Waived: Gregory Campbell placed on waivers

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
in hindsight, yeah, DMac was better...Campbell didn't live up to what we were told he'd be...I'm glad that mgmt has seen that...and IIRC, this will go down as an awful move by the fancy stats group, b/c Campbell looked great there, on paper...on ice, not so much...

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Trying to figure this one out. He stunk, but it was good contract anyway. Add that Campbell essentially replaced DMac. The same DMac who is now captain of the Panthers.

Yeah, a real winner of a deal.

I believe the intent was that Campbell's contract didn't hamstring the organization. I didn't like the signing from the start but don't think the money or term was crazy if it didn't work (which it didn't). My complaint with Campbell was always focused on the MacKenzie timing. They didn't want him to sign for 3 years yet all we did on the 4th line was plug away the last three years. Could have kept DMac at a reasonable deal and moved on after his three years if need be.

WAter under the bridge but a bad contract to give for team development, not money (in my opinion)

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
in hindsight, yeah, DMac was better...Campbell didn't live up to what we were told he'd be...I'm glad that mgmt has seen that...and IIRC, this will go down as an awful move by the fancy stats group, b/c Campbell looked great there, on paper...on ice, not so much...

Not sure what you mean, he looked awful on paper too.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
We could see Campbell called up this year. A couple injuries and we need a PKer and a shutdown guy.

That's funny, because most anyone with a passable knowledge of statistics was panning the Campbell signing the minute they heard of it. I don't know what stats group you're referring to.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
O2IgJAf.png

This is what a 3rd year cost us (from a fancy stats perspective).

DMac and Letestu walked in back-to-back summers. If I remember, the team needed to fill that 4th line C position after Letestu went to EDM. Management clearly didn't trust anyone else in the organization to take that spot (Sedlak, Karlsson, etc.) and there weren't a top of cheap options either. We're talking Arcobello, Brodziak, Goc, Stoll, etc. The in-house options were just a year too late (Sedlak, for example) and they didn't trust Wild Bill yet.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
fair enough, I thought I remembered the fancy stat crowd recently talking about how great he was in corsi...been wrong before, will be again...

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Hindsight has only confirmed what many of us were saying from the start. On paper Campbell looked absolutely atrocious, and on ice he looked even worse.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
fair enough, I thought I remembered the fancy stat crowd recently talking about how great he was in corsi...been wrong before, will be again...

The guys who were being talked about were guys we were advocating should have been signed - folks like Arcobello and Goc.

DEF

Oct 24, 2008
White Castle's
You were handsome and grand like a statue of classical antiquity. You did everything swift and better than the rest of us. Today I step into your ice haus, the windows look to the south. On the boards oak planks are good wood, I see that. I was proudly envious of you. I admit that, when I sit at your ice hall today. So good wood, so good wood, so good wood it is.
The windows look to the West in the Ice Haus.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
The windows look to the West in the Ice Haus.

Where the streets are paved with American dollar, no doubt. Where the plenty are so rich that they wheel their trash cans with them as we saw through those windows during the last pre-season's broadcast.

theD86

Winging it
Jun 23, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
Porty & Bill Davidge have gone on record as saying Sedlak had a great camp. He's younger and a bit faster....... So it's a no brainer

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
No surprise here. Over-all, I didn't think our fourth line was good at all last season. After they let DMac go, it went from a strength to a weakness.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Campbell was not only unsuccessful in his role but he also had the misfortune to be the "substitute" for take your pick of two well-liked players in DMac and Letestu. Not unlike Sammy Pahlsson, who was not only was largely pedestrian but also was perceived to have been bought with Manny's money.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Campbell was not only unsuccessful in his role but he also had the misfortune to be the "substitute" for take your pick of two well-liked players in DMac and Letestu. Not unlike Sammy Pahlsson, who was not only was largely pedestrian but also was perceived to have been bought with Manny's money.
:dunno: I didn't mind Pahlsson; Manny was preferable but he wasn't a total disaster. Campbell, OTOH...

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio

This comparison also came to my mind. In both cases, the line was that the CBJ were upgrading the position with a proven Stanley Cup champion. However, both seemed past their prime during their time here.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Very true, but that also doesn't mean that one who is frustrated and annoyed by one such case feels exactly the same with the other. Which is why I felt obliged to speak up. :)

Maybe Fedorov will do it for ya?

ApertureEmployee

Sep 2, 2015
I guess you're right if you don't include Campbell, Boll, Horton (Clarkson), Foligno, Dubinsky, Bobrovski, McIlhenny and Prout.

Other than these he's been damn near perfect:laugh::laugh:

Campbell - bad but short
Boll - bad
Horton - bad because it was uninsured, the Clarkson trade was a good move and I'm ultimately fine with it
Foligno - only overpaid by about a million in my eyes. Best puck possessor on the team, the C on his chest says he's one of the best locker room guys on the team.

Dubinsky - hate the length

Bob - short contract, if groin injuries take over we have good talent in the wings

Mac - very cheap back up

Prout - bad

But he's also signed Jones, Saad, Atkinson, Jenner, Murray, and Calvert to very good contracts which I never see brought up when talking about Jarmo as a GM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad