Waived: Gregory Campbell placed on waivers

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
You know, I am as cynical as anyone about the coming season. But I have to admit, that management is making a lot of the moves I wanted to see: clearing out Tyutin, Boll and Campbell; committing to a more aggressive, fast paced style; bring in more and more "kids". Maybe, JUST MAYBE, for once his year will be different and we will exceed expectations.

Dang there I go again, starting to have positive thoughts. The curse of being a Jackets fan.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
You know, I am as cynical as anyone about the coming season. But I have to admit, that management is making a lot of the moves I wanted to see: clearing out Tyutin, Boll and Campbell; committing to a more aggressive, fast paced style; bring in more and more "kids". Maybe, JUST MAYBE, for once his year will be different and we will exceed expectations.

Dang there I go again, starting to have positive thoughts. The curse of being a Jackets fan.

I'm confused and scared too.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

The best part about management doing what many fans have wanted to see is that if it doesn't work, fans can still forget that's what they wanted...

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015

I would say hell froze over, but the Browns are still very bad.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Hell can freeze over with the Browns still being bad. The Browns contending is well past hell freezing over on the improbable events scale.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003

The key is to set those fan expectations very low and build from there! :D

I like the roster. I like the youth. Still have tons of reservations about Torts. But I'm a little hopeful ...

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
This team has not built up capital in fan good-will, so the fans will turn pretty quickly if there is a prolonged losing streak, especially early in the year. We're all tired of losing, but I am excited by this roster and hopeful that I won't get too frustrated myself if/when they make mistakes that cost games due to inexperience.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I would assume Campbell will come around at some point and play. He is no longer a full time NHLer and solid vets are needed in the AHL. Of course if he would rather do something else with his life then that is fine too.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Sounds like Umberger.

Not that Campbell is being unprofessional or anything. But I have serious questions about his ability to contribute at the NHL level. He, on the other hand, is likely convinced he deserves to be an NHL regular.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
In that case does his 1.3 million still count against the cap?

I believe so. Best comparable would be Tim Thomas, who was suspended for failing to report, then acquired by the Islanders with the sole intention of bringing them up to the salary cap floor.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I believe so. Best comparable would be Tim Thomas, who was suspended for failing to report, then acquired by the Islanders with the sole intention of bringing them up to the salary cap floor.

I think it has to, they just don't have to pay him

I would say it's similar to the Redwing who went back to Russia.......they had to unload his contract for cap reasons

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

Wasn't Tim Thomas under the 35+ rule? Heck those dudes can retire and it counts.

I don't know if it would count against the cap as it would have counted had he reported, but they certainly wouldn't have to pay him. I actually find the cap conversation fairly meaningless, as isn't a big hit anyway. It's like 550k buried. Plus, I'll be amazed if we actually try and add salary/cap space this season.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
when in doubt check it out...

(c) For Players that are suspended, either by a Club or by the League, the Player
Salary and Bonuses that are not paid to such Players shall not count against a Club's Upper Limit
or against the Players' Share for the duration of the suspension, but the Club must have Payroll Room for such Player's Player Salary and Bonuses in order for such Player to be able to return to Play for the Club.

I think that means it doesn't until it does.

Last edited:

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Wasn't Tim Thomas under the 35+ rule? Heck those dudes can retire and it counts.

I don't know if it would count against the cap as it would have counted had he reported, but they certainly wouldn't have to pay him. I actually find the cap conversation fairly meaningless, as isn't a big hit anyway. It's like 550k buried. Plus, I'll be amazed if we actually try and add salary/cap space this season.

I honestly didn't realize Campbell is only 32. Yikes.

Reading that line passage Espen quoted, I think the caphit can count for the purposes of hitting the cap floor but it isn't counted if it brings you over the ceiling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad