Great Hockey Photos You've Just Seen for the First Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
Benched_The_Canadian_hockey_girl_Series_no_2_photo_no_2_HS85-10-15498-56a77fda5f9b58b7d0eb0efb.jpg

1903 – The Canadian hockey girl, photo by Montrealer William Elisha Maw [1872-1931]

16-chasedited.jpg

1937 – Charlie Conacher walking through the crowd, a classic shot, now colorized

cut.jpg

May 9, 1971 – Two rookies going at it. Ken Dryden (#29) and Jerry Korab (# 22)

000096802_Prazak-Hockey_Hall_of_Fame_Collection-w1000.jpg

1971-72 ca - Orland Kurtenbach (# 25) battling hard with Jacques Laperriere (# 2). What's up with the green/blue Spalding gloves? Yikes...

cut.jpg

1973 – Bobby Clarke chased by Henri Richard

2f8b36e97cf4e031047c480a395eec4a.jpg

1973-75 ca – Darryl Sittler (# 27) and Dennis Hull (# 10)

cut.jpg

1977/78 – All eyes on the puck - Wayne Cashman (# 12) - Brian Engblom (# 3) – Bob Gainey – Rick Middleton (# 16)

1979-Rangers-Islanders-John-Davidson-Mike-Bossy.jpg

April/May, 1979 – Pat Hickey (# 16) – Mike Bossy (# 22) – Carol Vadnais (# 5) – Dave Maloney (# 26) – John Davidson (# 30) – Bobby Sheehan (# 6) – Clark Gillies

cropped_GettyImages-83063195.jpg

1979-80 ca – Denis Potvin (# 5) and Bob Kelly in a battle along the boards

0809hockey14-v6.jpg

February 17, 1984 – Care for a dance? - Aleksandr Gerasimov (# 23) and Kevin Dineen (# 16)

40bdcbd9f5302357e02f7125c563d6.0.jpg

April 20, 1984 – The Good Friday Massacre - La Bataille du Vendredi Saint

cut.jpg

1985-86 ca – Richard Brodeur (# 25) and Mats Naslund (# 26)

cut.jpg

1985-86 ca – Greg Adams giving linesman Mark Pare an earful

bbd1d409d1f124a5d7a9f95c5aa20207.jpg

March 14, 1990 – Rookie Geoff Smith (# 25) and Claude Lemieux (# 32) in one of his last games for Montreal

maxresdefault.jpg

November 25, 1991 – Brad Marsh celebrating his goal. He went on to score one more time in his NHL-career

6ec97f91-35d7-4588-9ea3-4f84e13be9c8-e1515452754630.jpg

November 19, 1992 - Marty McSorley vs Stu Grimson (# 23)

njd_nyr_mavens-haven_stan_20121129.png

May 1994 - Martin Brodeur (# 30) – Stephane Matteau (# 32) - Bernie Nicholls (# 9)

hartnell-fantasy-hockey-whats-the-point-man.jpg

2013 ca – What the f… - Scott Hartnell

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ More awesome shots RGO!... Love "The Hockey Girl", and you say its "famous"? New one on me...... Ive never seen that crowd shot of Conacher & the Leafs on their way out to the ice colorized.... Charlie there, that guys' got real "presence". You dont quite grasp the full extent of it in b&w. :thumbu:

ICM1970

Jan 29, 2012
Ottawa, ON
Still can't stop drooling over this pic. 2nd from right for the Knights I see Andre Lacroix and 4th from right is Norm Ferguson.
I wonder if that picture was taken at that old dump of a place that the Knights played in (where the visitors had to change at the hotel across from the rink and that the centre ice rose slightly so players could take real rockets of slapshots)? I know that at MLG, kindly H Ballard made the Toros pay sky high prices for game rentals and lights were extra and that they could not use the Leafs' dressing room or the cushions on the benches.

Reactions: SealsFan

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I wonder if that picture was taken at that old dump of a place that the Knights played in (where the visitors had to change at the hotel across from the rink and that the centre ice rose slightly so players could take real rockets of slapshots)? I know that at MLG, kindly H Ballard made the Toros pay sky high prices for game rentals and lights were extra and that they could not use the Leafs' dressing room or the cushions on the benches.

The picture was actually from Varsity Arena in Toronto where the Toros played some of their home games during 1973/74. The building only had seating for about 4,800 and could not generate sufficient revenue for the Toros which is why they made a deal with Ballard to use Maple Leaf Gardens.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Before Selanne...?

Please tell me you know about Ted Lindsay's shooting stance well before that WHA nobody or Selanne! :ha: I mean, this is History 101.

The Red Wings' Greatest Captain (and his stance was in bloody opposition to a pre-game death threat! not a showoff move)

*sigh* Sometimes I feel I'm getting old, other times just that the world is going to pot.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Before Selanne...?

Please tell me you know about Ted Lindsay's shooting stance well before that WHA nobody or Selanne! :ha: I mean, this is History 101.

The Red Wings' Greatest Captain (and his stance was in bloody opposition to a pre-game death threat! not a showoff move)

*sigh* Sometimes I feel I'm getting old, other times just that the world is going to pot.

Sorry VI, I wasn't aware of the Ted Lindsay shooting stance.:( I only came across the Dennis Abgrall picture today. I've been around long enough to have watched the WHA in person but not long enough to have seen Ted Lindsay. No disrespect was intended for the great Ted Lindsay.

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Okay... you've been on HfBoards for 7 years but that doesn't mean you've been on the History board for most of that time or read a lot of history books over that stretch. (I feel old at this moment.)

That said,...

Thanks for the Dennis whomever pic. It's relevant and interesting in the historical sequence of the shot stance! He had just one significant year in the WHA (28 goals, 60 points in 80 games, the year of that pick):

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Okay... you've been on HfBoards for 7 years but that doesn't mean you've been on the History board for most of that time or read a lot of history books over that stretch. (I feel old at this moment.)

That said,...

Thanks for the Dennis whomever pic. It's relevant and interesting in the historical sequence of the shot stance! He had just one significant year in the WHA (28 goals, 60 points in 80 games, the year of that pick):

Now this was must read material at that point in time! I subscribed from the early 70's to the early 2000's. It went from biblical to a well, shi*....

Last edited:
Reactions: SealsFan

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
April 21, 1951.

Bill Barilko's OT winner wins The Leafs The Cup. It was also Montreal Center Bob Dawes last NHL game. After getting tangled up with Leafs Teeder Kennedy, they fell into the boards, and were both carried off on stretchers.

Kennedy returned later in the game; Dawes never did as the tumble cost him four breaks in his leg. And ended his career. Not pretty.

pic.jpg

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
April 21, 1951.

Bill Barilko's OT winner wins The Leafs The Cup. It was also Montreal Center Bob Dawes last NHL game. After getting tangled up with Leafs Teeder Kennedy, they fell into the boards, and were both carried off on stretchers.

Kennedy returned later in the game; Dawes never did as the tumble cost him four breaks in his leg. And ended his career. Not pretty.

View attachment 106501

This photo was posted about three weeks ago (# 929), although it's true that the injury ended Dawes NHL-career, it didn't end his hockey career, as he was active as a player until 1967.

I also noted that photos (# 967) and (# 970) from DowntownBooster had been posted before in the thread, there are so many photos now in here that it is impossible to remember them all. Anyway, good job DowntownBooster, Howie Hodge, Chief Nine, SealsFan, Killion and all who are contributing with interesting anecdotes and photos, keep it up. :thumbu:

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
March 1967, two greats during a game at the Montreal Forum.
Bobby Orr and Henri Richard battle.Fascinating picture. Clearly shows that Gordie Howe was not the only player able tocreate a security perimeter by using an elbow.Also shows how Henri Richard cradled a rolling puck while by telescoping his stick.
1967HRichardOrr.jpg

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
March 1967, two greats during a game at the Montreal Forum.
Bobby Orr and Henri Richard battle.Fascinating picture. Clearly shows that Gordie Howe was not the only player able tocreate a security perimeter by using an elbow.Also shows how Henri Richard cradled a rolling puck while by telescoping his stick.View attachment 106591

Those boards seem a bit high in that shot, anyone know if were they higher than 4' in those days in the Forum?

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Things you do not see today. From 1959.This picture of the NHL All Stars was taken at Memorial Auditorium in Buffalo, New York on February 17, 1959. The All Stars defeated the Buffalo Bisons 6-2. In the very middle of the picture is Forbes Kennedy who represented the Detroit Red Wings. To his immediate left is The Golden Jet, Bobby Hull, and to his right is Boston Bruins captain Fern Flaman.
1959ASTBuffalo.jpg

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
.... also @Chief Nine .... only time I'm aware of any major discrepancy in board height or whatever (beyond overall rink sizes which as you know varied, Boston Garden etc) was the story of Jacques Plante noticing something odd about the nets at MSG in NY, that they seemed a lot wider than they should be & complained about it... Muzz Patrick the Rangers GM directed by the NHL to measure them & put an end to Plantes imaginings.... only he wasnt imagining it, 3"'s wider than standard.... only Patrick rather than admitting it to the League claimed they were standard & then immediately ordered new nets secretly, replacing the oversized nets dead of night type dealeo. :naughty:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Things you do not see today. From 1959.This picture of the NHL All Stars was taken at Memorial Auditorium in Buffalo, New York on February 17, 1959. The All Stars defeated the Buffalo Bisons 6-2. In the very middle of the picture is Forbes Kennedy who represented the Detroit Red Wings. To his immediate left is The Golden Jet, Bobby Hull, and to his right is Boston Bruins captain Fern Flaman. View attachment 106601

This is interesting, never heard tell of this one before.... why would the NHL be playing an All Star Game against the AHL Bisons in Buffalo in 59? Hershey won the Calder in 58 & 59 I believe so not even the AHL League Champs from the previous season.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
.... also @Chief Nine .... only time I'm aware of any major discrepancy in board height or whatever (beyond overall rink sizes which as you know varied, Boston Garden etc) was the story of Jacques Plante noticing something odd about the nets at MSG in NY, that they seemed a lot wider than they should be & complained about it... Muzz Patrick the Rangers GM directed by the NHL to measure them & put an end to Plantes imaginings.... only he wasnt imagining it, 3"'s wider than standard.... only Patrick rather than admitting it to the League claimed they were standard & then immediately ordered new nets secretly, replacing the oversized nets dead of night type dealeo. :naughty:

I believe there was a story about Larry Bird noticing something like the rims being off at an arena as well. Makes sense that players who are on that level would notice a slight variance that the rest of us mortals would blissfully be well unaware!

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I believe there was a story about Larry Bird noticing something like the rims being off at an arena as well. Makes sense that players who are on that level would notice a slight variance that the rest of us mortals would blissfully be well unaware!

I just found out the actual story of the rims being off was actually Kobe Bryant from one of my coworkers who is a basketball savant. So it wasn't Larry Bird, but the point remains:

That time Kobe detected the rim was 1/4 inch off

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Well.... 3"'s is a lot... where was the Gumper's head at along with all the rest of the Rangers"Snipers" etc, visiting goalies & so on? Little wonder New York absolutely sucked huh? Cheating & it backfires on them. :laugh:

Reactions: Chief Nine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad