Great players you watched that won't be remembered much as time wears on

RxPens

Oct 7, 2008
Bertuzzi, naslund and morrison come to mind. That line was pure hockèy gold for many years and im no nucks fan. Some of my greatest memories were the annual stars/nucks rd 2 series for many years. Ì remember the 07 series' ordering multiple pizza deliveries for all the multiple overtimes.

Ziggy palfy was beyond underrated. Had he perservered on that young pens team i dont think Hossa would have been a diety on arrival. Rafàlski absolutely hands down was a stud for a decade. So many great names. As a pens fan dick tarnstrom and ryan malone were the first driving players prior to crosbys arrival.

Anyone on those late 90s redwings teams were pure hockey players finding their role.

Aside from that, getzlaf, perry, pahlssòn, and nieds on that duck's team were absolte game breakers. Sòft spot mentions for morozov and players like pascal dupuis for the early pens too.

Pominville and roy with drury in the late 90s and early 00s sabres are more that come to mind. They carried that team.

In terms of d men dallas smith from my hometown was credited by bobby orr as being his rock and huge influence during his career. So many to name, and if gary roberts isnt a name that has come up yèt he should have. Many teams late in his career and just a man amomg boys as that third piece on every quality line he ever played on..

Lastly david perron. Produces no matter the coach and has a high hockey IQ. He has bucked the aging curve too and just become more complete over time.

And as a canadian, jordan eberle just does clutch things and has totally embrased the leadershìp and vereran role with the kraken. His junior and international career will never let him be forgotten. But a man of that small size who grew up accross the street from my inlaws is the definition of taking every opportunity and making it a legendary moment.

Last edited:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Curtis Joseph

Statistically, he had a better peak & prime than Belfour, while Eddie finished with only slightly better career numbers

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
coke ended his career

Interesting, I never knew that

Bertuzzi, naslund and morrison come to mind. That line was pure hockèy gold for many years and im no nucks fan. Some of my greatest memories were the annual stars/nucks rd 2 series for many years. Ì remember the 07 series' ordering multiple pizza deliveries for all the multiple overtimes.

Ziggy palfy was beyond underrated. Had he perservered on that young pens team i dont think Hossa would have been a diety on arrival. Rafàlski absolutely hands down was a stud for a decade. So many great names. As a pens fan dick tarnstrom and ryan malone were the first driving players prior to crosbys arrival.

Anyone on those late 90s redwings teams were pure hockey players finding their role.

Aside from that, getzlaf, perry, pahlssòn, and nieds on that duck's team were absolte game breakers. Sòft spot mentions for morozov and players like pascal dupuis for the early pens too.

Pominville and roy with drury in the late 90s and early 00s sabres are more that come to mind. They carried that team.

In terms of d men dallas smith from my hometown was credited by bobby orr as being his rock and huge influence during his career. So many to name, and if gary roberts isnt a name that has come up yèt he should have. Many teams late in his career and just a man amomg boys as that third piece on every quality line he ever played on..

Lastly david perron. Produces no matter the coach and has a high hockey IQ. He has bucked the aging curve too and just become more complete over time.

And as a canadian, jordan eberle just does clutch things and has totally embrased the leadershìp and vereran role with the kraken. His junior and international career will never let him be forgotten. But a man of that small size who grew up accross the street from my inlaws is the definition of taking every opportunity and making it a legendary moment.

"Can YOU BELIEVE IT?"

Tomas Vokoun was the greatest goalie that few thought was great. Probably the best LH goalie that I can think of.

The man responsible for the deepest Penguins run in between their cup wins

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Phil Kessel won't be "forgotten" because of his ironman streak and the memes but in all time sense hell be underrated somewhat.

4x Top 10 Points (6,7,6,7) 2x Top 10 Goals (6,5) --> almost all of that was done when he was in Toronto when he was by far the best player on the team (i.e. no other all star level players). Of course he had better point totals in Pittsburgh his last two seasons and had a Conn Smythe worthy run in 2016, but he produced at a high level despite the lack of talent around him.

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
Al Iafrate- One of the very few NHL players that exuded that rock star kinda persona. He looked tough, chain smoked but he could flat out rip it.

Did anybody mention glen Murray? he had some big years. When he started out with the Bruins he was supposed to be in the mold of Cam Neely.

Somebody mentioned Adam Graves...

Gary Roberts- Was tough and could score particularly early in his career.

The classic answer and his name has already been mentioned is Brian Propp. You hardly hear his name but he was a damned good player. Any team would want him.

Bowski

GO LEAFS GO!
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Cindy The Fraud
obviously-duh.gif

Well, to start with, Crosby's shooting % is 17% in his Richard-winning seasons, and it never was above 14.5% in any of the other full seasons. So, he got a lot of puck luck, and that matters when you win the title by 1 or 4 goals. (To put things into perspective, if Crosby shot at 14.5% in both 09/10 and 16/17, he would have been 5th in both seasons).

His stats above 10th place point %, as well as the size of his QoC are abysmal.
He's trash defensively.

Crosby will be mostly forgotten in 20 years like his counterpart Bernie Nichols.
His rookie cards will become toilet paper, as everyone scrambles to trade theirs in for Ovi The Grea8 Putin Scoring Legacy!

• Wow
Reactions: Yemeth

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Seeing how Pahlsson has been mentioned a few times in this thread, I thought I'd share a little obscure stat.

Despite retiring from the NHL a dozen years ago, Pahlsson ranks 8th in short handed face offs taken since the lockout. Ryan O'Reilly, who's played in twice as many games is just barely ahead of him. Mikko Koivu and Jonathan Toews, both who've also played in twice as many games, are behind. Toews actually way behind.

Says something about how trusted and important Pahlsson was in defensive situations for Anaheim during their best years.

fromage67

Oct 19, 2005
Came here to add the name of Guy freaking Carbonneau. The prototype for Patrice Bergeron. Captained the 89 and 93 Habs and was a key member of the champion 86 team.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Ben Bishop was the best goalie in the NHL over a several-year span, but he had the misfortune of a) getting injured either right before or in the first round of the playoffs year after year, and b) playing for Tampa which cost him the recognition he deserved along with at least one Vezina.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad