Great players you watched that won't be remembered much as time wears on

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
I'll try to better articulate the premise of the thread:

My "era" aka when I transitioned from mere fan of the sport of hockey to being an avid and obsessive watcher/consumer of NHL hockey was very early 2000's age 10/11ish. Salt Lake Olympics, Leafs run to ECF in 2002 began it. As such, there's a lot of guys from that time and into the mid/late 2000's that I watched and know were spectacular players but there won't be much evidence of it as time goes on.

What do I mean by evidence? Their careers weren't super long and/or storied, no major individual awards, stats aren't eye-popping and don't tell their entire story.

What guys from your era (especially interested to hear from people who watched 70's-early 90's) that are really good players but fans of today would have no idea without "being there."

Some guys I think of off the top of my head:

Mike Richards: Pretty short career in the end, only two really good offensive years of 75 & 80 points (and even then, those were elite offensive years for the era but don't look like much with todays scoring renaissance) but man was he special. Kids picking up the sport 15-20 years from now who come across his stats will never know.

Could get on the score sheet but would be valuable with zero points. Wrecking ball on the ice, ball of energy, physical, could shut down and neutralize other teams top C's, hard on the forecheck. hard on the back check, great on faceoffs, great efforts in the defensive end. Was part of one of Canada's most effective lines ever with Toews & Nash and even when his offensive numbers declined he was a massive part of LA's cup runs.

Todd Bertuzzi: Yeah we all know he was really dominant before the Moore incident derailed his career but even fans now too young to have actually watched him and especially so in the future might not grasp exactly how good.

2001-2004 was an offensive blackhole so 85 & 97 point seasons are so much better than they even look. Had he not been suspended 10 games in 01/02 very possibly would've nabbed the Art Ross while being the most impressive physical specimen in the league. Huge, mean, drove to the net with defenders draped over him, one-hand on stick one stiff arming, silky hands, not just for a big man, just period. Great shot. If he could've sustained his two-year peak level for 6-8 years he'd be an all-time great player.

Ziggy Palffy: Again, the trend here, by todays standards and probably same is true in the future, sandwiched between the high scoring 70's-early 90's and todays high scoring era, Palffy being able to consistently score 40+ goals and 80+ points in his sleep will not look as impressive as it really was. Retired out of nowhere during a PPG season and never known to be a hard worker, this guy was so smooth on the ice and was absurdly naturally gifted. Hockey came easily to him.

Maybe even more obsure guys who won't get the respect they deserve like Kimmo Timonen, Darian Hatcher, Petr Nedved etc.

From the 80's maybe guys like Hakan Loob, Tim Kerr etc.

I could go on and on but I'll open the floor.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
In terms of playoff performers, we will honestly start to forget how massive Chris Kunitz was to FOUR cup runs
Sticking with former Ducks who made an impact in the playoffs, how about Sami Pahlsson in the 2007 cup run.

History will have no reason to remember Pahlsson but I believe he was a Selke nom that season and then carried it into the playoffs by being an absolute shutdown monster.

Don't think it's a stretch to say the Ducks don't win a cup without him.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I feel like it could be Mats Sundin. I feel like his numbers could have been greater had he not been captain of the Leafs, he carried a lot on his shoulders as the captain in Toronto, and if he had more talent around him. I just don’t think people appreciate him and what a great player he was despite the lack of trophies or the Stanley Cup. He is still my favourite player to this day.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Brian Rafalski. Came into the NHL at 26, became a regular top line D for 11 seasons and found himself with 3 Stanley Cups at the end of it. Instrumental in Detroit's 2008 run. 100 points in 165 career playoff games.

A bit shy of “great”, but I think Derek Roy and Sergei Samsonov were two very good players who don’t get much shine.
These are exactly the types of guys I had in mind starting this thread.

Rafalski was amazing on the ice, amazing break out passes. Samsonov was actually someone I was going to name in OP. Pre-injury insane speed and hands and outshone teammate/draftmate Joe Thornton for the first 2-3 years of their career.

Pominville and Campbell also good shouts from those mid-2000's Sabres teams.

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Johan Franzen, Detroit Red Wings

Nicknamed the mule by Steve Yzerman, scored 81 pts in 107 playoff games, elevating his career regular season PPG of 0.61 to 0.76 in postseason play. As a Ducks fan, those postseasons had great battles between two very different teams, Franzen was a star player overshadowed mostly by Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Datsyuk and Hossa, maybe even Holmström.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
I feel like it could be Mats Sundin. I feel like his numbers could have been greater had he not been captain of the Leafs, he carried a lot on his shoulders as the captain in Toronto, and if he had more talent around him. I just don’t think people appreciate him and what a great player he was despite the lack of trophies or the Stanley Cup. He is still my favourite player to this day.
You might get hated on for this take but I 100% agree. Numbers/awards/reputation won't do Mats justice for those of us who watched him every night. True definition of a number 1 centre and one of the most difficult guys ever to defend down low on the cycle.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
I looked up the 1997 entry draft to double check that I was correct in calling Thornton & Samsonov draftmates and two very solid and steady but very unflashy defenseman stood out.

Eric Brewer & Scott Hannon were both good enough to make team Canada at points in their careers. Brewer was extremely young (22?) when he made a stacked and HOF-laden team Canada.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Lots of guys from the Hawks core were very good to great but don’t have much formal recognition or individual hardware. Patrick Sharp, Niklas Hjlamarsson, and Corey Crawford in particular.

I came here to mention Niklas Hjalmarsson and you beat me to it. It's hard to get recognition when you're a shutdown defenseman, but Hjalmarsson was one of the best at it I've seen. Zbynek Michalek comes to mind as well. Was a total workhorse for the Coyotes during his time on the team.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Brian Propp
Steve Larmer
Valeri Kamensky
Slava Kozlov
Arturs Irbe
Brian Rolston
Saku Koivu
Steve Thomas
Pat Verbeek
Ziggy Palffy
Pavol Demitra
Mike Peca
John Madden
Tony Amonte

All guys that were terrific players at one time or another. They were instrumental to their teams' successes in their era.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
You might get hated on for this take but I 100% agree. Numbers/awards/reputation won't do Mats justice for those of us who watched him every night. True definition of a number 1 centre and one of the most difficult guys ever to defend down low on the cycle.
I mean, he IS a Hockey Hall of Famer, and what you're describing - Which totally applies to Mats Sundin - isn't even necessarily good enough for the HHOF. Some people think he shouldn't be an HHOF, but frankly, that tells more about them than about Sundin.

I'd suggest Vincent Damphousse. Which is weird, because he was good enough to be the leading scorer of a SC winning team all the while playing a very good all-around game, on top of having made most of its mark in one of the biggest markets and having played quite a long time. He isn't in the HHOF (which is right) and also never described as a snub, while some weaker candidates do get that sort of push.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Derek Roy had an 80 point season and then just faded away. Samsonov was very good also. I dont think he'll be forgotten as much but he did win a calder.
Not really. He followed that up with 70 pts, 69 pts and then 35 pts in 35 games before suffering a serious knee injury in the middle of the 2010-11 season. He was never the same after that. One of my favorite players for a few years.

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
Before the Toews and Kane era in Chicago, there was a year where Martin Havlat was the only reason to watch the Blackhawks. He was phenomenal, and carried that team all by himself most games.

And I've never seen a player in-person who was more impactful or dominant than Rick Nash. It was like no one else on the team knew what they were doing, other than just trying to pass it to Nash.

If Dwayne Roloson hadn't hurt his leg against Carolina in 2006, he would have won a Stanley Cup and a Smythe trophy. He was unbelievable up to that point.

Those 3 guys stand out to me as players that could have been hall-of-famers if a few things happened differently. Havlat and Roloson just needed health, and Nash needed to spend a prime year on a contender.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad