Waived: Gregory Campbell placed on waivers

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
when in doubt check it out...
(c) For Players that are suspended, either by a Club or by the League, the Player
Salary and Bonuses that are not paid to such Players shall not count against a Club's Upper Limit
or against the Players' Share for the duration of the suspension, but the Club must have Payroll Room for such Player's Player Salary and Bonuses in order for such Player to be able to return to Play for the Club.

I think that means it doesn't until it does.

I honestly didn't realize Campbell is only 32. Yikes.

Reading that line passage Espen quoted, I think the caphit can count for the purposes of hitting the cap floor but it isn't counted if it brings you over the ceiling.

Short summary of the situation:

- Players that are suspended without pay (like Campbell) do not count against the team salary cap.

- A team must have the payroll room available before they can "unsuspend" a player. That does not mean the team needs to keep the necessary cap space free during the suspension (the Anaheim/Scott Niedermayer circumvention comes to mind). The CBA doesn't cover what might hypothetically happen if a team is unable to unsuspend a player because they choose not to free up the necessary cap space. Would almost certainly result in a grievance if something like that happened.

On a related note, players that are suspended by the league for on-ice discipline still have their cap hits count. They are considered to have been suspended with pay and that salary forfeited. The forfeited salary going into the Player's Emergency Assistance Fund to help out former players and their families.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad