostly kids that have been in the program for a few years. Brock Montpetit and Derek Stepan are the two that are new to the school. David Toews is probably the most highly regarded prospect here. Some of the other names might not be too familiar, but all of the American kids except for the two goalies, Lompado, Forgaard and Osadchuk have qualified for "USA Hockey" select festivals at one time or another.

Goalies
Jacob Anderson: Senior listed as being from Faribault, but I think he’s actually from somewhere in Wisconsin. 20-9-1 with a 2.81 goals against last year for the Prep team.
Jason Horstman: Senior from Faribault. 22-6-2 with a 2.06 last year for the Prep team.

Defense
Peter Lompado: Senior from Staten Island, New York. 2 goals, 11 assists last year for the Prep team.
Brett Kostolansky: Junior from Denver. 2 goals, 4 assists last year for the U-16 team. Very nice puck carrying defenseman, was hurt most of last year. A WCHA caliber talent.
Ben Youds: Senior from Maple Grove. 4 goals, 20 assists last year for the Prep team. Mankato recruit.
Ryan Forgaard: A senior listed as being from Faribault. 4 goals, 23 assists last year for the Midget AAA team
David Carle: Junior from Anchorage. 7 goals, 18 assists last year for the U-16 team. Brother of Matt Carle, not the player he is, but should play D-1 somewhere.
Ben Blood: Senior from Wayzata. 4 goals, 21 assists last year for the Prep team. One of the top few in-state defensive recruits in this senior class.

Forwards
Brian Elser: Junior from Hopewell Junction, New York (just north of New York City). 7 goals, 15 assists last year for the Midget AAA team.
Derek Stepan: Junior from Hastings. 27 goals, 16 assists last year for Hastings high school. Son of former Michigan Tech player Brad Stepan.
David Toews: Junior from Winnipeg. Played last year for the Colorado Outlaws midget team (couldn’t find any stats). Suspended from Shattuck last year, but reinstated this year. Brother of NoDak player Jon Toews. Haven’t seen him play, but he’s regarded as a top prospect, although probably not quite at the level that his brother is. 73 goals and 78 assists for the Shattuck bantam team two years ago that finished second at the national tournament.
Eli Zuck: Junior from Anchorage. 4 goals, 10 assists last year for the Prep team.
Brock Montpetit: Junior from Somerset, Wisconsin. 41 goals, 32 assists last year for Somerset high school. Wisconsin recruit.
Jordy Murray: Junior from Faribault. 17 goals, 21 assists last year for the Prep team.
Nick Osadchuk: Senior from Scottsdale, Arizona. 16 goals, 29 assists last year for the Midget AAA team.
Stepan Novotny: Junior from Prague, Czech Republic. 3 goals, 3 assists last year for the Prep team.
H.T. Lenz: Senior from Vienna, Virginia (just outside Washington D.C.). 17 goals, 19 assists last year for the Midget AAA team.
Kyle Murphy: Junior from Fair Haven, New Jersey (was listed from the Boston area previously). 21 goals, 22 assists last year for the U-16 team. Brother played at Boston College.
Jeffrey Smith: Senior from Spokane, Washington. 10 goals, 13 assists last year for the Prep team.
Luke Greiner: Junior from Newport Beach, California. 30 goals, 24 assists last year for the U-16 team. Some nice offensive skills. Was at Model Camp this summer

Last edited:

X-SHARKIE

Thanks 5mm major for the heads up on the team roster being out. I'm anxious to get good notes on these guys throughout the weekend.

I've been tipped on who to watch seems like Toews, Carle, Murray, Blood, Youds, Greiner, Kostolansky, Montpetit, Novotny are the key guys this year...good looking team!

It's good to see some live hockey again! last weekend I was in Chicago watching the Steel, whoa can these guys play! I think I discovered the next Trevor Lewis-Andreas Nodl (undrafted USHL player who then goes in the top two rounds next year) In Chicago's Brian Keane - always had the talent, but now he's really coming on... electrifying skating and skill. Maybe the best vision on the ice and hockey sense i've seen awhile at the USHL level...deadly package...hope he keeps it up.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
One thing I really kind of thought was kind of curious was when they said Ty wanted to play "out of his dad's shadow in Phoenix and there would not be the pressure" playing away from Phoenix- how was he under pressure in Phoenix- the kid did not have any media on him at his school there when he played- I mean no disrespect but he was not playing in Edmonton or Toronto where I could see where there would be pressure. I just don't agree that he had pressure there in Phoenix. Also, it seems with hockey kids a lot more than in other sports, there is the emphasis they need to go to special prep schools or move away at young ages to play in lower leagues. Why is there this emphasis in hockey but not in the other sports nearly as much like football or basketball or even baseball- although in baseball you do have a lot of young Latin players who move to the States, but by in large you see this so much in hockey.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
One thing I really kind of thought was kind of curious was when they said Ty wanted to play "out of his dad's shadow in Phoenix and there would not be the pressure" playing away from Phoenix- how was he under pressure in Phoenix- the kid did not have any media on him at his school there when he played- I mean no disrespect but he was not playing in Edmonton or Toronto where I could see where there would be pressure. I just don't agree that he had pressure there in Phoenix. Also, it seems with hockey kids a lot more than in other sports, there is the emphasis they need to go to special prep schools or move away at young ages to play in lower leagues. Why is there this emphasis in hockey but not in the other sports nearly as much like football or basketball or even baseball- although in baseball you do have a lot of young Latin players who move to the States, but by in large you see this so much in hockey.

With regards to basketball and football, for the most part the kids involved in these sports don't come from particularily wealthy families.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
With regards to basketball and football, for the most part the kids involved in these sports don't come from particularily wealthy families.

I am sure money is a factor, but you just seem to see it so much in hockey that guys 15 and 16 leave home to either go to prep schools or lower leagues, and then the funny part is when they get to the NHL level, their first years many live in with a family. It is like they miss out on family life when they still could be living at home for 2 or 3 more years and then when they are 19 or 20 they live in with a family.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->