Great players you watched that won't be remembered much as time wears on

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
Patrick Elias
John Leclaire
Matthew Barnaby
Someone mentioned Sami Pahlsson which is maybe the best example in this entire thread. And, no, Ducks do not win the Cup without him. Sharks GM Doug Wilson spent years trying to find our Sami Pahlsson, to no avail.

Homer picks, please let me know if these are biased:
Patrick Marleau
Evgeni Nabokov
Owen Nolan
Vincent Damphousse
Ray Whitney

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
In terms of playoff performers, we will honestly start to forget how massive Chris Kunitz was to FOUR cup runs

His was the first name I thought of when I saw this thread title. He was a perfect fit winger for both Crosby and Malkin, he was one of the unsung heroes of the 2007 and 2009 SCF. He did play his part in 2016 and 2017 but I would be remiss if I didn't admit that he could be incredibly frustrating with his on-ice decision making in the later years of his career.

devo09

Feb 20, 2012
As an Oilers fan; Alex Hemsky was a treat to watch. For a period of time he probably had the best pair of hands in the league

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Every time I see highlights of Tim Connolly, I wonder what he would’ve looked like in today’s NHL.

Dude was oozing skill, it’s a shame his career was cut short due to injuries.

Reactions: pi314 and yada

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Martin Havlat came to mind.

A lot of the Sabres from the mid 2000s. Drury, Afiniganov, Roy, etc.

Richards is a great shout.

Would Elias qualify for this?

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
Patrick Elias
John Leclaire
Matthew Barnaby
Someone mentioned Sami Pahlsson which is maybe the best example in this entire thread. And, no, Ducks do not win the Cup without him. Sharks GM Doug Wilson spent years trying to find our Sami Pahlsson, to no avail.

Homer picks, please let me know if these are biased:
Patrick Marleau
Evgeni Nabokov
Owen Nolan
Vincent Damphousse
Ray Whitney

Damphousse and nolan certainly fit this description really well, maybe ray whitney but he played for a lot of teams.

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
Cindy The Fraud
obviously-duh.gif

Well, to start with, Crosby's shooting % is 17% in his Richard-winning seasons, and it never was above 14.5% in any of the other full seasons. So, he got a lot of puck luck, and that matters when you win the title by 1 or 4 goals. (To put things into perspective, if Crosby shot at 14.5% in both 09/10 and 16/17, he would have been 5th in both seasons).

His stats above 10th place point %, as well as the size of his QoC are abysmal.
He's trash defensively.

Crosby will be mostly forgotten in 20 years like his counterpart Bernie Nichols.
His rookie cards will become toilet paper, as everyone scrambles to trade theirs in for Ovi The Grea8 Putin Scoring Legacy!

Um this certainly a take

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
I was only able to find 2 eligible players in NHL history that scored 400 goals over a 10 year span that aren't in the Hockey Hall of Fame. Peter Bondra and Keith Tkachuk. That's it, and they did it at the height of the "dead-puck era". Both deserve Hall of Fame induction IMO.

Personally id induct tkachuk. I understand he did jack shit in the playoffs but he certainly had great regular season success.

I wouldn't on bondra

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Ziggy Palffy (injuries, poor teams. Had this guy been an Av or Red Wing in his prime he'd be looked at much differently)

Patrick Sharp (overshadowed by teammates, brilliant game sense, could play many roles on a team)

Paul Kariya (injuries, was dominant for his short prime, higher peak than Selanne but will be less remembered)

Sandis Ozolinsh (underrated, elite at what he did)

Mattias Norstrom (underrated, elite at what he did)

Joe Pavelski (one of the most underrated in league history, might be able to play til he's 45. Top 10 game-sense of all time.)

Chris Osgood (underrated, big game goalie)

Mike Richards (total winner before the wheels fell off prematurely)

Sergei Samsonov (played in the wrong era, had he been drafted a decade earlier or a decade later he'd have been more highly thought of)

Nicklas Lidstrom (Might be an odd choice, but I think people still sell him short. Top 2 in Norris voting 9 out of 10 seasons)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad