Great players you watched that won't be remembered much as time wears on

pedis

brochefs
Mar 14, 2014
mars
Ed Jovanovski was a great defenceman who I would have loved on the leafs. If he didn't go to pheonix I feel he would have been thought of more highly. For me he could be in the hall of very good.

Reactions: pi314

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Lots of guys from the Hawks core were very good to great but don’t have much formal recognition or individual hardware. Patrick Sharp, Niklas Hjlamarsson, and Corey Crawford in particular.
Corey Crawford is the anthesis of this thread. He was the extremely average goalie that was lucky enough to play for that wagon of a Hawks team. He'll be remembered far more for those cup wins than the other dozen or so middling starters of his era who didn't have the good fortune to be on the right team at the right time.

Are you high?

Between 2010 and 2020, the only goalie with more even-strength GSAx than Corey Crawford at even strength was Henrik Lundqvist.

SSWaNeM.png

From 2016-2020, when the Blackhawks were in steep decline and he was getting no help defensively, he was FIRST in GSAx at even strength.

UeOubdW.png

In addition to the Conn Smythe worthy performance in 2013, and stoning the league-leading offense that chewed through the likes of Price and Lundqvist in 2015, Crawford is absolutely underrated.

He'll rightfully be remembered over middling starters of his era, cause he was much better than them.

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Are you high?

Between 2010 and 2020, the only goalie with more even-strength GSAx than Corey Crawford at even strength was Henrik Lundqvist.

SSWaNeM.png

From 2016-2020, when the Blackhawks were in steep decline and he was getting no help defensively, he was FIRST in GSAx at even strength.

UeOubdW.png

In addition to the Conn Smythe worthy performance in 2013, and stoning the league-leading offense that chewed through the likes of Price and Lundqvist in 2015, Crawford is absolutely underrated.

He'll rightfully be remembered over middling starters of his era, cause he was much better than them.
Henrik Lunqvist is also incredibly overrated, the comparison checks out

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So many of the players folks mention seem very memorable to me - guys who played on great teams or were iconic for whatever reason.

Who was Norm Ullman? What about Jean Ratelle? Those guys have 1200+ career points and I can barely remember a thing about them, some vague association with the Rangers. That's it.

But that could just be because they're from fifty years ago.

Players who aren't that old that might fit the category - Bobby Smith, Brian Propp, Brian Bellows, Dave Taylor.

I could see Patrick Marleau being somewhat forgettable. He has 1197 career points.

Vincent Damphousse played in the big markets and I watched a ton of him as a kid but I had no idea he scored 1200 career points. I can't remember much about how he played.

Among the top scorers in league history, Ron Francis stands out as a guy who might be somewhat forgotten. He was either scoring for smaller market teams (Hartford and Carolina) or was a secondary piece on Mario's Penguins.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Johan Franzen, Detroit Red Wings

Nicknamed the mule by Steve Yzerman, scored 81 pts in 107 playoff games, elevating his career regular season PPG of 0.61 to 0.76 in postseason play. As a Ducks fan, those postseasons had great battles between two very different teams, Franzen was a star player overshadowed mostly by Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Datsyuk and Hossa, maybe even Holmström.

I remember he scored 9 goals in a 4 game sweep once, forget who they played against but he was a beast on the playoffs on many occasions.

Reactions: Riseonfire

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
...Have you never met a Leafs fan?
I mean, they're somehow bringing up Mats Sundin in this thread, of all f***ing people. Anyone who ever played for the Leafs has to be automatically disqualified, because any mediocre player who played for the Leafs is somehow remembered for all time as an all time great.

Reactions: Realgud

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I mean, they're somehow bringing up Mats Sundin in this thread, of all f***ing people. Anyone who ever played for the Leafs has to be automatically disqualified, because any mediocre player who played for the Leafs is somehow remembered for all time as an all time great.
new hockey fans probably dont realize the Leafs havent won a cup in almost 60 years because they talk about Doug Gilmour like he ushered in a dynasty.

• Haha
Reactions: cptjeff

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Max Afinogenov
Alex Semin (best wrist shot i've ever seen)

Those two come to mind immediately

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
For those old enough, basically shuffle your opeechee trading cards and pick one

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I feel like this is true of most great players. Only the best of the best get remembered decades later. I bet in 20 years even a guy like Panarin won't be talked about that much by non-Rangers fans.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Ian Turnbull. Holds the stand alone record for most goals in a game by a defenseman (5). 35 point rookie season. Short 10 year career, he hit 20 goals x2 (19 in another season)
5 x over 50 points seasons with 3 60 point seasons and one 79 point season. Injury problems towards the end of his career, but after his rookie year only scored under 56 points once (39) in a healthy season. Tough as nails as well.

Overshadowed by his D partner the great BJ Salming, but elevated his play even more when BJ was injured.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
Joel Otto was probably the only dude who bullied Lindros, i remember a faceoff where Otto headbutted Lindros and Eric was so f surprised that anyone would do that. And not many people could do that to Lindros and back it up. Joel Otto was such a badass.

amikaro

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2015
Johan Franzen, Detroit Red Wings

Nicknamed the mule by Steve Yzerman, scored 81 pts in 107 playoff games, elevating his career regular season PPG of 0.61 to 0.76 in postseason play. As a Ducks fan, those postseasons had great battles between two very different teams, Franzen was a star player overshadowed mostly by Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Datsyuk and Hossa, maybe even Holmström.
First name which came up in my string of thoughts. The mule. Loved his scoring and grit. One of the greates front net precenses I remember.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Andrei Markov; guy has stats that puts him in a list of legends, but he will never be one.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
I know a fair number of people would debate this one but how about PK Subban? He had a meteoric rise, lots of promise, a short window of promising achievements and then his career seemed to have petered out quickly.

As with some others, I think Shea Weber would be on that list. He was a perennial all star for a time, but seemed like all that short front-end performance ended up costing the back end with albatross contracts and mediocre to sub-par performance.

I would perhaps add a current player to that list - Tyler Seguin. I think he was the #2 draft pick or something, had flashes of brilliance and had a decent career, but not sure if long term people will remember him as such.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
He didnt play for my team, but I think Voracek is destined to be a footnote in hockey history despite unreal talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad